HybridZ

Retrofit drum brake wheel cylinder for early S30s?

Okay, okay, it is tantamount to HybridZ blasphemy to consider finding an alternative like what I propose here....

...but rear wheel cylinders have been NLA for 70-76 cars for some time now. I know ALL about the various rear disc swaps (at one point, I had every last BOLT I needed, calipers, rotors, brackets from an 84 maxima.. all in a bucket, and the bucket walked away) but for discussions' sake..

Has NOBODY found some rear wheel cylinder that can be used on a 240/260/early 280 rear drum setup?? Any simple modifications of other brakes??

I mean, its a DRUM BRAKE CYLINDER. We aren't talking about a lower control arm, or a water pump, or even a shock absorber setup. A simple cylinder with two pistons that expands when fluid is forced into it. Preferably something that bolts up to the stock mounting points with ease, but if it were THAT simple I don't believe no one has found an answer yet.

I keep turning the ideas over in my head, because THIS is the biggest single budget item keeping my car off the road; I cannot accept the idea that a disc swap is my ONLY option. (The last set of wheel cylinders *I* saw on ebay went for $160 plus shipping!) I keep thinking to myself, "Shawn, one of these days you are going to have to go junkyarding to find a rear wheel cylinder solution..." but, I figured I would start a thread to see if anyone else has had similar thoughts; see if anyone tried anything, and maybe (JUST maybe) see if anyone had any results.

The only goal is to be an inexpensive solution for rear brakes, given that your original wheel cylinders are shot, and you weren't one of those crafty buggers who stocked up on them back in the 1994..... Any comments, experiences, ideas, or research assistance (someone else to go junkyarding "in search of...") are welcome :icon10:

Courtesy nissan has the correct wheel cylinders for $68.00 each. Other than a lot of work swapping to a later model set up, I would bite the bullet and spend the money for a proven setup, and reliable parking brake.

I checked with courtesy Nissan not too long ago, and they said they were NLA at least for my 1976. Oreilly auto parts was the only place I could find a replacement part and they only had the passenger side assembly for about $80... of course my drivers side was the one that was leaking. I ended up just getting the rebuild kit for both sides and that has worked so far.

Sorry I can't be of anymore help than that, I have not searched for any other solutions as I plan on upgrading to discs eventually.

Kevin

I had the same issue. I rebuilt mine, but they still leaked after a couple of months. There was pitting in the metal, and there's nothing you can do about that.

I hated the inconsistent pedal at the track and constant adjustments that came with those drums, so I ordered the Modern Motorsports setup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240z-260z-280z-Brake-Wheel-Cylinders-70-76-NOS_W0QQitemZ220262722553QQihZ012QQcategoryZ6763QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bendix p/n 33782 $68.99 at Advance Auto

Dorman Part Number: W96878 (left) $68.99 at Advance Auto

Dorman Part Number: W96879 (right) $68.99 at Advance Auto

Brakeware p/n 33782 (right-pass) $43.99 at Autozone.com

Brakeware p/n 33735 (left-driver) $44.99 at Autozone.com

Well, gee, I could have SWORN I had checked AUTOZONE at least!!!:twak:

Thanks for the clue-bat everyone.. now I just need to determine whether I CAN, decide whether I WANT to spend $70 on a pair of beck/arnley rebuild kits... I can't see spending $45 apiece on El Cheapo wheel cylinders, and only one side beck/arnley is still available at $77!!!

My apologies, but in my defense I had ALL the pieces to install 280ZX rear disc brakes on my car (even very low mileage rotos, rebuilt calipers and PADS I would have re used!!) with the old RWD maxima brackets that I spent 2 years hunting (and about four hours removing) all sitting in a bucket..... that disappeared mysteriously, :icon50:so I am somewhat vexed on the subject of rear brakes. I DON'T have the money to go installing discs on at the moment, so I am making sure I know everything I can about all possible solutions before I make a decision.

I think it was Adam Carolla who I first heard say that, the worst thing about being poor is, you have a *little* bit of money, and you have to CHOOSE what you spend it on. sometimes this bill, sometimes that bill.. sometimes rear disc brakes... :icon53::hs:

I know I checked auto zone and they were listed but the guy at the parts counter said they were unavailable.

You might just try a rebuild kit if the metal isn't too pitted.

I picked up the rebuild kit (which is essentially a replacement dust seal and the actual fluid seal) for $9 a side and sanded the cylinders down a little with some 1500 grit sandpaper.

I have hardly driven the car, but they have worked thus far.

Might be a temporary solution until you can get around to the disc swap.

The part # i used was:

BRAKE BEST - WHL CYL KIT (76-72 NISSAN)

Item No: WCK96855

This is from O'Reilly auto parts.

Kevin

I'll second the Carquest endorsement. I bought mine from them a while back. They had to order them in to the store through worldpac. WPC 1F20419900A was their part number, and they are genuine Nissan parts in all the appropriate packaging and everything. Had them in after just a few days. I was surprised to see Genuine Nissan logos too.

• 9 years later...

I know I'm almost 10 years late to this party, but just FYI... I used the later wheel cylinders for the 73 - 76 z on my 71 240.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic21a09/24-5102A

The MSA price on the old early Z style cylinders was almost $200 ea., the 73 to 76 style was less than $40 ea.

Just had to change the bend from the old angle to the new 90 degree in the brake line on the baking plate which wasn't a big deal;

59fcac0c6296a_WheelCylinder.thumb.jpg.afab1ac657b8f1176985865660968681.jpg