HybridZ

Mechanical Speedo drive swap into RB25 Gearbox

Mike Rowe

I believe the RB20 gearbox has a mechanical speedo drive and the RB25 gearbox an electronic drive. Does anyone know if it is possible to interchange the electronic drive for the mechanical drive in order to drive the standard 260Z speedo?

My apologies, I have just seen and read the whole thread below (photo of a speedo sensor) which covers a lot of this. However the question I have raised regarding the RB20 mechanical sensor hasnt been covered - does anyone know?

Second question some have mentioned the R32 RB26 speedo gearbox drive is mechanical - has anyone tried interchanging this successfully?

• 2 months later...

For those who are interested I have found a mechanical drive for the gearbox so that you can use the standard 240/260Z speedo when putting in the RB26/25 motor and RB25 gearbox.

Pinion Assembley Nissan Navara Model D21 Part No: 3270202G17 A$47.45 incl GST

The Nissan Navara is a Nissan Hardbody (D21) truck... with the manufacture years (1986.5-1994)

This is the list I have for all parts labeled 32702.. i unfortunately can not find the "02g17"

http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_result.php?keywords=[32702]+(d21&cPath=3178_3179_3244_3257

I'm trying to assume.. I need one from a manual transmission, between the years of 1990-1994 when the 300zx was manufactured. (i know Z32's were 90-96.. but the D21 was only manufactured. till 1994). Otherwise all the parts listed are for the KA24 or the VG30.

So now I am narrowing this down to a Manual Transmission VG30... which I can only find this part..

http://www.courtesyparts.com/32702-pinion-assy-speedometer-truck-d21-1990-1992-kc2wdvg30emtf5-1988-1989-tkcsevg302wdmtf5-19865-1987-p-115916.html?cPath=3178_3179_3244_3257&

I called up Courtesy Nissan today and spoke at length to a gentlemen by the name of Jacob. He was incredibly helpful and we determined that the post 1993 pinion assemblies are electronic. The pre-1993 assemblies are mechanical. He even did a quick web search and found a site that showed the pre-1993 assemblies and they are indeed mechanical.

Prox, you were close on Courtesy's page, but try this link instead:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/hardbody-truck-d21-19865-1994/genuine-nissan-parts/power-train/330-transfer-assembly-fitting/-c-3178_3179_3244_3261.html

It is part 32702M at the lower right hand corner. Mouse over the part number and it provides a little more information. The part is approximately $35 shipped. I do not know at this time if the mechanical sender will bolt up directly to the Z cable, but this is a start!

When I called (and placed my order this morning), there were only two (2) of the mechanical senders setup for 3.70 (blue) in the country. I am hoping to get my sender by the end of next week/first of the following week.

I am having problems making ends of these threads. My ignorance may just be that I havent purchased the engine set yet to see what everyone is talking about.

I am trying to gather all the info I possibly can before I go down this road of swaping an RB into my Z.

From what Im gathering Pre 93 cars will have a mechanical sensor, but new than 93 will have a electronic sensor. Is that correct? Or was that just for the hardbody application and has nothing to do with the RB engines.

I am pretty set on swapping a RB25 engine set in. I guess I will find out what is going on when I actually get my engine. For those of you guys that have a Z with the electronic speed sensor and want to run the mechanical speedos, what are you doing? Swapping in a different speedo?

Im hoping someone can shed some light on this stuff.

Thanks

What the thread is about is that when you use the RB25 gearbox it has an electronic drive for the speedo. If you want to use the original Z speedo then you need a mechanical drive to put in the RB25 gearbox. The part being discussed is a mechanical insert or pinion assembley that will go in the RB25 gearbox from another (Navara) Nissan model. Is that clear.