HybridZ

DC Water Jet's 202mph Z-Car

LOL, I just realized I started this thread! LOL

Great to see someone involved with the car responded and is sharing their experiences. I totally forgot I posted this when I saw the car's number and name in the record report this year.

This is a 'Red Hat' affair. I bow to those with the Red Hat. One day, I too will have the Red Hat. Till then, I intently watch and learn.

What is the "test mule" but a stock car in original form? The G-nose car was tested once, at stock ride height, with no other alterations. There is no "better" or "best" in this situation, there is only "make the car work at the given performance plateau." The car can work in either trim, as long as the air does not make it in the front opening. You will note that the ONLY total CD excursion below .40 is the red test mule with MSA type 3 air dam with like 90% of it all blocked off (in a form not pictured in the thread)

The G-nose car, like the stocker, was used at stock ride height and hit only in standard configuration IIRC.. I do not see the full backstory and can't remember where it all went at the moment, but in the end, there were really two cars which were used as controls to test various pieces, and then two (maybe more? maybe more were planned?) cars to test as baselines to compare the baselines of the two "variable" cars. There was ALOT of data trying to be grabbed in one day and they did their best to make it broadly informative.

I think it's awesome that the "Basic, bare bones" shape of the Z is more aerodynamic that that hideous G-nose everyone froths at the mouth over.

I guess it would be WAY too much to ask for a formal public apology from you guys, right?

I for one was confused about your first statement, (as after re-reading I think daeron was perhaps as well?) when you said `basic, bare bones' I assumed you were referring to the pic of the blue zed without a front, and essentially a square box hanging down.

Also, get off your freaking high horse.

Dave

Tube on back bumper of TonyD's car: parachute, its a speed record car.

Daeron, I know a little something about a "speed record car" as you say and that doesn't look like any parachute I've seen on any race car or at Bonneville. You could be right but every chute I've seen on a non-streamliner looks something like the enclosed pic. I know our LSR 280ZX uses a normal chute.

S72-42020BK.jpg

Tony, please educate me. Is that a parachute on the 2+2 like Daeron suggests or ?????

The parachute was not on the car in that photo. It's not required for the G/PRO record attempt (was around 141).

The pipe and roller (which is what you're seeing) is for the pushbar on the chase vehicle to push the car off the starting line, and when you're recovering pushing it back to the pits.

The size is due to having some 1" foam and shag carpet wrapped around it. Without it, you WILL swear and likely seriously injure yourself walking around the back of the car quickly one time, and get caught RIGHT BELOW THE KNEES with that damn thing! With the padding and carpet on there, it's just an 'Oh yeah' moment. When it's just the piping bare...well, it doesn't feel good at all...

The parachute we have is as JGK showed, and goes on a separate superstructure that is not installed (but you can see the holes for it in the bumper...)

As for "Mr. Fluid Dynamics", he needs to do more than read the results, he needs to read the extensive conversation that Alan Thomas added in regards to the G-Nose "As Tested in the Wind Tunnel" compared to what a real factory Nissan unit looks like.

Yeah, they put them all over cars in Japan for the SCCN Races because they weren't functional. Go back to tending your outdated Eagle. FYI, take a look at the airframe design date on that pig. The McDonnel Douglas Assembly line was pumping those out when people were still listening to disco. That's not a 'new' airframe by any means. Hell it was over 10 years old when I worked on it...24 years ago!

Found another Z from Bonneville, I dont know anything about this one or the previous, Maybe Tony knows something about them?

Cool. I'm not sure where you got that picture but here's the detail. The car is a 1978 280Z that was my friend Oz's first attempt at a land speed record. The picture was taken in 1979. The car had a turbocharged L28 and eventually went 188mph for the record at the time. The car was retired and sold to a guy in California. Unfortunately it was in a garage during a major earthquake and suffered fatal damage from falling shelves and engine parts.

Cool. I'm not sure where you got that picture but here's the detail. The car is a 1978 280Z that was my friend Oz's first attempt at a land speed record. The picture was taken in 1979. The car had a turbocharged L28 and eventually went 188mph for the record at the time. The car was retired and sold to a guy in California. Unfortunately it was in a garage during a major earthquake and suffered fatal damage from falling shelves and engine parts.

Live by the parts hoard... die by the parts hoard... RIP

The first photo appears to be Mike Mika's car, the one we copied in our attempt to break their record set in 75.

Question is where did you find these photos. They would have been invaluable during the protest discussions, and are now downloaded to my hard drive for printing and putting into the three-ring folder we keep with the cars white book (you know the one...)

If either of you could give me more links so I can view these photos from their original sources, it would be appreciated. It was pulling teeth at Isky to get them to turn loose the F/P 280 Coupe photo that was there---but the signed and dated information on the BACK of the photo was more important to us than the photo itself (I had taken current photos of the car in the Nissan Museum).

Didn't expect to see either photo! NEAT!

As far as 'live by the parts hoarde, die by it...

40' Sea Containers move with the ground. If you know how to pack them, nothing gets damaged in an earthquake!

Tony, PM me and I'll see if I can help.

The first photo appears to be Mike Mika's car, the one we copied in our attempt to break their record set in 75.

Question is where did you find these photos. They would have been invaluable during the protest discussions, and are now downloaded to my hard drive for printing and putting into the three-ring folder we keep with the cars white book (you know the one...)

If either of you could give me more links so I can view these photos from their original sources, it would be appreciated. It was pulling teeth at Isky to get them to turn loose the F/P 280 Coupe photo that was there---but the signed and dated information on the BACK of the photo was more important to us than the photo itself (I had taken current photos of the car in the Nissan Museum).

Didn't expect to see either photo! NEAT!

As far as 'live by the parts hoarde, die by it...

40' Sea Containers move with the ground. If you know how to pack them, nothing gets damaged in an earthquake!