HybridZ

Tt Sho 240z

JGSturbo

Just picked up a 71 240Z today (needs some resto but its straight and rust/dent free) that will be getting my built TT SHO engine from my old Probe :icon7: . I've been looking for a good home for my engine since I'm disgusted with my old probe... I've had it for over 10 years and it just rots in my driveway since I refuse to drive a FWD peg leg mobile. But before I parked it I did a FULL build on the SHO engine, Large T28 turbos, etc.

The intake will be turned around and installed waaaay back on the S30.

THe engine was already setup and tuned on a Haltech E6X so a nice fresh harness will have it running in no time.

ttsho210.jpg

Thought I'd share... We'll be starting on it this winter.

240z 001_thumb.jpg

240z 003_thumb.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about the project section as soon as I posted this ...

I already have the perfect intercooler set aside, same core I donated to Jeremy for the pinks Z :-D I've been a lurker here for a while.

I seem to have a ton of nissan projects.

The SHO engine isn't a ford engine, it's a Yamaha engine ;)

Anything wrong with either name though? Both companies have had their moments.

I'll be following this swap for sure. The more pics the better. VERY light motor and should offer a very good weight balance to work off of.

• Administrators

Don’t know if this helps or not but I did test fit a bone stock SHO 3.0 V-6 into a ’76 Z car shell a little while back.

These threads linked below cover a few of the obvious aspects of the SHO-Z conversion that I discovered during the mock up phase, of that now defunct project, (would make for a wonderful HybridZ car, especially boosted!!!)

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=94815

Several more pictures of the mock up in this thread…

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121961

TopLarge.jpg

Top1Medium.jpg

Keep us posted.

Those definitely help! Thanks alot.

Turning around the intake should help the cause a bit.

She's going to suckup some room but its the price you pay for a DOHC V6.

If you ever visit Coos Bay let me know. :-D

I see a side kicked out sumped pan in my future... and a shortened oil pickup.

Glad I'm only running the water pump and alternator.

Just savaged a spare SHO pan from the scrap bin... I might need to move my drains as well, maybe not.

Sounds like modding the cam cover is sounding better to avoid having to lop a ton off the pan. Open cam covers would be neat if I could kept the crank sensor from getting crap in it.

Maybe its time for my first dry sump :coollook:

I guarantee this one will happen one way or the other.

Also I have the 3.2L Auto engine of which the pan maybe a little different. I remember something about the automatic's engine postion being a little different.

The SHO engine isn't a ford engine, it's a Yamaha engine ;)

Yes, I know that it is technically a Yamaha enigne, but it was installed and sold as a ford. I find the engine interesting no matter who actually produced it. How would one ask for a replacement at an engine shop, "yeah, I need a ford sho engine assembly" or " I need a yamaha sho engine assembly".

I started a SHO conversion but had too many problems getting parts, couldn't deal with the AZ wrecking yards. Had the engine with the intake turned around and with wiring harness done. Then got my money back due to the wrecking yard not coming through with all that was promised. The engine is very tall, the pan needs to be trimed to get any ground clearance.

This is the best write up on conversions on SHO:

http://members.cox.net/rdgrauman/Healey.html

I will send you a spread sheet on the wiring.

Good luck

Hey I am only aware of one TT SHO powered Probe so I think I know that engine. You would need to mate it up to a strong clutch and probably have the T5 built. Or if you go AOD then you would definetly need to buy or build a performance one. I am still contemplating this swap as I am restoring the body and working on my 240z. Mine would not be turbo though, I would rather go supercharger since there is plenty of room in front of the motor. Anyways the SHO motor is not the best choice as far as power to weight ratio goes or simplicity of fabricating it in there but it is awesome in so many other ways. Plus no one can resist the beautiful intake manifold especially if you polish it! Goodluck!

Guest agentc73

What Tranny ARE ya gonna use?

I may be WAAAY off here, but awhile ago I was really considering a SHO for a project long abandoned.

I notice the Ranger Manual Trans Bolt pattern and Mating surface looked identical to the SHO's.

Not saying it WILL mate up, or that it would survive long.

Might be something to check out, though....

Adapting a 350Z 6spd mainly because I have one.:-D

Here's the engine I salvaged :chacha: Spent last night measuring my bellhousings for my adapter, having a junk VQ35DE block (what bolts to the 350Z 6 speed) is handy.

Its the japanesse T56 M/L but alot more common. Also I'll be converting it to a top mounted shifter (like a truck) because the factory one would be behind the driver seat :sour:.

I did discover the 3.0L Ranger bellhousing will mate to a T5 type trans but I'm set on the nissan box... even the nissan pilot bearing is the right size for the crank.

240z 005_thumb.jpg

Never mind on the 3.0L Ranger trans, none have removable bell housings...

So the Aerostar is definitely IT.

I did hit a little snag on my adapter... the starter bolt go in from the wrong side. BUT there does seem like there is still hope even if I have to use an aftermarket mini starter. It would be nice to get it mounted on the passenger side. WORSE case I'll have to pull back the trans to change starters.

MUST ACCOMPLISH... MUST have 6 gears :x