HybridZ

tokico hp vs illuminas

Hi

I have a 77 280z with a vo7 stroker and running 18s adr for wheels, and have made the whole rear trunk a sub incloser . so you can imagine I have a bunch of extra weight in the car. I am replacing my suspension this next week. I was curiouse on what setup to go with.

I have heard from a lot of z owners that there a lot of problems with the illuminas. but have not heard anything on the HP. Can some one help me with what springs to go with and what struts. Thanks

What are your intended uses for the car?

If it's just street driving and you want to lower the car a little you should check out the Tokico lowering springs and shock package. You can get the setup with either the HPs or the Illuminas.

This was the first setup I went with, the springs lowered my car about 2" in the front and 1 1/2" in the rear if I remember correctly. The ride wasn't real harsh and the car handled pretty good.

I ended up replacing the springs with coilovers to gain more adjustability and because the Tokico front springs are progressive and would bottom out in my car.

If you plan on racing you should think real hard about either getting rid the the sub enclosure or making it easily removable, you won't want the extra weight.

Wheelman

There is a long thread where several of us who purchased those springs reported coil bind on the fronts. The coil bind is because the fronts are progressive, the top 4 coils are bound at ride height by design. I think part of my problem was due to the weight of the LT1, but a turbo L28 will probably have the same problem.

I think the package could be a viable option depending on what the goals are for the car. If it's a street car where the owner is willing to accept a few compromises for a certain look they are a good option. If you're building a race car then look elsewhere.

Based on the OP stating his whole trunk area is a sub enclosure I assumed (maybe incorrectly) the car is a street car not a race car.

I have been happy with the Tokico HP shocks.

Wheelman

I've run the HPs and Illuminas, and the Illuminas feel much harsher, even on "1", than the HPs ever did. I called Tokico and they claim the HPs should feel like Illuminas set on 2.5 (if that was possible.) That has not been my experience (or any of the many other Z guys I know locally who are running them.)

It's probably a lot worse for people living around here, because our roads are so ridiculously bad. But my car handled great with the HPs, and it felt much more comfortable, so I'm taking the Illuminas out.

I ran the Illuminas on my car with 200/250 spring rates and never once had a passenger complain about the ride. Drove at 1 or 2 on the street turned it up for autox and track days. It was very comfortable on the street.

Things like ride quality are subjective.

We don't have streets over here, so much as piles of rubble with traffic lights every so often.

Overall it's subjective, but the relative ride quality between HPs and Illuminas is very obvious to everyone I know who has run both....here. I'm sure in CA it's not such a big deal.

Illuminas with stock springs can actually be a harsh ride. They work better with stiffer springs (at least 25% stiffer then stock). What happens is the shaft speeds get way up there on minor bumps which gets into the progressive compression damping that the Illuminas have.

I'm humongous, corpulent, fat, call it what you will. With a similarly porportioned friend in the car the Tokiko Illuminas give a nice controlled ride, while the HP's felt like worn out stockers to me.

If you have weight in the car, the damping reacts differently than something light. Like John C said, it's the combination that can make things feel rougher than they really are.

My experience has been comparable with John Mortensen's, except that one day I forgot to put the things back onto "1" for the highway drive from a car event....and it was almost 6 months before I realized it. Highway driving and maybe 'getting used to the control' made me drive around on 5 since.

I live down a washboard road. Not everyplace in CA is like you see in the commercials. In fact, the roads downright suck in most places as the state is...no. No, I won't go there.

"The roads aren't as smooth out here as you are led to believe!"

I'm humongous, corpulent, fat, call it what you will. With a similarly porportioned friend in the car the Tokiko Illuminas give a nice controlled ride, while the HP's felt like worn out stockers to me.

If you have weight in the car, the damping reacts differently than something light. Like John C said, it's the combination that can make things feel rougher than they really are.

My experience has been comparable with John Mortensen's, except that one day I forgot to put the things back onto "1" for the highway drive from a car event....and it was almost 6 months before I realized it. Highway driving and maybe 'getting used to the control' made me drive around on 5 since.

I live down a washboard road. Not everyplace in CA is like you see in the commercials. In fact, the roads downright suck in most places as the state is...no. No, I won't go there.

"The roads aren't as smooth out here as you are led to believe!"

So whats the general thought about this spring/shock combo?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-74-75-78-76-260Z-280Z-Tokico-ILK-Suspension-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ230291492526

Seems like a good deal to me, keep in mind I have a limited amount of experience in this subject.

Seems like a good deal to me, keep in mind I have a limited amount of experience in this subject.

Its a pretty good deal. I sell the kit for $527 which basically matches the eBay sellers price (including shipping). The kit weighs in close to 50 lbs. so actual shipping costs can be close to $50 if its shipped cross country. My price does not include shipping, but then again you get to ask me questions if you have problems installing it... :-)