HybridZ

My S14 V-8 swap. Ongoing and ongoing. Man I miss my simple Z. (Lol)

twoeightythreez

Here's my current nissan project. It will have to do, until I can eventually somehow get a Cedric 4 door hardtop (preferably the pre 74 chevelle-ish ones but the 74+ mini LTD ones are cool too..they're only mini compared to an LTD, they're the size of a modern maxima..but RWD...he he) over here. (Hopefully a LHD cedric..such as the ones in Norway or something. I like LHD, can't help it....and I'm a sucker for the old big datsuns that we didn't get here.) Until I started looking in other countries I never realized that nissan had almost as much a love affair with the hardtop as america did, almost every model had one available, but most of thier models weren't available here.

IT's a 1996 240sx SE, S14. It's going to get a 1997 Kouki front end, but as you'll see, that's gotta wait until I get the powerplant figured out.

Here goes.....(and the more observant of you will undoubtably notice the car hasn't been inspected since 2004! Wish me luck!)

-September 15th to October 5th, 2008-

MYDC0805.jpg

The 240 awaiting it's new heart

MYDC0806.jpg

MYDC0807.jpg

The engine I'm putting in...a 1997 Vh41. I'm gonna have my friend fab up a custom intake manifold with Individual Throttle Bodies from Two Suzuki GSX-R 750's. (I no longer have the 720 that the engine is in the back of...I was forced to sell it due to being laid off from my job....sob....)

MYDC0808.jpg

MYDC0809.jpg

That's a 300zx (Z32) transmission, with a custom adaptor plate to allow fitment to the VH eight cylinder engine.

MYDC0810.jpg

Attached to the engine is an XTD (generic exedy) twin friction clutch.

MYDC0811-1.jpg

MYDC0814-1.jpg

Another photo of the Z32 5-speed, showing the modified bellhousing. (it was machined to allow the input shaft to be in the same place.) Yes, the Z32 pilot bearing works in the VH engine (with slight modification)

MYDC0831-3.jpg

The engine on the way in for mock-up.

MYDC0832-3.jpg

MYDC0833-3.jpg

MYDC0834-3.jpg

MYDC0835-3.jpg

MYDC0836-1.jpg

MYDC0837-1.jpg

MYDC0838.jpg

MYDC0839.jpg

Yes, the sway bar clears. Barely. I didn't have to cut anything, but I had to "adjust" the firewall (the precision tool used is known as a 10lb sledgehammer) to clear the exhaust manifolds.

MYDC0840.jpg

The shifter is definitely going to have to be modified!

MYDC0841.jpg

MYDC0842.jpg

MYDC0843.jpg

Yes, officer, I'm aware that the hood won't close....lol (I'm going to have to run a cowl hood but it'll look OK) The stock unmodified xmember with the engine in that position has 3/8" clearance (about 9mm) and the steering rack does clear. The VH is one tall engine. I could get it to fit under the stock hood, but don't want to bash my oil pan if I happen to run over a walnut. My buddy erik is making the mounts I built from pine out of steel now. Only the wise one above will know when he gets time to do so.

MYDC0844.jpg

more fitment pics

MYDC0845.jpg

MYDC0846.jpg

MYDC0847.jpg

I was able to make new pedestal mounts for the engine block, my friend is welding them up when he gets a chance. This way this engine will fit without any crossmember mods. The power steering pump will actually fit!

Ok, on to more things....I always hated the way the front mounted fusebox looked, so....

MYDC0800.jpg

Time to relocate it to the rear. Since the S14 fusebox is on the right side and the loom comes out from the left, it will reach to the back, just have to lengthen the headlight, turn signal, parking light, and horn wires. Time to get to work!

MYDC0802.jpg

Loom covering off, exposing the wires.....

MYDC0803.jpg

MYDC0812-1.jpg

Now, after I lenthened them, and chopped off the headlight wires.....

MYDC0815-2.jpg

I can run the wiring into the car.....and drill the two 1-1/2" holes in the upper frame rail (so I can hide the wires in there and allow me to drop the car without worrying about rubbing through wires) I also repinned one of the lower harness connections, and denuded them, so I now need only 2 lower harness connectors (starter/oil pressure, and speedo/alternator/reverse lights) The car is going to be megasquirted so I don't have to worry about all the nissan bull (such as the power steering RPM advance switch, or the inhibitor switch, especially since I'm going from automatic to manual trans) and the 200lb of wiring that entails.

MYDC0813-1.jpg

Ready to run through the frame rail.....

MYDC0817-2.jpg

This is where my lower harness will now connect.

My plan is to hide as much underhood wiring as possible. (so all you see is an engine)

MYDC0818-2.jpg

Wiring run through the frame rail

MYDC0819-2.jpg

MYDC0822-2.jpg

Now into the rad support....

MYDC0821-2.jpg

Left side wires for the headlights/sidemarker/clearance/turn coming out behind the headlight

MYDC0820-2.jpg

Wires for horns and right side lights coming out on top of frame horn.....not done yet but getting there!

-October 6, 2008- Did a bit more to it today.....slowly cleaning the wiring up.

vh41silvia.jpg

vh41silvia2.jpg

vh41silvia3.jpg

It's a pain but will be worth it. It takes awhile to take apart other harnesses I have laying around to get the wire and loom but it's starting to look cleaner already, and I still have so, so much to do.

more to come!

• 2 months later...

Engine Xmember done. Uses 1968-1972 buick 350 into GM A body mounts.anotherbuick350piconvh41.jpg

enginexmemberleftrear.jpg

enginexmemberrightrear.jpg

enginexmemberleftfront.jpg

enginexmemberleftrearfarshot.jpg

enginexmemberrightfront.jpg

enginexmemberrightside.jpg

vh41newyear.jpg

vh41rightsidenewyear.jpg

Remember I said my friend was gonna weld them up? Well, he never did and I was forced to buy a welder and make it myself. I don't think it's too bad for my first crossmember. It's made up of 2" square tubing, plated with 1/8" mild steel. The crossmember weighs twice what it did stock. I think it should be strong enough, even though I can't prove it till it runs becase I'm no engineer.

Here's some pics of it in the car.

paintedenginebayleft.jpg

paintedenginebayright.jpg

xmemberincarrightsidetop1.jpg

xmemberincarrightsidetop2.jpg

xmemberincarrightsidetop3.jpg

xmemberincarrightsidetop4.jpg

xmemberincarrightsidetop5.jpg

xmemberincarrightsidetop.jpgPics of it mounted in the engine bay coming soon. I made spacers and also lowered the center of the xmember, so the engine now will only SLIGHTLY hit the hood...:-)

Here's a video I made