HybridZ

Do cars have souls?

datsun40146

I've seen a of number topics that make references to a cars "soul". I accept that a given manufacturer may have an illustrious history and people mat accept that pedigree may be interpreted as soul. But I believe cars can possess that an intangible quality that make it more than the sum of its parts. What do you guys think? Are the cars we drive lifeless hulk if steel and plastic, or are they something indescribable?

I'd say my car definitely has a personality, and something that verge on what one might call a soul. I dont know if that's something I'm projecting onto the car or vice versa.

It just seems like ever time I begin to question it, something weird happens with the car.

Every time I get ahead of myself, or try to do something before the car is truely ready to be driven, I'll have some sort of crazy problem arise that doesnt make any sense to anyone. And then as soon as I think about it more, and realize I need to finish other things (rusty frame issues fo instance) the problem suddenly goes away.

Also, when I start to get frustrated, and think about giving up on the car. Then what ever I may have been working on, something that should really be a pain in the ass to work on or fix for instance, goes waaay too smoothly.

I wish i could explain it better. I've never been so attached to a car, I've sworn that no matter what it takes, I'll get it back on the road again. Right now, rust is the only real thing holding me back.

Just think of all the things we project on these objects we call cars. We develop a whole range of feelings toward them, plead with them when things go wrong, and pamper them when we feel guilty about neglecting them. They probably do have souls, but we're the ones deluding ourselves about their existence. That said, I do talk to my cars to make sure they don't get lonely.

I don't really think it's a "soul" but certian cars do have a very strong personality on the verge of being a soul. Like my car enjoy's cheering me up whenever i'm feeling depressed that in the year I've owned her I've not been able to register and drive her, by doing things like showing a bit more of her emerald hidden under all that ore (like when I realized my wiring harness has never been hacked into, and is still fully held in place by 30 year old duct tape, or little things like that, that make me realize I've got quite a gem)

I think it's because of that personality my car has that makes me not want to make it a perfect looking car. I don't mind if it looks a bit ratty and unrefined/unfinished, I like that about it. of course I'll change things to make it look more pleasing (like the san andreas dash) but I doubt I'll do something like a full paintjob or rebuild.

I think most old cars are like this though. They all have their own personalities and quirks that make us like them more. I don't think many newer car's have that same...what's the word...oh, the same trait as older cars do, but some also have that strong feeling that they have their own personality

Ok time for a transformers Quote "The driver doesn't pic the car, The car chooses the driver."

when i bought my 1978 280z (Stella) it was listed on ebay for $1500, it had most of the interior redone but the exterior was in need of tlc. not only were u buying the car u were buying a spare engine, transmition, rearend, new floorpanels, and boxes of interior stuff. My limit was $2000 so i bid up to that, my mother and me watched as we got out bid.

then with 15 minutes left she says "lets put in the min bid and see how high it is." She put in the bid and the screen flashed "You are the current high bidder!" my mom "Sh!t" I dont know what her problem was i was happy, she couldnt believe it she kept saying "its not going to go for that little, someone will outbid us." we watched that screen until it said "You have won the item."

I do believe that Stella and I were sposed to be together, she choose me and I choose her. I'll admit that when i first saw her with that clearcoat peeling off and the little cancer spots, that she was so beautiful, that I almost cried i was so happy

I do beileve she has a "soul" because when my mom would park Stella behind her 81 280zx (Jack) my mother would put the E brake on and turn off the car, Stella would still roll forward and "bump" Jack. I think she was jelous cause i was Driving Jack alot, do to the fact I couldn't drive her. She wanted him to know that I was hers and not his.

I know all my cars have a personallity, mostly because whenever i come into possesion of a new vehicle I get to drive it for about a week then something breaks. I have come to the conclusion that this is the car testing me, to see if I will put the time and money into them to keep them in running order.

My Grandpas big pickup: Alternater

Grandpas little pickup: Alternater

Buick: Battery

Stella: Fuel Pump, battery, alternater

General (77 280z):Head gasket

my Z is jus a whiny b**** and pms's all the time....

TOTALLY KIDDING! i would say that all of my car's have had personalities....but if i had to say whether car's have "souls" or not the farthest thing towards that belief i can agree with is that when i go to swap out the engine someday, the "soul", and i guess personality, will change along with it...

n1326090100_30191014_8878_thumb.jpg

I do beileve she has a "soul" because when my mom would park Stella behind her 81 280zx (Jack) my mother would put the E brake on and turn off the car, Stella would still roll forward and "bump" Jack. I think she was jelous cause i was Driving Jack alot, do to the fact I couldn't drive her. She wanted him to know that I was hers and not his.

Ever check to see if your ebrake doesnt work...

Funny story, when I brought home my parts car I parked it on the side of the garage outside, while my 78 was inside the garage out of the cold. When I woke up in the morning, I found orange paint all over my 78, a few scratches, and fresh tread marks.

then with 15 minutes left she says "lets put in the min bid and see how high it is." She put in the bid and the screen flashed "You are the current high bidder!" my mom "Sh!t" I dont know what her problem was i was happy, she couldnt believe it she kept saying "its not going to go for that little, someone will outbid us." we watched that screen until it said "You have won the item."

Your the one who outbid me?!?!:cuss:

:-)