HybridZ

Fidanza aluminum flywheel problems.. not for 240mm.

proxlamus©

I sent this to Fidanza via e-mail not long ago

Hello,

I recently purchased a Fidanza aluminum flywheel for my 1983

Datsun/Nissan 280zx turbo. (I have a 1978 Datsun 280z with a '83 turbo motor) Part number 143281.

Attached are 7 pictures comparing the stock 1970-1983 non-turbo 225mm

friction surface flywheel and the stock 1981-1983 280zx turbo flywheel

(also found in 2+2 cars which have a back seat) which has a 240mm

friction surface on the flywheel.

fidanza_flywheel003.jpg

Picture titled "fidanza flywheel003.jpg" shows all 3 flywheels side by

side. The Fidanza on the far left, the 240mm flywheel in the middle and

the 225mm on the far right.

fidanza_flywheel002.jpg

Picture "fidanza flywheel002.jpg" shows the 240mm flywheel on the left

and the 225mm on the right. Notice how the 240mm flywheel has 9 total

bolt holes, while the 225mm only has 6 total?

fidanza_flywheel004.jpg

Picture "fidanza flywheel004.jpg" shows the 225mm pressure plate on

the Fidanza aluminum flywheel. All 6 bolt holes line up properly.

fidanza_flywheel005.jpg

Picture "fidanza flywheel005.jpg" shows the 240mm pressure plate bolted

to the factory 240mm flywheel. All 9 bolts line up even though the

pressure plate is aftermarket. (ACT (advanced clutch technologies))

fidanza_flywheel006.jpg

fidanza_flywheel007.jpg

Picture "fidanza flywheel006.jpg" and "fidanza flywheel007.jpg" show

the 240mm ACT pressure plate on top of the Fidanza aluminum flywheel.

The outer bolt holes line up.. all except the middle bolt holes. From

what I can tell... the bolt holes are drilled properly for the 225mm

pressure plate (6 total bolts) while the 240mm has 6 of the 9 bolt

holes drilled properly. The center bolt holes are offset improperly.

fidanza_flywheel001.jpg

Picture "fidanza flywheel001.jpg" shows the ACT 240mm pressure plate

slightly over extending over the surface of the Fidanza aluminum

flywheel about ~ 1/8"

Overall I can determine that the Fidanza flywheel is drilled properly

for any Datsun 240z/260z/280z/280zx non-turbo and non 2+2 application

for the 225mm clutch and pressure plate. However; the flywheel has 3

bolt holes that are off for any Datsun 280zx turbo and 2+2 application.

6 of the 9 bolt holes line up properly which follows the 225mm bolt pattern.

Yah for the act clutch not all the holes line up. Thats how mine was also. There are 3 dowels that go in also btw.

The dowels set the alignment of the pressure plate on the flywheel. The pressure plate can only be attached one way, once the dowels are lined up correctly. The spacing between the dowel hole and the nearest bolt holes varies, which is how they set the alignment.

I've been running the pressure plate using just the 6 bolts without issue, and I am putting down a fair amount of torque.

I know about the dowels.. I chose not to install them until the holes all lined up properly.

Bo you have been running with 6 bolts installed and not all 9?? Do you have the 240mm or the 225mm clutch/pp?

ahh! when I spend as much money as I have on the flywheel and pressure plate/clutch I expect everything to be top notch!! I don't want to go "half assed"

I spoke with Fidanza this morning..

"Generally" most cars typically use a 6 bolt pattern versus 9. They said don't worry about it

ACT says it should work fine, they do NOT test certain pressure plates with 6 out of 9 bolts but it should work.

One bolt every 60 degrees on the face should be enough.

If I want to think outside of the box.. I could buy a 225mm clutch/pressure plate combo that will handle lets say 500 ft lb .. that only uses 6 bolts.

Now I bought a 240mm clutch/pressure plate that will handle lets say 500 ft lb... I could use 6 bolts. It would be nice to use 3 more for extra security..

Fidanza and ACT said it should be fine. I'm not running gobs of power.. so I am over thinking this too much.

I dyno'ed 390 ft-lbs to the wheels in July with tuning issues. Based on my comparison of accelerometer readings since that time, I am making a bit more power (maybe 410ish ft-lbs at the wheels). This is all through 6 bolts on the pressure plate.

most all z car pressure plates line up with only 6 of the 9 holes on the fidanza unit because from what I've read on NICO (i think), those holes are for another application.

I can't remember if it was a non-nissan application or what, but the part numbers where the same, yet the car was not.

And just to add to this, my SECO stage 2 pressure plate only lines up with 6 of my Fidanza flywheel holes as well.

• 1 year later...

Bringing this back up. Very irritated right now because I ma trying to install my ACT NX2-HDG6 clutch/pressure plate for a 1983 280zx turbo and the dowel pins that the flywheel came with preinstalled do not work. It seems as though since the pressure plate diameter is bigger the holes for the dowel pins are too far out. Help! Can I remove the dowel pins and run without them? It just is not working with them in, I've sat and tryed everything for the past two hours!

Bringing this back up. Very irritated right now because I ma trying to install my ACT NX2-HDG6 clutch/pressure plate for a 1983 280zx turbo and the dowel pins that the flywheel came with preinstalled do not work. It seems as though since the pressure plate diameter is bigger the holes for the dowel pins are too far out. Help! Can I remove the dowel pins and run without them? It just is not working with them in, I've sat and tryed everything for the past two hours!

I would NOT recommend running the clutch without pins. The pins are there for a reason and it's not just for alignment. They transfer the torque from the engine in shear thru the joint between the pressure plate and fly wheel. I believe they are tighter fitting than the bolts so that they take significant amount of the shear load.

My Fidanza flywheel only has 6 holes that line up with my ACT pressure plate...and 3 shear pins.

Edited by rossman

• 11 months later...

Hate to bring this back, i bought a exedy oem clutch kit for i am guessing a 2+2? here are the specs: Disc mm: 240; Disc In: 9-1/2; Splines Dia: 1; Splines: 24, can i make the 225mm flywheel work with this kit? or do i need a 240mm flywheel? my other problem is that i am trying to buy a new flywheel from rockauto, they have the sachs and rhinopac flywheels listed under 280z 2+2 but have no size or info for them. anyone had this issue before?

Hate to bring this back, i bought a exedy oem clutch kit for i am guessing a 2+2? here are the specs: Disc mm: 240; Disc In: 9-1/2; Splines Dia: 1; Splines: 24, can i make the 225mm flywheel work with this kit? or do i need a 240mm flywheel? my other problem is that i am trying to buy a new flywheel from rockauto, they have the sachs and rhinopac flywheels listed under 280z 2+2 but have no size or info for them. anyone had this issue before?

You will need a 240mm flywheel with the 240mm clutch, The best thing to do to make sure about the size of the flywheel from rockauto, etc. would be to call them and make sure, Yeah it might suck and take a while to call them but it is worth making sure you get the right flywheel.