HybridZ

DC Water Jet's 202mph Z-Car

Another angle of the spin (slide) watch the throttle in the upper right of the video and listen to the engine. You can tell how slippery the new course was. Not complaining I have no excuses for what happened other guys made it down the track, SCTA - BNI does an EXCELLENT job running the event just pointing out what happened with our car.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We finaly started on the new nose for the car. I hope this will do the trick (225mph+) a friend who works with fiberglass has started shaping the nose.

(roughed in)

Were happy with the way the nose is coming along, should be better than the wall i was pushing.

post-5259-045858400 1307316802_thumb.jpg

Very nice look! Similar to what I had envisioned some time ago for my street car. 904-Porsche style double-stacked quad headlights under plexiglass covers!

Keep the fingers crossed, and all wheels on the ground!

Ever fire it up to take it out of the garage? :D

Very nice look! Similar to what I had envisioned some time ago for my street car. 904-Porsche style double-stacked quad headlights under plexiglass covers!

Keep the fingers crossed, and all wheels on the ground!

Ever fire it up to take it out of the garage? :D

Running the car is not a problem, I have very cool neighbors, one of them, Larry the fireman is on our crew.

• 3 weeks later...

How many gears do you have?

I am thinking that an official record could be had on a long runway with the proper officials in attendance.

Traction is not an issue on grooved concrete.

Howlermonkey we have a 5 speed (Richmond-Nash)

There are events on runways but we prefer the salt. Alot of history out on the salt, every time I drive out onto the salt i think of the great racers that have raced out there. Arfons,Breedlove,Summers,Burke and many more.

Actually traction IS a problem on grooved concrete. The Maxton strip in NC needed extensive work to become 'smooth enough' to support real high speed runs. Concrete is not as smooth as many people think.

The Salt in Utah is using gravity and evaporation to make a water-leveled smoothness. Drag a heavy iron rail over the tops of the pressure-ridges in the salt, and it becomes far smoother than most concrete on the interstates.

The last thing you want at 180mph is to go from one section of concrete to another where the suspension unloads...scary! :huh:

I think we will be running a few cars on the NASA space shuttle runway that weekend.

It's a 3 mile runway with the grooves smoothed out on damn near a mile or it, if not more.

NASA did this because shuttle touchdown on the grooved surface was pretty hard on the tires.

Here's where the nose gear touched down on the last shuttle landing.

_MG_9279_resize.jpg

We had at least 2 cars go 200 or high 190s in the standing mile and ran the length of the runway at 200mph on the twin turbo car using it as a dyno to get our tune proper and pull data on suspension height and temperatures that you just can't do on a dyno and we had no issues with the runway grooves at all.

One issue we had was that the runway has such amazing traction which, combined with the mid-engine layout on the ford GT and super quick boost ramp up profile we used with the ams1000 boost controller (boost by gear) that we had the pinion collapse it's bearing mounting which is part of the casting of the case.

If things go right, we should do 280mph in the standing mile as 253 came so easily with substantially less horsepower than we now have.

_MG_9592%20(1)_resize.jpg

Anyway....this is close to a hijacking......sorry.

Edited by HowlerMonkey