HybridZ
heavy85

The Strut thread - Koni / Illumina / Tokico / Carrera / Bilstein / Ground Control

Hey all, first post.

I think I've gotten the Bilstein 34-050224 (3000GT) to work with 280z struts using using a cast aluminum gland nut from a Gabriel shock machined to fit the larger Bilsteins. 

GDsphJS.jpg

5wwgL9P.jpg

TxqTrbN.jpg

U5U1A7P.jpg

I had my friend do the machining. He also had the old Gabriel gland nuts sitting in some old struts. I'll have to order more when I do the fronts.

3cuiu6y.jpg

7hyWmxQ.jpg

With Ground Control coilover kit and DP racing camber plates. If everything goes right the rears should be in tomorrow. It will be a few months before the fronts are in because I go to school in Washington (And that's where I'm doing the machining and sectioning and welding) but my Z stays home in California and I only had time to do the rears before I came home for break.

johnc    724

You should have a wiper seal on that gland but. It's not 100% required because that's the shock body (Bilsteins are an inverted shock) but you can get dirt into the internal seal and slowly wear that out.

The wiper seal gland nut? It's chamfered on the inside and maybe about halfway down the chamfer its ID matches the threaded gland nut's OD so you can just tap it down a little mallet. It's not structural so you don't need to go too crazy. I sectioned them quite a bit but I don't remember the exact measurements. I had a 2.5" spacer underneath the Bilsteins and the gland nut is almost touching the strut when fully tightened. 

ksTOuvj.jpg

gdCPj7h.jpg

Z5qtxgX.jpg

Looking to order some coilovers for my 73 240z. I spoke with Jay at Ground Control, told him this would be a fair weather car with a couple track days per year (Watkins Glen and Toronto Motorsport Park are nearby). I have flares and plan to run 245's in back, perhaps more if they'll fit. At first he said he would recommend softer spring rates and Koni Sports and would e-mail me a spec sheet. I didn't receive anything, called a few times throughout the week and received this after calling again 4 days later. 

It looks like he's suggesting 340f/380r. Do those spring rates seem high? I don't have a cage, though I would like to add a roll bar at some point. Also aren't those spring rates much higher than the Tokicos can handle? After reading it seems they can only tolerate spring rates of 250 or so, no?

18527571_10103983296748338_8907998579672

burninator    10

It looks like he's suggesting 340f/380r. Do those spring rates seem high? I don't have a cage, though I would like to add a roll bar at some point. Also aren't those spring rates much higher than the Tokicos can handle? After reading it seems they can only tolerate spring rates of 250 or so, no?

If you haven't got an answer yet on this... The spring rates might be a bit high, but it depends on your tolerance for ride quality. They are probably too high for Tokico dampers, the Konis he suggested originally could handle them though. I don't know what other people run for a setup like yours, but for comparison, my autocross only race car ran 350's in the front and 300's in the rear with Koni 8610 dampers and it feels stiff on the street. I don't know why some people run stiffer springs in the rear, it never made sense to me, but with your staggered tire setup it might work out.

Chickenman    4

Measured from the very bottom of the strut, where the steering arm bolts on. These are 280Z front struts. 

Strut overall length is 14 5/8" after cutting ( not including gland nut ) .

Spring perch  is 8 1/2" from the very bottom of strut. 

Shocks are KONI Sport 8641-1142 . Toyota MR2 rears