HybridZ

Crankshaft Depot 3D Plus???

twinturbos

• 2 years later...

Yes there has been a number of post about those rods. The big end is too narrow to use.

I've just done a search for crankshaft depot and only found one other thread on these rods.

Are these the same ones that have a too narrow big end?:

Ebay L28 Forged Rods

The old ebay links in this and the other thread no longer work.

There was also mention of better rods for a similar price any leads on where that might be?

I'm actually after FJ20DET rods FWIW.

I've just done a search for crankshaft depot and only found one other thread on these rods.

Are these the same ones that have a too narrow big end?:

Ebay L28 Forged Rods

The old ebay links in this and the other thread no longer work.

There was also mention of better rods for a similar price any leads on where that might be?

I'm actually after FJ20DET rods FWIW.

These look almost identical to some rods that I picked up. Seems like a good deal to me. They are stock L28 length, and require floating pin. So you need to run forged pistons with these.

These look almost identical to some rods that I picked up. Seems like a good deal to me. They are stock L28 length, and require floating pin. So you need to run forged pistons with these.

Yeah i plan on running custom forged anyway because i want 140mm long rods. What brand are the ones you have that are similar?

Floating piston pins are not always forged. This is not a criteria for running floating rods/pins.

Sorry Tony i should have been more clear i meant i was going a custom forged pistons so specifying a floating pin is not an issue.

I am going to run tefflon button type setup irrespective.

I figure with the 4g difference that the whole rotating assemlby needs to be balanced anyway so it would be a big deal.

The rods can be machined to balance can't they?

If you're going to properly balance a set of rods you need to weigh the rod itself, the small end of the rod, and the big end of the rod. This requires the appropriate set-up (which really doesn't look like it's too hard to assemble) for weighing each end.

Maybe Tony can chime in on target tolerances for weights, but +/- 0.5g on all measurements is what I planed for a friend's stroker build.

Edited by cockerstar

"Within 4g a set" is what I would tolerate if I was a proponent (not merely an amused voter for) California's Proposition 19...

I agree, there are plenty of accurate drug scales out there (hey, c'mon, who ELES buys something that weighs fractions of a gram for gawd's sake!) that 0.5G tolerance is easily attainable. 4g / Set is some sort of raw produciton tolerance definately not what I'd 'slap in and run'...

As for Teflon Buttons, recall elsewhere I stated our Bonny engine walked the PRESSED IN pins, and that as a result of that little experience, we installed teflon buttons in the ends of our PRESSED IN pins!

As for the forged/cast pistons and floaters...The VW stuff formerly was ALL forged stuff, and recently they started selling cast pistons (crap) for them, which retain the floating pin design. Same for several other setups I am familiar with... what got me to state it was the "They are stock L28 length, and require floating pin. So you need to run forged pistons with these." Made it sound like you had to have forged pistons to run floaters, and since the rods are set up to run floaters, then you have to run forged to use the floaters... Obviously if you are running light rods, you don't want cast pistons because you will be twisting the engine somewhat tightly and cast won't cut it.

Forged is fun... :huh:

Yeah i plan on running custom forged anyway because i want 140mm long rods. What brand are the ones you have that are similar?

I don't know what brand. The ones I have are 133mm and came from a bunch of Bob Sharp stuff I got.

I found the same thing but for an L24 rod and twice the cost in Australia.... Its sketchy because its cheap and it looks like they just copied and pasted the Corillo rod specs onto the auction.

Whats this about being to narrow. Definitely don't want any of us buying something that won't work.

I found the same thing but for an L24 rod and twice the cost in Australia.... Its sketchy because its cheap and it looks like they just copied and pasted the Corillo rod specs onto the auction.

Whats this about being to narrow. Definitely don't want any of us buying something that won't work.

With the way the exchange rate is at the moment the Aussie dollar is actually stronger than the US so they are a frigging bargain at that price even with shipping!

I agree, there are plenty of accurate drug scales out there (hey, c'mon, who ELES buys something that weighs fractions of a gram for gawd's sake!)

I'd never use a scale that can't manage tiny fractions of a gram for my reloading :P it can be only 0.1gm difference between a bullet blowing forward through a deer and a fractured bolt blowing back through your face :P 0.01gm is better :D 0.01gr is best :D