HybridZ

240z 5 speed conversion

I thought I had read somewhere that I wanted a t5 from 82 or 83 turbo zx. I didn't know there were 2 different kinds. Sigh. I may just not do this swap anymore then. Also thought I read there was just a small modification I needed to do to make it work with my Z. Hmmm

Alright, it's confusing on the t5 topic cause it's all scattered and a places say different things, and the guy who had a post with auto to 4 speed just said to use a 5 speed instead and there was very little mentioned in that post about the t5

The ZX's came with two different 5 speeds.  But they also came with different parts to use them in the ZX.  If you want a simple 5 speed swap for a 240Z, the 71B 5 speed from any 1977 - 1983 Z or ZX will swap easily and fairly directly.  The gear ratios are different though, between early (77-80) and late (80-83) so that should be considered relative to diff ratio.

Here are a couple more pages with good tranny info. 

If your 260 is an automatic it should have 3.54 gears in the diff. Most 5 speed cars run 3.90.

To get the most out of your trans swap you might want to mate it to a different rear ratio diff too.

http://www.gracieland.org/cars/techtalk/gearing2.html

http://newprotest.org/projects/510/gearRatios.pl

If you have the 3.36 ratio R180 in your 240Z you'll want a low 1st gear.  You should determine your rear diff ratio, or plan to swap a diff in, to get the full benefits.  The wrong combination can be difficult to live with.  The 240Z 4 speeds have a very low 1st gear.  That might be why the turbo FS5R90A 5 speed was recommended.  It has a low 1st gear also.

Put a list of ratios together, and parts needed to do the swap.  The turbo 5 speed will take more parts and effort, but if you have a 3.36 might be the way to go.

Nw240z are you talking to me? Mine is a 6/73 240z. 

Sorry I am up very early for work on the weekdays. 240's and 260's are similar though. 

Like Zed Head mentioned the rear end (diff) complements the transmission. To get the most from a 5 speed it is a wise choice to match a diff for the driving you want to do. 

Stock 4 speeds came with  3.36 

Stock Automatics came with 3.54

280 and 280ZX 5 speeds had 3.90 

there are truck diffs in 4.11 and 4.32 

Maxima had a 3.70 but needs some mods to make it bolt up. 

All can make the power band in different RPM's so it really depends on what you intend to do with the car. 

I have a 3.54 with my 4 speed and like it for the most part but it still rev's high on the highway. 

The PO had 4.11 in it for autocross and that was terrible on the highway. 1st gear was pretty much useless. 

My plan is for an 83 280ZX 5 speed and an 84 Maxima 3.70 R180 diff, I am staying with the L24 too.

If I were going for an engine swap I would go another route. 

I hope the info helps you out. It is not a hard swap just figuring out the gearing for the driving you intend to do makes it a challenge to then find those parts at a decent price. 

To make it simple.

All naturally aspirated Z's from 1970-1983 have a transmission that will easily swap into your Z with minimal effort. These range from 4 speed (240/260z) to the 5 spd in 280z/ZX.

The "quick ratio" transmissions that you read about are I believe from 1980-83.

NOW, the T5 transmission is completely different. This comes from 1982/83 ZX Turbos. To use this transmission if my memory serves correct you will require the T5 driveshaft as well. This will have to be shortened to fit into As earlier Z.

I was going to make this a daily for a while before I do a more serious swap. Not sure on that yet as I was thinking of just doing a ls swap or going 1j or 2j down the road. I was planning on staying with the diff it came with till then.

• 2 years later...

Bumping an old thread.

Early (mid-'71 and older) 240s had a slightly longer 4-speed. After that, the shifter was mounted a little bit farther forward. I know this because my early car has a later 4-speed, and nit's causing problems with the center console.

Does the 5 speed's shifter line up with the early shifter location, or the later one?

Is there any difference in the length of the driveshaft or shape of the trans x-member?

Thanks!