HybridZ

1990 infiniti m30 parts on 79 datsun 280zx

I have a 1990 infiniti m30 with new brakes, struts, bearing ect. in the suspension, I am in the process of going through the suspension of my 79 datsun, I was wondering if anyone knew if I could use the parts off of the infiniti on my datsun, I read on f131club that the 280zx stuts make the m30 sit higher, i was thinking the infiniti parts would lower my dastun, but im not sure about the fronts, and the brakes, they are much bigger on the infiniti, and i would love to change them over, I have a set of 16 inch wheels and will be ordering spacers very soon, I have both cars now, will be tearing down the infiniti soon in prep of sbc swap, already test fit engine, looking for a solid axle to put in rear, and suspension parts for the infiniti, everything is being gutted out of the ininiti, so I have all those parts at my disposal

going to start tearing the rear end out from under the infiniti tomorrow, I like the bigger brakes, and the cv shafts. overrall width of the two cars is similar, just over 60 inches, but the rear suspension crossbember on the infiniti is about 4 inches wider, control arm mounting points are very close to the same width, and the control arms are set up almost identical, hoping the infiniti struts will lower my car 1-2", and be stiffer, given the weight difference of the two cars, maybe control rear end dive a little.

• 9 months later...

So, after almost a year of running on wore out 280zx springs in the rear, and cheap ass gabriel struts, I got fed up with my noodle suspension and pulled the infiniti strut assemblys. The things bolted right in. Got maybe a half an inch of drop, if that. The Infiniti springs are slightly stiffer, but not excessive, and I now have three way adjustable struts in the rear, so far I have only used the stiff and soft settings, but the soft is good for driving, and the stiff is good for handling. I am going to pull the fronts off of the infiniti tomorrow. The springs look like they are very close, but might be too stiff, as the zx fronts are still plenty stiff. I will post some pics of the car soon.

You probably already know this, but the chassis code for the m30 is f31. I dont know how close the f31 chassis is to the 300z, but I know that it looks almost identical to the 280zx suspension. I didnt get much of a chance to drive the m30, so I couldnt compare the two. So far the only things I have changed are the strut assembly's. The strut mounting points on the m30 arms are about an inch higher, hence my assumtion that the 280zx would be lowered. Other than that, I dont know what is different as far as actual part dimensions, and I will not know until I get into the m30 more.

I have been driving the car now for a couple weeks with the infiniti struts. I now drive with the struts set on hard all the time. The car is much more responsive and sticks a lot better around corners. The combination of the infiniti spring and struts, and the sumitomo tires is absolutely incredible. If you are looking to maintain a stock ride height, but get a better more responsive ride I would definitly reccomend this setup. The rear end squat on acceleration is almost nothing now. The car hooks up very well, and doesnt break traction nearly as easy as before. Good stuff. Cornering is incredible.

• 1 year later...

Little update, broke a stub shaft in the early part of the summer, so I took the whole control arms, and c.v. shafts, and pig out of the Infiniti, and bolted them to the Datsun crossmember. The parts bolted on and it only needs some slight adjustments to the toe, maybe some to the camber. I have to have a driveshaft made up because the flange on the pig is different, but I needed a new driveshaft anyway, U-joints were bad. Gonna get one made up with replaceable U-joints.

Little update, broke a stub shaft in the early part of the summer, so I took the whole control arms, and c.v. shafts, and pig out of the Infiniti, and bolted them to the Datsun crossmember. The parts bolted on and it only needs some slight adjustments to the toe, maybe some to the camber. I have to have a driveshaft made up because the flange on the pig is different, but I needed a new driveshaft anyway, U-joints were bad. Gonna get one made up with replaceable U-joints.

You should really post some pictures up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are a couple pics. one shows unfixed toe, other shows the camber. These are just from bolting the parts together, Infiniti arms on Datsun crossmember. I have to pull the whole rear out to slot the arms to correct toe. The camber is much worse after the car has been moved..I had just jacked the rear up and set it back down before the pics. Also a pic of the new driveshaft.

post-1426-048881700 1299600721_thumb.jpg

post-1426-081825900 1299600735_thumb.jpg

post-1426-089002200 1299600983_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

OK, I am ready to have the crossmember modified for the Infiniti swap. I am going to use the Infiniti crossmember, control arms, differential, and cv shafts.

I was looking for bushings to use because I cant get the old ones out to try to save them, haven't tried heat, but that will destroy the bushings anyway.

The Infiniti bushings are bigger around, so I think they will add too much slop, and I think the smaller Datsun bushings will be easier to work with as far as spacing on the crossmember.

I haven't been able to find a 280zx specific bushing for the subframe and I was wondering if anybody had a part number or something close.

I am cutting the ends of the crossmember off and having new mounts welded on so outer diameter doesn't matter too much..but the inner diameter does as this has to mount on the original bolts in the car.

Edited by freakshow

• 5 months later...

OK, I am ready to have the crossmember modified for the Infiniti swap. I am going to use the Infiniti crossmember, control arms, differential, and cv shafts.

I was looking for bushings to use because I cant get the old ones out to try to save them, haven't tried heat, but that will destroy the bushings anyway.

The Infiniti bushings are bigger around, so I think they will add too much slop, and I think the smaller Datsun bushings will be easier to work with as far as spacing on the crossmember.

I haven't been able to find a 280zx specific bushing for the subframe and I was wondering if anybody had a part number or something close.

I am cutting the ends of the crossmember off and having new mounts welded on so outer diameter doesn't matter too much..but the inner diameter does as this has to mount on the original bolts in the car.

Where are you on this modnow? Any pics available? I'm thinking of doing this myself.

• 1 month later...