HybridZ

'73 240Z Canvas sunroof?

Guest Omgz

Hi guys I'm a new member and I'm looking at buying a 1973 240Z. It does seem to have a bit of rust and the right rockers a bit busted up, but other than that it doesn't seem all too bad to me. It has a canvas sunroof on it which I've searched for and can't seem to find anything about? Is this aftermarket? Was wondering if anyone had any experiences with things like this good or bad? Thanks.

Wow.... never seen one! Please fire a few pics our way!:eek2:

Hi guys I'm a new member and I'm looking at buying a 1973 240Z. It does seem to have a bit of rust and the right rockers a bit busted up, but other than that it doesn't seem all too bad to me. It has a canvas sunroof on it which I've searched for and can't seem to find anything about? Is this aftermarket? Was wondering if anyone had any experiences with things like this good or bad? Thanks.

sorry I didn't take any pictures, here are a few from the seller and you can kind of see it.

010105011503010312200809083870c78bc.jpg011502011607010301200809083a0994f64.jpg

really not sure what to think about it, not really sure that I want one especially not knowing much about them?

its hard to see!

I personaly wouldnt own a Z with any kind of sunroof. But if the car is in great shape you can always pick it up and reskin the roof. THere is a a great thread on that topic...do a search......that includes good pics.

hey thanks just looked at it, didn't know if it could be done. and I don't think you want to send a roof to Alaska from the east coast jasper :P It does have quite a bit of "custom" work on it. I'd like to change quite a few things to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

well, long story short I really wanted a Z and ended up picking it up for $300. looks to be rusty in the usually Z areas from what I've seen, and this stupid roof needs to be reskinned. just working on selling parts off the engine and sourcing parts I'm missing this winter, will start really working on it next summer.

CIMG3715.jpg

and there's a pic of the canvas pos someone thought was a good idea.

oh and here's a beauty shot of my new lawn ornament.

CIMG3712.jpg

anyone have any experience with replacing the door/trunk locks? Previous owner pulled them all, shaved the right side door handle too :evil:

well, long story short I really wanted a Z and ended up picking it up for $300. looks to be rusty in the usually Z areas from what I've seen, and this stupid roof needs to be reskinned. just working on selling parts off the engine and sourcing parts I'm missing this winter, will start really working on it next summer.

CIMG3715.jpg

My z has the same sunroof mine is in very good condition its a 77 280z my uncle was the second owner and he got the car in 79 and it was already on it so by my thinking its a dealer installed option

i like my sunroof, my car isnt a dark color its a light blue and soon to be a darker color but it is only insured and driven in the summer months and it is rather hot where i live(in summer is normally around 33-36 celcius about mid 90s in f) and being really hot its nice to have the sunroof as it keeps the car cool since i dont have ac and when it is open it does not look that bad either.

i have washed the car and mine is very weather tight i sprayed water at the underside of the seams and no water came in as for driving it in the rain i have not experienced that yet as it does not rain much here.

i dont feel a draft or anything so pretty tight there too.

i myself am going to keep mine but if it was in bad condition i would see if a shop can fix it and see if i could find parts for it or make my own, i myself like the lines of the early datsun z car the way the roof shape rolls into the hatch and perfectly to the rear of the car and how many early z cars have a sunroof?

CIMG3715.jpg

Your picture of the sunroof looks exactly how my sunroof looked on my 76 TR-7 that had a factory installed sunroof. Here's an example of that sunroof. BTW it never leaked. You would pull it back and it would fold on top of it's self in sections. It had a handle in the front to lock it in place.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/rimmer/tr7/sunroof#Sunroof%20(Weathershield)

LARRY

Yep, there was an array of dealer equipped options and aftermarket manufacturers that supplied good quality parts for the Z back when it was new. I have seen them as well.

In addition, if anybody ever gets a chance to sit in or closely inspect Mr. K's personal 260Z, check out the sunroof in THAT! More like a modern BMW unit than anything from the aftermarket---I guess when you're running the ocmpany, you have some 'discretionary R&D Money for modifications that exceeds the normal buyer.

ANd if you like the sunroof, the one in Mr. K's car is wicked OEM_Like Quality. Flush outer opening, with retraction UNDER the roof. Much like the 69 VW Beetle I had when learning to drive... Very Nice.