HybridZ

Autox and SR powered Z

logr

Thanks for pointing me at that thread, looks like a good solution.

You must be making pretty fast progress if you plan to have it ready for the Winter Heat events, to bad I'm putting my Z away for the season, it would be interesting to see how they compare. My car desperately needs new tires though and I plan to make some other changes while I finish off the body work.

I look forward to seeing it in a few weeks!!!

Wheelman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LSD is in, fuel system is done, engine is in, rad is in, intercooler is mounted, wiring is still to come. I was able to use the stock Z oil sending unit and hope the SR temp sending unit will work. Used stock fuel sender. Hoping to use all the stock guages except tach. We will see if I make it to the winter heat but I'm trying.

• Administrators
The combined weight of the SR, the turbo, the intercooler, and associated plumbing make the SR swap very close to the weight of a NA L6.

I found John to be nearly spot on this weekend. We weighed a stock L24 and also a mildly mod'd SR20DET, including intercooler and plumbing. The L6 is about 30-35lbs heavier, but the SR trans is about 15 lbs heavier.

Post #2 & #12... http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125246

Installed in like trim, total weight should be pretty darn close.

My scales were obviously not very accurate. Weight seems to be a pretty disputable thing though and very dependent on acc. The engine you show has a larger turbo and external waste gate as well as a clutch. The first L24 has no clutch. In that thread it shows another L28 with trans at 539. I personally don't really worry about the weight. I believe the SR, installed, is lighter, better ballanced, more durable, more efficient and more powerful than the L28 it replaced. As far as comparing it to the L28 after being moved 6 inches. Wouldn't you have to cut the firewall to do that? The SR is shorter so it ends up further back when the shifter is in the right spot. It just seems like a nice swap to me. I'm not quite sure why people object to a four banger in this light a car, seems made for it to me.

• Administrators
The engine you show has a larger turbo

Nope. Stock T25.

It just seems like a nice swap to me. I'm not quite sure why people object to a four banger in this light a car, seems made for it to me.

I have nothing against it. In fact, I think it could be a nice swap. I was just trying to provide back-up for the weight.

I guess I have never seen an external wastegate on a stock T25 since they come with an internal one. Anyway thanks for the weight. I will weigh my car when done and I have the before weight but it is also not definitive, afterall, the scales vary too.

Down to wiring, exhaust and throttle cable. By angling the radiator, I was able to use a Z top hose and an SR lower. The bottom of the radiator is just behind the sway bar with enough room to enlarge the bar. I will make a plate for the top of the intercooler to seal the air going to the radiator. Doing things this way ended up with 2 straight pipes for the intercooler. The other one could have been a straight piece, a 45 silicone and a 45 metal. Iam somewhat hesitant about the air cleaner being in front though. It seems that rain could be a problem. Any ideas? I am thinking of making a front cover for it to keep the rain from hitting it full force.

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

She runs!!!!! That is always a good feeling. You need 3 relays to make them run and I was going to use bosch type but I figured out something else, SX to the rescue again.

The SX fuse box is modular. I took one apart and used one half. I moved a 3 fuse box into it as well as 3 relays. I then had a neat little package that can be mounted anywhere and it uses Nissan fuses and relays. The fuses are on the left, kind of hard to see.

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

The throttle was very easy. KADE throttle cable bolted in the firewall and cut the end off the SX pedal top and weld on the Z.

• 4 weeks later...

The front lightened up 30 lbs with the swap, according to the same log truck scales that I weighed it on before. Total 2280# Not saying it's totally accurate but it does seem to say that there isn't much difference from the original. Seems to me you don't have to move the L6 to compare to an SR swap but I love the power, efficiency and ease of the SR. I'm happy with the swap but there isn't near the difference in weight that I had hoped for. Mine is still 120# heavy on the front, empty. With me in it, it changes to 20# heavy on the front. I plan on moving the battery to give me the 40 or so heavy on the back and drive it.