HybridZ

DC Water Jet's 202mph Z-Car

I have a dream. A dream of vast expanses of dry lake beds and salt flats..and attaining my speed licenses from the SCTA! :)

I hope, one day, to be able to at least go for my 150 before I die.

If you guys need a sponsor or even someone to scrape the salt off, or even air up the tires, I'll be there ASAP!

I have a dream. A dream of vast expanses of dry lake beds and salt flats..and attaining my speed licenses from the SCTA! :)

I hope, one day, to be able to at least go for my 150 before I die.

If you guys need a sponsor or even someone to scrape the salt off, or even air up the tires, I'll be there ASAP!

If 150 is your goal, you should get with the USFRA (Utah Salt Flats Racing Association) they hold FAR more events at the Salt than the SCTA sponsors, and their requirements for the 150mph class are considerably less than going the full on dedicated race car approach. There is a guy in SLC that is prepping his street-driven S130 for their 150mph touring car class for that very same goal.

It's a much easier way to get a feel for the car at speed, do it on the salt, and have several attempts a year to do so. It's the Utah equivalent of us SoCal guys running at El Mirage to prep for Bonneville each year.

To have a dedicated race car is one thing. To have a certificate for your street car that says you have officially gone 15X.XXX Mph on Such-and-Such a Date, as certified by the USFRA... HOW COOL IS THAT?

Curiously, all those guys with 'Stock 160mph 240/260/280Z's' have never taken me up on the opportunity for me to pay their entrance fees at an USFRA event to prove me wrong about the speed capability of a STOCK (or triple webered and lowered) 240Z...

Hmmmmm...

I digress...

Seriously Though, check out the Utah Salt Flats Racing Association for information. It will only infect you further, though. Lets not lie about it. Once you get it, there is no cure...

Oh, and Filmjay, check out ECTA, they hold land speed racing events over weekends (all two-day events, which is nice) at Maxton Airfield in Laurinburgh NC. That's less than a 14 hour drive from Mayfield KY, and they get competitiors from as far away as Alabama!

Same atmosphere and on concrete!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow that 300ZX looks subtly radical!! The grille seems almost totally blocked off, the front lip of the car naturally has a bit of a splitter on it, and I can only assume that is some sort of air duct to let air move through the car rather than around the windshield? What is the silverish thing in the midst of all that? Car looks like it is riding LOW too, that looks like a wild ride!!!!

The 280ZX is nice looking, too.. what are those doubled hoses coming up above the intake for each cylinder, fuel lines? Carb or EFI? And is that an exhaust pipe running along the passenger rocker?

Lots of questions, I know.. not looking for an instant answer (you DID say "no info") just shooting in the dark wondering if anyone else has anything to say..

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

200+ mph 2 liter Z? Cool thread!

With the front end closed off like in JGK's photos I could see nice slipstreaming. I just don't know what the function of that silver section is...and it looks like it was added this year. Perhaps it's ballast. I've seen a lot of stuff done to keep front ends planted.

Ballast at the front gives more aerodynamic stability. If the back end is "moving around" as mentioned, greater aero stability margin should help.

If 150 is your goal, you should get with the USFRA (Utah Salt Flats Racing Association) they hold FAR more events at the Salt than the SCTA sponsors, and their requirements for the 150mph class are considerably less than going the full on dedicated race car approach. There is a guy in SLC that is prepping his street-driven S130 for their 150mph touring car class for that very same goal.

It's a much easier way to get a feel for the car at speed, do it on the salt, and have several attempts a year to do so. It's the Utah equivalent of us SoCal guys running at El Mirage to prep for Bonneville each year.

To have a dedicated race car is one thing. To have a certificate for your street car that says you have officially gone 15X.XXX Mph on Such-and-Such a Date, as certified by the USFRA... HOW COOL IS THAT?

Curiously, all those guys with 'Stock 160mph 240/260/280Z's' have never taken me up on the opportunity for me to pay their entrance fees at an USFRA event to prove me wrong about the speed capability of a STOCK (or triple webered and lowered) 240Z...

Hmmmmm...

I digress...

Seriously Though, check out the Utah Salt Flats Racing Association for information. It will only infect you further, though. Lets not lie about it. Once you get it, there is no cure...

Tony D: I am restoring a 1971 240Z. A SBC 383 stroker, 500HP/500FtLbs Torque, is intended to go into it along with a 93-97 T56 with 0.50 6th gear and 3.7 CLSD R200 with CV half shaft and BEEFY MM stub axles. Without wind drag, 6000 rpm in top gear = 231mph. I want to install a vertically extended rear wing for rear down force and an air dam in front extending as close to the ground as possible with a NASCAR type horizontal splitter at the bottom of the air dam. I want to keep the openings on the front of the air dam to the smallest possible with good cooling and Ram Air for engine intake air. I would like to try to hit or surpass 150MPH without the front lifting. Your comments please.

i am guessing but i think that alot of cars use a water tank in back instead of a radiator.like 20 gallons or so.its enough to run the course .no radiator openings at all.the weight over the back wheels helps for traction-its not pavement.i dont think a light car is a big deal in this case.as far as a trans with big od ratio-there is a critical max speed on any driveshaft.i am not into math-but there is calculations for length and diameter.even if its perfectly balenced.i would get a ford 8.8 irs out of a late 90's tbird or lincoln mark 8 and not spin too many revs on the drive shaft-you can get a 2.8 ratio

• 2 months later...
Three weeks untill we leave for Bonneville, car is ready, goal for this year is 225mph+

If anyone from this forum is going to the salt stop by and say Hi.

Gary Cole DCWATERJET Z

Best of luck to you Gary. I hope the salt is in good shape this year. Let us know how you did.

I was just reviewing the records and saw the DCWaterjet record...thought, man it's about that time of the year again!

Good Luck Gary! I'm on Furlough near that time, maybe I'll take a Southwest FF trip to SLC for a couple of days. Better go check the salt report at the SCTA website...