HybridZ

2JZ-GTE Auto/R-154 Swap

script

Have a look here as well, 1J is same conversion as 2J.

http://www.jzx100.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2012&hl=r154+swap

If you start with the box out of a Chaser or Soarer with the longer shifter extension it will make your life easier than with the shorter one from a Mk3 (JDM)Supra.

(The Mk4 Supra NA uses a W58 5 speed)

Soarer Chaser R154 shifter extersion_thumb.jpg

With all the right parts it's not too much trouble at all. Like he said, R154 with a JDM 1JZ bellhousing and the correct shifter extension are required.

I recently did this swap into a Lexus GS300, using a MkIII Turbo Supra flywheel and clutch. I had to fabricate the extension for the stick to come up in the right place in the GS's console.

In a Z car some adapting would be required to connect the clutch slave to the Z master, but that's about it.

Guest YoshiFD3S

The reason you're finding automatic tranny 2J's is because they're coming out of the Toyota Aristo, also known as our GS300.

The primary differences are the turbo's and the injectors of the Aristo 2J's, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm in the process of doing a 2JZ swap into my '93 RX-7, although I've been considering scrapping those plans to do the swap in a Z instead.

I'm starting to see why my brother loves his Z's so much. lol :P

My brother's already built a 440rwhp RB25 '78 280Z, has a wide-body 240Z waiting for a motor, and a 4-door '71 510 that's having a role-cage installed to handle a beasty 500rwhp turbo KA24 motor.

Guest YoshiFD3S
Are these motors still worth getting even though they are out of an Aristo? And another newb question while im at it. Has anyone with an imported 2JZ been able to do the proper modifications to pass USA emissions laws?

I'll be using an Aristo 2JZ motor, myself.

As soon as you go single turbo, the only real significant remaining difference between it and a Supra 2JZ, is the injectors. I think the Aristo's are like 440 and the Supra are 550? Something like that...

Emissions-wise? I should THINK that with a simple catalytic converter and the right tune, it should pass. At least that's what I'm hoping.

This just crossed my mind....but with all of the Z's being 30+ years old...doesn't your state waive emissions for it? lol.... Just curious??

With all the right parts it's not too much trouble at all. Like he said, R154 with a JDM 1JZ bellhousing and the correct shifter extension are required.

I recently did this swap into a Lexus GS300, using a MkIII Turbo Supra flywheel and clutch. I had to fabricate the extension for the stick to come up in the right place in the GS's console.

In a Z car some adapting would be required to connect the clutch slave to the Z master, but that's about it.

It's been my understanding a 1JZ flywheel was necessary as the MKIII Supra flywheel wasn't quite the same. I know the clutch and disc work fine.

It's been my understanding a 1JZ flywheel was necessary as the MKIII Supra flywheel wasn't quite the same. I know the clutch and disc work fine.

You are correct - The MkIII Supra flywheel has the 7MGTE crank bolt pattern, not the 1J/2jZ one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
its really good to hear that a 1jz tranny can work with the 2jz engine. but does it need an adapter to fit or does it bolt directly?
Soarer bell housing and Soarer flywheel. Actually, if you have a 5spd 1JZ tranny, then you already have what you need. Or you can use a MKIII Supra Turbo R154 and buy a 1JZ/Soarer bellhousing to mount it to the 2JZ.

You can do a Google search or find all the answers to your 2JZ swap questions here; this is a hotly discussed topic on any 2JZ site. You're going to get a lot of your posts deleted or sent to the Tool Shed, fyi - more searching and reading.... less posting.

with betamotorsports crossmemeber you dont even need a shifter extension.. mine fits perfectly in the stock location.

i have a 2jzgte with a r154

the list you need~

1jz bell housing to mate to the r154

1jz clutch/flywheel

2jz pilot bearing (autos dont come with it)

2jz throw out bearing

then :burnout:

with betamotorsports crossmemeber you dont even need a shifter extension.. mine fits perfectly in the stock location.

i have a 2jzgte with a r154

the list you need~

1jz bell housing to mate to the r154

1jz clutch/flywheel

2jz pilot bearing (autos dont come with it)

2jz throw out bearing

then :burnout:

7MGTE throw out bearing doesn't work? I thought it did.

Speeder said he used the 7MGTE flywheel, but I believe he misspoke - the 7M's crank bolt-pattern is 6 holes, not the 8 of the 2JZ's. I imagine he did what I plan to do - get a non-turbo 2JZ flywheel and have the pressure-plate-to-flywheel bolt pattern matched to my 7M pressure plate I already have.

7M flywheel (aftermarket, I suppose)

projx6_3.jpg

2JZ flywheel (aftermarket, though)

DSC02529.JPG

Regarding shifter extensions, some people are okay with how far forward the shifter is in the hole and some people don't want their engines all the way up against the firewall. There is/was a factory extension that cost $80 total to have your shifter come out about 1.5" further back than a stock Supra R154. I'll just wait and see where mine ends up and decide what to do. At most, I imagine I could be wanting 2" further back than what I'll end up with.

i would think that would work...but why go through the time of gettn the holes matched when a 1jz flywheel bolts right up? or did i miss read u?
I'm assuming I can find a 2JZ non-turbo flywheel for $0-$20 and the modifications to it should be under $100. Let's say my numbers are a bit off and it comes out to $150 - I'm still more than $100 LESS than the cost of a new, OEM 1JZ flywheel.

I've been having to pinch pennies lately and this is one more way to do it.

I'm assuming I can find a 2JZ non-turbo flywheel for $0-$20 and the modifications to it should be under $100. Let's say my numbers are a bit off and it comes out to $150 - I'm still more than $100 LESS than the cost of a new, OEM 1JZ flywheel.

I've been having to pinch pennies lately and this is one more way to do it.

i see, i just dont like the idea of drilln holes into a flywheel thats spinning so fast...