HybridZ
heavy85

The Strut thread - Koni / Illumina / Tokico / Carrera / Bilstein / Ground Control

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, socorob said:

Mine probably compresses more than that. How would the length of the spring change how much it compresses?

If your car weighs less than 3000lbs and you're still using the strut suspension then it's compressing 3" or less.  That's what the 250lb/in means - it compresses 1 inch for every 250 lbs of force applied to it (i.e., weight you put on it in this case).

Changing the length doesn't change the amount it compresses, it changes the amount that it _can_ compress before it binds.

All that said, a quick check of the Eibach ERS spring charts shows that even the 8" spring (the shortest 250lb/in spring they offer) has a bit over 5" of travel, so it shouldn't be binding.  That leaves the possibility of your spring perch being too low (which is kind of a simlar problem to too short a spring), or maybe the strut being cut incorrectly, leaving your desired ride height too close to the bottom of the strut's travel

Edited by TimZ

Socorob: If you lowered the car with springs or Coil overs. Did you shorten the strut tubes? If not you are probably running out of suspension travel and  hitting the bump stops.  Common problem.  Then you have to put Box Car springs in the thing to keep it off the bump stops. Not ideal. 

• Like 1

I got the TTT Front and rears. It was originally 300r 250f. I swapped them around because I felt everywhere was too soft. With 300f the front feels and handles much better. The ride is good. The car weighs 2900. I think TTT may have cut my struts wrong. With no preload and just the springs touching with no slop, the front is several inches higher than the rear with either springs on either end. Since they originally sent 50 pound heavier rears, I was wondering if I should go to 350 in the rear since 300 feels about perfect in my car.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, socorob said:

I got the TTT Front and rears. It was originally 300r 250f. I swapped them around because I felt everywhere was too soft. With 300f the front feels and handles much better. The ride is good. The car weighs 2900. I think TTT may have cut my struts wrong. With no preload and just the springs touching with no slop, the front is several inches higher than the rear with either springs on either end. Since they originally sent 50 pound heavier rears, I was wondering if I should go to 350 in the rear since 300 feels about perfect in my car.

If the ride height is too high in the front then you need to adjust the spring perch down.  Having the springs touching the lower perch isn't a requirement for many of these setups.  It's very common for the spring to be loose at full droop, especially when you start using stiffer springs.

Edited by TimZ

Mine has about 1.5 inches. My ride height has been level for a few years, just don't like the slack in the front and preload in the rear. I think if I go to 300- 350 in the rear it will help with that, plus keep the car a little flatter on tight turns.