HybridZ

Windshield install?

Piece of cake! Place the rubber seal on the windshield glass and make sure it is nicely seated in the bottom of the channel of the rubber all the way around the glass. Now go down to the hardware store and get a nice fat (3/8" or so), soft cotton (or other soft to the touch) rope and than grab a spray can of white grease. Spray the white grease in the channel of the rubber gasket for the window frame, lay the rope all the way around the rubber channel over the grease so that the ends are at the bottom of the glass. Spray a bit more over the top of the rope. Now place the glass on the cars window frame and gently pull the rope both right and left at the same time not getting ahead on either side. This may take a few tries to get it right but it should work. If it doesn't seem to be going in smoothly stop and restart. You don't want to bind the window too much or it will break. You may even want to add a little white grease to the window frame before the rubber is placed over it. The white grease will help lubricate and pull the rubber into place and the rope will pull the rubber back and allow the edge to overlap the window frame lip. I have done this may times on many different cars (I used to work in an auto body and paint shop). Now go drink a beer and rejoice in your success. Cheers!

I've done the trim both ways. I did it on the car this time. I find that the gasket moves too much for me to get the trim in place unless it is on the car.

If you have done the glass trim and spindle pin you are a real Z guy. Both can be a royal PIA.

Installing the front windshield and the rear hatch glass was the easiest thing I have done on my 77 280z. A second person to help push it down is very important to make it go easier and faster. It took me 5-10 minutes per glass and I have never done this before. I was afraid to do it at first. I think I spent more time looking at it sitting in my garage and making the plan in my mind then actually installing it.

First I installed the weatherstrip on the glass and then inserted the phone cord in the weatherstrip channel that will rest on the lip of the car window frame. Then I sprayed the dish washing liquid solution around the whole weatherstrip and the car window frame. Then I put the glass on the window frame.

I done the hatch first because I had the hatch out. I put the hatch on four 4x4s on each end. I had my 4 yr old daughter sit on the glass while I pulled the phone cord from the other side. I instructed her to move her behind as I pulled the cord so her weight pressure pushed the glass down where the cord was and then I pulled the cord.

On the front I did the same thing except I had my son sit on the hood and push the glass down with his hands as I pulled the cord.

I'm telling you it was so easy. I couldn't believe it after I was done.

I did not install the trim because I don't like the trim.

Start the cord on the lower part of the rubber, right in the middle. Before you start pulling hte cord, have the rubber set over the lip on the windshield frame on the lower part. Make sure the glass is centered left to right. Pull slowly and do a little on one side and then pull the cord to the other side. Work the rubber with your fingers as it pulls in to place.

Get the bottom done and slowly move up the sides.

I started off by just installing the rubber on the glass. It is supposed to be tight and just takes a little work. I put masking tape over it as I went to hold it. After that slip in the metal trim, slide one edge under the rubber edge and then using a screwdriver pull the other rubber edge on. Thats what worked for me. You can then use the cord as described above.

Oh you are at step one, trying to install the rubber on the glass. Sorry I should have mentioned this earlier but I had the same problem. The rubber kept coming out. So I used weathertrip glue and put a very very small amount in the rubber channel every six inches apart. Then I put the rubber on the glass and then I taped the rubber to the glass as I moved to the next section so it wouldn't come out. After it dried I took the tape off and put the glass on car. The glue served two purposes. It held the rubber on the glass while I was installing the rubber on the glass and then it held the rubber on the glass while I was installing the glass on the car.

:P First thing, you should do is stick the rubber gasket out in the sun and let it warm-up for a short time. Start at the top corner and place the rubber over the glass and work the glass edge into the gasket channel. Move left or right and keep placing the gasket onto the glass. It will take some effort, but keep at it, you may have to stretch it some to get over the very last part of it. Once the gasket is on the glass, place it back in the sun and let it sit for a short time to warm-up. Then place the window trim into the channel on front of the gasket. Long strips first and then the real small pieces last. I used two real small flat tip screwdrivers to lift the rubber lip over the trim and fit it under the rubber lip. Be careful here, you can rip the rubber. After that you can use all of the advice above and install the glass into the car.:mparty: It may be a battle, but well worth it. I can now see out of it now without all of pitting (hard to see anything going into the sun) that was in the old glass. Good Luck, Rich.

I also want to confirm that using masking tape to hold the weatherstripping in place as you put it on the glass really helps.

And, after you get the weatherstripping on the glass, put the trim in before you install the glass in the car. It is so much easier than trying to do it with the glass installed. Again, just use tape to hold it in place until you're done.

Nigel

'73 240ZT