HybridZ

Throttle linkage for my Weber IDA conversion

blueovalz

The Weber set-up I purchase (at a very good price) had no linkage other than a single link that connected the left and right banks of carbs (V8 application). After looking at the TWM part, I decided to fabricate a similar piece with only the materials on hand, a drill press, and a TIG welder.

Original linkage supplied by the merchant. The right bank pushes the rod which operates the left bank:

standard.jpg

Notice that the link actually makes contact with the throttle arm preventing full closure even with rod end extended as far as I dare (white arrow).

standard.jpg

Newly fabricated part to copy the functionality of the TWM piece:

standard.jpg

What initiated this project was the lack of sychronized opening rates for the two banks of carbs plus the very quick initial opening rate. The rotating bellcrank (disc on top) allows a very slow initial opening rate that accerates as the throttle approaches WOT. This weekend (no photo yet), I fabricated a cable operating system that will use the disc (modified slightly) as a pulley with the cable partially wrapped around the circumference.

First I cut out the disc, and drilled and milled the seats for the two 3/4" sealed ball bearings.

standard.jpg

Then tapped it and set it aside.

standard.jpg

Then cut out the base, column, and top plage for the pedestal.

standard.jpg

Then welded it all together (not yet very proficient in aluminum welding), semi finished the parts, and bolted it all together.

standard.jpg

Now, instead of one bank operating the other bank in some bad geometry, a single linkage system operates both independently.

standard.jpg