HybridZ

The Strut thread - Koni / Illumina / Tokico / Carrera / Bilstein / Ground Control

The wiper seal gland nut? It's chamfered on the inside and maybe about halfway down the chamfer its ID matches the threaded gland nut's OD so you can just tap it down a little mallet. It's not structural so you don't need to go too crazy. I sectioned them quite a bit but I don't remember the exact measurements. I had a 2.5" spacer underneath the Bilsteins and the gland nut is almost touching the strut when fully tightened. 

ksTOuvj.jpg

gdCPj7h.jpg

Z5qtxgX.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Looking to order some coilovers for my 73 240z. I spoke with Jay at Ground Control, told him this would be a fair weather car with a couple track days per year (Watkins Glen and Toronto Motorsport Park are nearby). I have flares and plan to run 245's in back, perhaps more if they'll fit. At first he said he would recommend softer spring rates and Koni Sports and would e-mail me a spec sheet. I didn't receive anything, called a few times throughout the week and received this after calling again 4 days later. 

It looks like he's suggesting 340f/380r. Do those spring rates seem high? I don't have a cage, though I would like to add a roll bar at some point. Also aren't those spring rates much higher than the Tokicos can handle? After reading it seems they can only tolerate spring rates of 250 or so, no?

18527571_10103983296748338_8907998579672

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like he's suggesting 340f/380r. Do those spring rates seem high? I don't have a cage, though I would like to add a roll bar at some point. Also aren't those spring rates much higher than the Tokicos can handle? After reading it seems they can only tolerate spring rates of 250 or so, no?

If you haven't got an answer yet on this... The spring rates might be a bit high, but it depends on your tolerance for ride quality. They are probably too high for Tokico dampers, the Konis he suggested originally could handle them though. I don't know what other people run for a setup like yours, but for comparison, my autocross only race car ran 350's in the front and 300's in the rear with Koni 8610 dampers and it feels stiff on the street. I don't know why some people run stiffer springs in the rear, it never made sense to me, but with your staggered tire setup it might work out.

• 2 months later...

Measured from the very bottom of the strut, where the steering arm bolts on. These are 280Z front struts. 

Strut overall length is 14 5/8" after cutting ( not including gland nut ) .

Spring perch  is 8 1/2" from the very bottom of strut. 

Shocks are KONI Sport 8641-1142 . Toyota MR2 rears

• 7 months later...

I used some spare Tokico gland nuts. There is a thick washer that is welded to the inside of the gland nut. This locates the Top of the shock. The Koni shock is a bit larger diameter at the Top. But 5 minutes on the Lathe and Badda Bing.... Tokico gland nuts that fit Koni's. 

Edited by Chickenman

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2018 at 11:04 PM, Chickenman said:

I used some spare Tokico gland nuts. There is a thick washer that is welded to the inside of the gland nut. This locates the Top of the shock. The Koni shock is a bit larger diameter at the Top. But 5 minutes on the Lathe and Badda Bing.... Tokico gland nuts that fit Koni's. 

Maybe a dumb question, but are you running the same shocks in the rear, and do you have any idea how these shocks compare to the 8610 RACE shocks?  I'd like to switch to Konis and my fronts are sectioned, but my spring rates are too low for the 8610/8611s.

Edited by TimZ

No. I'm not running the same shocks in the rear... at this point. Fronts coil overs are using 1988 MR2 rears Koni sport. 250 lb/in front springs. Rears I like having a bit softer for touring comfort. So rears will be the Eibach Pro springs ( whatever rate they are ) with KYB's in the back. I'll use the front spring isolators on the rear to lower it another 1". Next season I may look at going with Coil Overs with Koni' Sports or Bilsteins in the back. Probably go 225 lb/in at the rear. 

I quite like the combo of Koni's up front and Bilsteins in the rear.  I use that setup on my Audi and it works nicely. The Bilsteins seem to be more compliant than Koni sports, so you don't get a jiggly ride over Freeway expansion joints. I like the front a bit stiffer on Z cars than the rear for the street. Getting old I guess...... 

On 3/15/2018 at 7:00 PM, The Infidel said:

Where are you guys getting the 280z Koni gland nuts? Part number 73.25.00.025.1

First - thanks Chickenman - your input was very helpful.

Second - just ordered four of these from Koni - they had none in stock in the US and had to get them from their warehouse in Holland.  Sounds like I should get them some time in May..

If I was planning on using this car for Track days or even Autocross, I would likely go with Koni's on all four corners.  But for now the KYB's in the rear will suffice. The rear has good grip and compinace for Canyon Carving. I like a suspension that will soak up bumps. A slightly softer suspension is also more forgiving in the rain. We seem to get more than our fair share in the PNW... Sigh. 

I have 250# springs in the rear with konis, and I think they're too soft, with as much preload as I can put on them, they still almost bottom out from the weight of the car, so I end up with very little rear travel. I think 300 would be a good minimum for the rear of a full street Z in my opinion. I have 300 in the front, and they give a decent ride.

4 hours ago, socorob said:

I have 250# springs in the rear with konis, and I think they're too soft, with as much preload as I can put on them, they still almost bottom out from the weight of the car, so I end up with very little rear travel. I think 300 would be a good minimum for the rear of a full street Z in my opinion. I have 300 in the front, and they give a decent ride.

They're likely not too soft - just too short. 

A 250 lb/in spring should compress a bit less than 3" on any corner of a typical Z.  Properly sized lengthwise, such a spring should have no issue whatsoever supporting your z at any ride height that the strut will allow.