HybridZ

Pics of my supercharged L-28

dum-bass

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, MS-ll version lll main board but I ran the supercharger for a year with stock ECU and a FMU and it worked great but I wanted more control over the spark so I switched to megasquirt. The oil all over the front is from the front main seal, that I found out after tearing it down, was shredded by the oil slinger on the crank.

What PSI are you running on your L28? I am working very very slowly on my supercharged forced induction carbed L28. Do you have any HP numbers?

I have a smaller M62 supercharger and will be mounting it in the same area. It is nice to see others supercharger in lieu of turbos.

Definately the hardest part of this project was designing, fabricating and aligning the bracket. I,ll get pics up of that. As far as HP numbers, I can only guess @ 8 psi of boost, ( underdriving the supercharger) probably around 200 HP. I am being conservative on that number and will be dyno tuning with the new motor. I can tell you this though, when you mash the gas pedal, it goes RIGHT NOW!!

what is up with the two throttle bodies? I am assuming the one on the intake is just a dummy?

If you look at the side view, the throttle body attached to the intake doesn't have a throttle rod in it so it probably doesn't have any guts at all, just makes a good mount for the tubing.

thats different, I'd like to see the back of your crank pulley, seems everyone else mounts their 36 -1 wheel on the front of the pulley and I see you went to the back which is what I am about to do, any additional pic's of it?

I second Evil. Mine is mounted to the front as well. My first attempt over a year ago was to put it on the back but I was told that there were flaws in my implementation. Please show us how you mounted the 36 - 1 wheel to the back of the pulley.

The second pic shows the mount to the generator pulley. That is exactly how I wanted to implement it as well. I was advised that this is not the best way to install the 36 - 1 wheel because it is not stable. As it was explained to me, the rubber isolator can shift and change the timing as much as 2 degrees. The other issue is, over time the position of the pulley can shift or completely delaminate. This is why the wheel is mounted to to the solid part of the dampner. It may work well for you but be aware of the issues associated with it.

This is true and I agree, I am trying to figure out a better way to mount the trigger wheel this time around. I may be able to have one hollow ground to clear the rubber dampener ring and the timing cover. I have checked my timing regularly for slippage and it has not happened. There are also people in the megasquirt forum that mounted the same way with no probs yet but still, this is not the best way..

Check out the back of the 81 ZXT Dampner---the trigger wheel for the 81 CAS bolts to the center of the pulley, and there is a ring of bolts (5 of them) as well as a locating dowel to pin the CAS wheel in place. If nothing else, modification of the OEM 81 ZXT CAS Trigger Wheel to 36-2 configuration, or mounting the EDIS Trigger Wheel to the 81 CAS Trigger Assembly suitably modified would seem to be pretty straightforward. Bolting or welding should accomplish what you need.

Check my CarDomain page for some photos of the 81 CAS setup (I think there is a link to it in the Megasquirt Forum)---looks like you could use the original 81 CAS bracketry to fab up the EDIS Sensor pickup point as well, and have some adjustability to boot!

Check out the back of the 81 ZXT Dampner---the trigger wheel for the 81 CAS bolts to the center of the pulley, and there is a ring of bolts (5 of them) as well as a locating dowel to pin the CAS wheel in place. If nothing else, modification of the OEM 81 ZXT CAS Trigger Wheel to 36-2 configuration, or mounting the EDIS Trigger Wheel to the 81 CAS Trigger Assembly suitably modified would seem to be pretty straightforward. Bolting or welding should accomplish what you need.

Check my CarDomain page for some photos of the 81 CAS setup (I think there is a link to it in the Megasquirt Forum)---looks like you could use the original 81 CAS bracketry to fab up the EDIS Sensor pickup point as well, and have some adjustability to boot!

Thanx for the input!

Is there a short answer regarding the supercharger versus turbocharger decision? I don't want to derail your thread, but it's so rare to see this topic.

To an inexperienced mechanic, I'd much rather deal with a belt-driven device than hot exhaust, all that piping and an impeller running at tens of thousands of rpm. Thanks.

:hijack:Darn it Tony! I have just spent an hour looking and messing with the slipping crank pulley you gave me some time back. Now I only have more questions than answers. The only answer I have is yes it is possible to mount a Ford EDIS 36-1 tooth wheel to the stock 81 ZXT CAS trigger wheel. The middle pulley is larger than my stock pulley. This drives my A/C unit. Is a larger pulley acceptable? Why is the rubber dampner between the alternator pulley and the pulley mount? Why is it not hard mounted like the A/C and P/S pulleys?