HybridZ

2JZ-GTE Auto/R-154 Swap

script

i see, i just dont like the idea of drilln holes into a flywheel thats spinning so fast...

Understood, but there's a lot of stuff that gets machined or drilled and is trusted to spin very fast. Besides, flywheels are drilled from the factory - it's not a cast piece. I'll be paying a professional machinist to drill it the correct pattern and do it, well, professionally. :)

Understood, but there's a lot of stuff that gets machined or drilled and is trusted to spin very fast. Besides, flywheels are drilled from the factory - it's not a cast piece. I'll be paying a professional machinist to drill it the correct pattern and do it, well, professionally. :)

lol sounds like a plan, im sure it will work.

I'm assuming I can find a 2JZ non-turbo flywheel for $0-$20 and the modifications to it should be under $100. Let's say my numbers are a bit off and it comes out to $150 - I'm still more than $100 LESS than the cost of a new, OEM 1JZ flywheel.

Do some checking before you buy, The Mk4 Supra NA,Manual does not use an R154, it has a W58, not sure about flywheel compatability, not sure about what box the NA Soarers used.

I'm assuming I can find a 2JZ non-turbo flywheel for $0-$20 and the modifications to it should be under $100. Let's say my numbers are a bit off and it comes out to $150 - I'm still more than $100 LESS than the cost of a new' date=' OEM 1JZ flywheel.

Do some checking before you buy, The Mk4 Supra NA,Manual does not use an R154, it has a W58, not sure about flywheel compatability, not sure about what box the NA Soarers used.[/quote']

It's been confirmed and done by a few others.

• 5 weeks later...
gripforce.com has 1JZ-GTE light weight chromoly flywheels that weigh 13.5LBS on ebay. Item number: 390022097114

There are lighter out there, I am using one, chrome moly, that weighs in at 11 pounds, sorry ,can't help with manufacturer as it was included in the price of the gearbox,(sticker in picture just says "clean and remove the sticker":rolleyesg)

flywheel 005

Also, make sure that whoever supplies the flywheel can also supply bolts with the correct size shank and length.

• 2 weeks later...
gripforce.com has 1JZ-GTE light weight chromoly flywheels that weigh 13.5LBS on ebay. Item number: 390022097114

There are lighter out there' date=' I am using one, chrome moly, that weighs in at 11 pounds, sorry ,can't help with manufacturer as it was included in the price of the gearbox,(sticker in picture just says "clean and remove the sticker":rolleyesg)

flywheel 005

Also, make sure that whoever supplies the flywheel can also supply bolts with the correct size shank and length.[/quote']

Lightweight flywheels are designed specifically to reduce weight and inertia for better engine response. When installing a sports/performance flywheel there can be a increase in transferred harmonic noises from the engine to the gear box.

The lightest isn't always the best, because noise will increase and this will also effect your low end torque. 13.5 LBS is a good weight for street and strip.

As far as bolts the gripforce flywheel uses stock toyota bolts no modification needed everything is direct fitment.

Nothing adverse about the way the 11 pound one goes, no stalling when the revs come off,and the Vvt's have big torque low.don't notice any loss there.

I had a 6 pound alloy flywheel in a 4.6 powered TR8, that had definately crossed the line into uncivilised, stalled all the time when it got back to first,and on a few downshifts until I got used to it. but was OK when you got it moving up the gears, faster it went the less it was a worry. but first was ugly.

Ridox, don't worry about the transfered harmonic noises, the huge induction "slurp" and the scream of tortured tyres spinning on tarmac will drown that out.:burnout:

I think he means that the Harmonic noises effect the engine internally as far as engine wear goes.

:) If the start of the plan is the lightened flywheel,I don't think this engine is going to be around that long that is going to die of natural causes.