HybridZ

Interviewing Hybridz members for English! Yay!

KenshinX

Yea, BigPhil Phantom definitely hit it on the nail. But I also needed some other opinions and I'm gald you guys chime'd in Not everyone considers rice as just the civics and other econoboxes with wings. The various opinions is exactly what iw as looking for thanks guys again.

• Administrators

RICER! My short definition, Attention seeking!

My longer definition;

Kids/young adults who modify their cars in such way so as to “get noticed” and “stand out”, we refer to as ricers. "Hey, look at me! Everybody see me? Look at me, I'm special too!..."

An example of this would be when you go to someone’s house that has children, children say between the ages of 4 and 6. You know how most if not all kids at that age just can’t get enough attention from the adults, which is perfectly normal at that age. They will be standing on the couch, saying “Hey, look at me, look at me...” over and over till you finally look their direction, they smile and start jumping up and down on the couch, feeling pretty special now that they have your attention. That is typical and normal behavior of children that age. That same behavior in a young adult, 16+ years old and older, we call a ricer! They are seeking attention, recognition, approval, making an attempt to prove to the world, (more to themselves) that they are indeed someone special.

These overly immature attention seekers will spend enormous amounts of money for parts and enormous amounts of time altering their cars so as to grab our attention based on the insecurities the feel about themselves. The more flamboyant they can make themselves look, (including their cars in this discussion, as the automobile is seen as a status icon in their eyes), the better they “think” they feel about themselves and their position in society. The bigger the wing, the more they stand out in rush hour traffic, to be noticed by all. As been posted already, they will use “excuses” such as “It’s a reflection of my tastes, my personality, and showcases my abilities”! “I’m just showing the world that I’m different and not like everyone else!” Those excuse are easy to hide behind as society today buys that lie and feeds them what they want, not what they truly need. Those insecurities usually stem from parents that didn’t feed that person emotional and loving support during child hood, i.e. the kid was perceived as a bother and a cramp in the parents lifestyle. So as that child matures, he/she is continually seeking recognition, and acceptance in society, albeit the wrong path in acquiring self esteem. Questioning their choices in apparel or car modification usually invites aggressive hostile behavior. Those questions, as seen through their eyes, are rhetorically denying their existence, which they are desperately trying to establish and "showcase" to society, along the path they feel works, (instant gratification!)

HEY! Everyone! Hey!... look at me! Everyone, hey!!! Look at me! …. look at me…

In reality, it’s a shame to see those young adults struggle so.

I digress….

I agree with Braap. In my book a ricer (to be bold) is an ignorant usually young kid that does not know the first thing about cars or engines. Movies such as FNF only multiply this tenfold. I have not viewed any of the FNF movies, and do not intend to. Most people stereotype a ricer as a kid with a Honda, Acura, Toyota, Sentra, etc. There are many cleany done "imports" that actually can perform. I would call these "tuners". We all have seen the "ricers" with the fart can mufflers, the apc, hks, greddy, etc. stickers that add 150 h.p. Then there are the multi-level wings that reduce the aerodynamics by 50%.

An Autozone local to me has a gathering of sorts on Friday niights. A while back some very tasteful cars would show up. Lately though, it has been more rice than a chinese buffet. It is very entertaining though to walk around and converse with the ricers. They don't even have a clue!

"Wow, that air intake kit you got there must be worth 30 or 40 h.p." "no actually, it adds 75 h.p." Give me a break!!

Anyway, I hope my "post" helps with your essay.

Jason K.

Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt.

A person who makes unnecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster.

The most common modifications are (but not limited to):

- Huge exhaust that serves no purpose but to make the car louder

- Large spoiler on the back that looks like something Boeing made for the 747

- Lots of after-market company stickers they don't have parts from, but must be cool

- Expensive rims that usually cost more than the car itself

- Bodykit to make the car appear lower, usually accented with chicken wire

- Clear tail lights and corner signals

- A "performance intake"- a tube that feeds cold air to their engine usually located in areas of excessive heat (behind or on top of the engine)

- Most of these riced cars (a.k.a. rice rockets or rice burners) are imports; Honda Civics, Accords, Integras, CRXs, RSX s, Del Sols, Mitsubishi Eclipses, Lancers, Subaru Imprezas. However there are some domestics such as Chevrolet Cavaliers, Dodge Neons, Ford Focus; small, slow, economy cars designed specifically to go slow.

Please note that some Supras, Skylines, WRX's and other higher performance imports are designed to go fast, and are therefore not always considered rice. It really depends on the severity of the apparel model in these cases.

The "ricer" attempts to make their car "performance" by adding the modifications listed above. These ricers are not confined to any one ethnic group or color, however different ethnic groups are known for certain styles.

Honda Civics with big spoilers and 4" exhaust tips are considered to be ricers.

Rice = Image over substance.

= Cash over craftsmanship

= Attitude over knowledge

I agree with that "tuner" and "ricer" are different animals entirely.

I couldnt agree more. Rice to me is a poorly put together car or truck with ill fitting accessories. Or something that is just completely over the top in terms of poor taste.

oibr7r.jpg

Ricer

What every 16-20 year old who's seen "The Fast and the Furious", or "2 Fast 2 Furious" is likely to drive. Usually running a ridiculous amount of negative wheel camber due to the car being lowered without getting an alignment done, wheels larger than can reasonably fit in the wheelwells (giving lots of tire rub), a 3 foot tall aluminum wing, under car neon tubing, "Type R" decals, a boost gauge (esp in a normally aspirated car), and has the overall appearance of an automobile onto which every advertiser in Super Street has barfed a part.

Required equipment includes a 5 inch exhaust tip on an otherwise stock exhaust system, a 4 million watt stereo system that, from outside the car, seems to do mothing other than vibrate the rear hatch glass, and every aftermarket gauge that the local Pep Boys carries (not necessarily connected to anything).

Not to be confused with a "tuner car", which may be quite a bit faster than anything you've seen away from a racetrack.