HybridZ

DC Water Jet's 202mph Z-Car

I understand bonneville is the big event but has anybody contemplated or attempted doing this on concrete or asphalt such as a runway.

I'm sure there is a sweet spot where the traction advantage would allow certain class cars to go faster in a standing mile and some tracks can offer 1.5 miles of running room with at least .5 mile cooldown.

We might be able to finalize our exclusive access to host events at the everglades jetport in miami and could very well spawn a timing association in which we simply use a "template" by using a lot of the "definitions" as defined by various timing associations and adapting them for running on the runway.

Some classes would probably never run faster on a 1.5 mile runway than they would on salt but I'll bet a few just might go faster.

Have you guys done the math for your salt cars to see whether it would be worth it to try a runway run?

It was more of a question as to whether you thought your car could reach a higher top speed in 1.5 miles on concrete or ashpalt rather than salt.

I'm sure come cars can but was interested in whether your large amount of experience with your well developed ride has indicated that it is possible?

Bonneville is a long course, miles in fact. That is why there are higher speeds. If you want comparisons on traction Maxton & ElMirage would be a good Comparo Maxton is a Mile, concrete...El Mirage is 1.3 miles Dry Lake Bed. Burton Brown runs Maxton, and Andy Flagg's #220 runs El Mirage, the speeds should tell the tale if the Maxton Records are reflective of the traction difference.

As mentioned, now competitors can also run on Mojave which is asphalt. OEM's use closed Wurtsmith AFB Michigan for closed-course high speed testing as well. Old SAC B52 Base home to regional SCCA Stuff in the summer on the old ops apron. I think the course in Maine is similarly situated, old Northern Tier SAC Runway.

Edited by Tony D

• 2 weeks later...

We're going to inspect the above mentioned everglades jetport soon for LSR feasibility.

https://maps.google.com/maps?expflags=enable_star_based_justifications:true&ie=UTF8&cid=6771187789820398104&q=Dade-Collier+Training+and+Transition+Airport&iwloc=A&gl=US&hl=en-US

We've got exclusive access to the shuttle landing facility but the costs are unbelievable and use it only for nascar and lemans teams to come over and test as well as our own aero testing since it has smooth, shallow groove, and deep groove concrete portions which offer more traction than any surface other than a well prepped drag strip.

• 6 months later...

I am going to ECTA standing 1-mile at Wilmington, Ohio in June to put the car thru tech inspection only with the purpose of returning home with a to-do list to run in 2015 with safety mods to allow me to run up to 175mph.  By 2015 I hope to have the car set to run in the C/GMP class, the corresponding Fuel class (NO2), and the related street classes.   I have read the rule book, but there are still some vague areas that I can't seem to get straight answers on, thus the trip this year just to tech.  Hoping to meet Mr. Burton Brown there and scour his car and brain for ideas.  Going to wannagofast.com 1/2-mile at Clayton, GA this September for some chassis/tire shake down runs.  Proving my sincerity by registering and showing up.  ECTA is not requiring me to pay registration and they say that they are happy to tech the car.  Clayton, GA registration is April 11 and I plan to be standing on the send button at 12:01 midnight in order to get registered.

I have read every post in this thread tonight.  I found it interesting that the coefficient of drag is roughly the same for the z with the windows up and the windows down.  Am I reading the wind tunnel chart correctly?  Seems hard to believe.

I would like to ask Tony D and LVSALT some high speed tire balancing and true-ing questions.  After months of research, I haven't found a bit of info on how to ensure tires are balanced and true up to 200mph.   Is it appropriate to ask them on this thread, or would you prefer direct contact by PM?

• 10 months later...

"What do the rules say about leaving the headlight holes open and using some creative ducting to send the air to a low pressure area that won't add to lift of the car?"

In general rules it disallows air ducting as described. Look at the section on "Air Ducts"... Scoops are allowed, but ducting from one position of high pressure to another of low pressure (except for the intake) is Verboten. Best you can do is just cover them...

It was common to run stove pipes from the firewall out the back of the car....

Great idea to make that big flat area "less big" and it got disallowed.

Not in part due to one Buick that had an engine fire in the late 60's that had those stove pipes ("repurposed" from a hotel in Wendover) start glowing red and eventually melt letting two giant 6" blowtorch nozzles blowing on either side of a repositioned driver going 213 mph.

All this sort of air flow manipulation has been done before, it seems here as is usual that it's all up to what the rules allow. Wow. I would have thought that drag reduction would be the first priority to the extent that component cooling and induction air were allowed to the bare minimum that would not degrade overall performance. Without knowing the rules it's impossible to comment more than generally like this.

• 1 year later...

post-5259-0-47169200-1486932856_thumb.jpgFor sale      Bonneville Record Holder,car has set 5 records over 200mph,Current F/BFMS record holder at 220mph

minus engine,transmission,wheels and tires

Fab 9inch rear end full floater

4-link rear suspension

front tubular A-arms.Koni coil overs

aftermarket pinto rack

4-wheel - Willwood disc brakes

SCTA log book

$7500    Duane Cole   (702) 497-5014

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...