Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

DIY 180 Degree/Single plane/Flat plane V-8 crankshaft…

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#341 Bob Gruen

Bob Gruen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

Great thread! I have not read through all of it but I thought I'd add a few things (I hope it is all new material)

1) FARNDON CRANKSHAFTS makes flat plane crankshafts. I found them on an ebay listing from rv8engine-parts-shop:

THIS LISTING IS FOR A -( TO FIT A Rover V8 ENGINE ) ,
---STEEL BILLET , FLAT PLANE crankshaft. special .---
BY FARNDON CRANKSHAFTS
spec-
balanced
New small journal MAINS - 2.300"
( REQUIRES small MAIN BLOCK TO FIT )
- 2.000" BIG END AS STD 3.9 & 4.2 SMALL BIG END
-STD rover WIDTH 3.5 ,3.9,4.2 RODS WILL FIT
- 1.586" STROKE
- STD nose
- RACE PREPPED DE BURRED
- LIGHTWEIGHT
- RADIUSES COUNTER WEIGHTS
- waxed up for protection.
this crank is brand new .

As far as a commercial enterprise, I think a small flat plane Rover V8 might be a viable product IF you could get it to fit into the Ferrari 3x8 platform. The 3x8 cars are a bit underpowered by todays standards and actually pretty affordable to the type of people that would re-engine them. A Rover V-8 or a flat plane SBF would be perfect for the Cal Spyder 2.

2) Exhaust tube length. Tubes have resonate frequencies, the longer the tube the longer the 1st order wavelength and therefor the lower the 1st order frequency. Mid engine cars have a tendancy to be raspy because the exhaust tubes between the source, sound modifiers, and tip are all much shorter than they are on a front engined car. A proper 180 degree headers system has to have equal length primary tubes, so they all have to be as long as the longest crossover primary dictates. Then you hit the catalytic converter, then another tube: the main exhaust pipe, then a muffler, then the most impactful tube, the tail pipe. In a mid engine car the tail pipe is measured in inches, on a front engined car it's usually (but not always) measures in feet. If you really want the raspy sound on a front engined car you might have to run two custom mufflers, one resonator near the engine that is tuned to kill the 1st - 3rd resonate freqs of the exhaust pipe, and another right at the tip to shape the final pitch you want out of it.

The 1960s vintage of the Ferrari GTs (like the 250) had several mufflers under the car. I'm not totally sure of the reasoning, but one result was that it broke up what would have been one long exhaust pipe into multiple shorter sections. (do a google image search for "Ferrari 250GT exhaust system") Tail pipes were long though...

3) Tip (outlet) position. If you want the LRLRLRLR sonic experience of a Ferrari you have to keep some distance between the exhaust tips. The GT40 and Pantera, examples of the "Bundle of Snakes" exhaust system and the Corvette 180 degree system have the two outlets right next to each other, where the negative soundwave from one tip has distructive interference with the positive of the other. Those cars would sound dramatically different if the tips were plumbed away from each other to give a few feet of seperation.

4) On an entirely new approach, you could also get the LRLRLR experience out of an inline 6... Just sayin'...

Bob

#342 godzilla_753

godzilla_753

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

Hi everyone, 
Ive been following this thread for the past year or so. I recently came across someone who is willing to mass produce crankshafts at a reasonable price. He would also be grinding customs camshafts for the new firing order. The only thing is he needs detailed drawings of the crank to be able to send to his manufacturer. He wants to market these for the SBC crowd initially, but is also willing to work with other engines down the line. 

Im personally not experienced with this level of fabrication at all, but I would love to help in any way I could so I figured I would give it a shot. Does anyone have drawings/specifications of a flat crank for an SBC that he could use as a starting point? Or if anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks!! 

Edited by godzilla_753, 05 May 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#343 bapcha

bapcha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAptos, CA

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:45 PM

So, this thread started in 2008, and it is 2015 now - has anyone made their own flat-plane v8 using a chevy or ford block (yet?). Curious.....

Bapcha

#344 TimZ

TimZ

OG Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2319 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:13 AM

So, this thread started in 2008, and it is 2015 now - has anyone made their own flat-plane v8 using a chevy or ford block (yet?). Curious.....

Bapcha

Yep - Ford did in the new Mustang GT350.  I've been seeing quite a few of them at the Dearborn Test Track and they sound pretty friggin' awesome.

http://articles.sae.org/13709/

It looks like there may be a VooDoo crate motor, but I'll bet it will be pricey.

Posted Image

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
-FZ, Joe's Garage

#345 jpndave

jpndave

Always Here

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHyde Park, UT

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:24 AM

Yep - Ford did in the new Mustang GT350.  I've been seeing quite a few of them at the Dearborn Test Track and they sound pretty friggin' awesome.

http://articles.sae.org/13709/

It looks like there may be a VooDoo crate motor, but I'll bet it will be pricey.

Already planning one. I will start with a Coyote and then change to the Voodoo as soon as I can get my hands on one. Have the Ford Tremec Magnum and Bell for these (Modular pattern) engines. Coyote will be a tight fit between the towers, 1" on each side to spare. We'll see what other issues occur. I'm sure it will need a low profile oil pan amoung other things, probably front mount accessories. It should almost be a front mid-engine configuration. I hope it can be made to sound more european as I think they have Americanized it to keep traditional Mustang appeal, we'll see.

Edited by jpndave, 10 August 2015 - 07:27 AM.

-73 240Z owned for 30yrs(my high school car). Dragged the old girl out from storage for a full makeover, Voodoo engine/T56 Magnum transmission/"Super 8.8", A-arm Suspension, Brakes, etc. http://forums.hybrid...-touring-build/

-2007 Jeep JK Unlimited "Bumblebee", LS3 (6.8L stroked, ported, VVT cammed)/6L80E/242AMG http://www.rme4x4.co...3-quot-GM-build

#346 Gollum

Gollum

Tree Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2922 posts
  • LocationVacaville, CA

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:29 PM

Considering yellowoctopus is already running the older DOHC motor, the newer coyote head variants should be a walk in the park.

Personally, I can't wait to hear a GT350 with real equal length headers, as I feel much of the sound clips I've heard are a bit tainted by the OEM headers. There's a lot of rumbly for being a flat plane, and I think they were actually shooting for that.

'75 280Z, L28ET, Street going rat rod

http://forums.hybrid...ms-dd-l28et-75/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users