HybridZ
getZ

72 240z 383sbc with many mods

Well I think I like working on this car more than realy driving it. I tried making it little more docile, but it's more rambunctious than I really want. It's quick, but it's hot and loud. In a downturn of an economy C5's have really fallen in price and I would consider trading and throwing in some cash for the right C5. I'd prefer an FRC, but would settle for a regular couple. It's got to be under 85,000 miles in any color but yellow and not a convertible. Also no red interiors, black, tan and grey are okay. I like my z car, but would prefer something more comfortable.

Now the details of my car:

1972 240z from Tucson, orginally sickboys car

single stage paint (I don't know what it is since I did not paint it)

it's something like a hugger orange

Boze mesh wheels, nitto drag radials 245/17 out back. BFG g-force sport 225/17 up front.

AZC (willwood) 4 piston clipers up front, mms 240sx rear brakes and the e-brake does work. There's also a biasing valve by the drivers seat.

All four corners have mms coilovers. 200/225 (the back is either 225 or 250, I forget)

Motorsport front sway bar (1 1/8), no rear sway bar. Autopower 4 point scca approved sway bar with removable diagonal bar and removable harness bar. Motorsport front strut brace. Bad Dog frame rail caps.

Engine:

60 over 350, squared, line honed and torque plate honed Keith Black hypereutectic pistons. Speed pro rings. 6" Elgin 5140 rods with ARP bolts. Internaly balanced, clevite bearings, ARP bolts used throughout engine, Dart Pro 1 200cc heads, cast crank, crane cam [email protected] 480 lift. Edelbrock pro-flo EFI, vintage air ac, 140 amp alternator, weiand water pump, AZC radiator and taurus two speed fan. Wide band O2 sensor NOT included with sale.

2004r Bowtie Overdrive level 2 transmission with 1800 stall, big trans cooler up front

300zxt half shafts, mms 4340 cv adapters and stub axles, power brute LSD professionally installed.

Interior:

new carpets, seat covers, autometer guages, sony deck, Rockford fosgate speakers.

Also, uninstalled I have a new window seals and door seals as well as a full dash cap.

I have not driven this car much, probably less than a couple thousand miles and never more than ten miles in one shot so I have never ironed out any problems with vehicle endurance, overheating, etc. A lot of things are custom on this car so clearances, things to close to the exhaust etc have not been tested. I personaly would not drive this car cross country without somebody in a chase car, but across town okay. I'd perfer a local sale. $10,500 with EFI, $8,800 converted back to a carb.

BTW, I'm still dialing in the fuel injection yet so it still needs some tuning if you had to have it today. There's not much left to do to the except clean up the wiring. It's pretty complete and you cannot build a car like this for the price.

240z for sale 007_thumb.JPG

240z for sale 008_thumb.JPG

240z for sale 009_thumb.JPG

240z for sale 010_thumb.JPG

240z for sale 011_thumb.JPG

240z for sale 012_thumb.JPG

240z for sale 013_thumb.JPG

240z for sale 014_thumb.JPG

240z for sale 015_thumb.JPG

240z for sale 016_thumb.JPG

240z for sale 017_thumb.JPG

240z for sale 018_thumb.JPG

240z for sale 020_thumb.JPG

240z for sale 021_thumb.JPG

240z for sale 022_thumb.JPG

Sorry, I'm not going to part out a completely running car. If it doesn't sell I may pull the engine and do an electric conversion, then I would sell the engine and trans. There is a lot of money into this car and you will never build a car like this for the money. Take a look at the listing and everywhere you will see a thousand bucks here and there.

i know this is off topic, but how much clearance is there from top of air cleaner to hood? (carbed.... not efi) if you know, im just wondering because my friend said no clearance issues but someone else said there was i wanted to know for sure, ya know?

I use a drop base cleaner, but I don't think I have to. The manifold is like a victor junior, but the throttle body is slightly shorter than the edelbrock carb I was running earlier. I haven't checked the exact clearance space left.

Wow, nice car. There is a lot of work for that kind of money. Someone sorts it out, and they will have a rocket ship on their hands.

It's not that hard to sort if you have a wideband O2 sensor, just run conservative on timing and fuel, but it does take a lot of time because its all trial and error. This is such a deal I'm surprised there hasn't been that much of a response. I never would want a person to feel like they didn't get a deal. I could never run a business like that, but then again I'm not a businessman.

Guest Nizm0

Wow, a very beautiful car. Hats off for you. Definitely a good job on this beast. No video's of it eh? Bet it sounds mean with that exhaust.

I thought this was an excellent deal, so to give you an idea of what went into the car:

ARIZONA Z CAR

azc radiator $350

azc front brakes with braided lines $795

biasing valve $39

MMS

rear brake package $425

outsourced callipers to go with rear brakes $150

coilover all four corners $430

billet 4340 stub axles $695

z31 4340 flange adapers $395

Wheels and tires

Boze rims $2000

tires $500 (approx)

Rear End

Powerbrute LSD $500

300zxt halfshafts $150

BOWTIE OVERDRIVE TRANSMISSION

level II 2004r $1200

........and I didn't even list the engine, ac, interior parts yet, not including the price of the original car. I just got tired of writing all this stuff down.

Guest Gohachi

Hey, I have a 79 350 SBC in my 78 280z. I was considering going fuel injection in an effort to get better fuel economy and easier starts in the cold washington mornings. Would you recommend the Fuel Injection? How was your experience with the system you're using? Would you do it again if you had the choice? You can email me off of the forums if you would like. [email protected]

My Z is practically the same exact color, but with the bigger uglier bumpers. Almost all stock on the outside too. Great buildup. Kudos on your work.

Hey, I have a 79 350 SBC in my 78 280z. I was considering going fuel injection in an effort to get better fuel economy and easier starts in the cold washington mornings. Would you recommend the Fuel Injection? How was your experience with the system you're using? Would you do it again if you had the choice? You can email me off of the forums if you would like. [email protected]

My Z is practically the same exact color, but with the bigger uglier bumpers. Almost all stock on the outside too. Great buildup. Kudos on your work.

I haven't dialed everything in yet, but I am not expecting to see big peak horsepower gains. What you mostly see is drivability. Cold starts are quick, throttle response is outstanding and part throttle acceleration is improved, but because there are so many parameters to tune, the setup process is time consuming not to mention the whole setup is very expensive. This is my opinion, you cannot beat the smoothness of a factory tune for everyday driving. As expensive as the aftermarket computers have gotten, I would rather build an engine using an existing OEM computer. The new LS series engine would be my choice whether it be a 5.3 liter truck engine or 6 liter LS2. It's not only the cost. You are taking advantage of a 20 year gap in technology. The LS series engines can make 500 horsepower and still idle close to a stock engine, let see you do that with your standard SBC!

BTW, I'm sure you'll see better fuel economy, but if that is your priorty, you are better off with a six speed that fuel injection.

No more additional project cars for now. I still have a 73 camaro that needs to be finished. I was just looking to sell the car so I could get a c-5 corvette or something a little more civilized to cruise in and go on dates, something a bit flashier than my truck. The z car is just to rumbly. If it doesn't sell I may just use it for a track only car for the friday night "run what ya brung" nights". I can still drive it to the track without having to trailer it.

I didn't realize z cars rusted so much so I attached some pics of where others had problems. My car was from Tuscon so it never had the problems some guys are seeing. I never had problems inside the wheel well or on any of the outside of the body, just the front of the frame rails, now covered by a fabricated cap attached to the bad dog frame rail caps. The texturing on the rails is not undercoating, but lizard skin rolled on.

The paint job is at least a couple of years old now and shows no signs of anything coming out.

what rust 001_thumb.JPG

what rust 015_thumb.JPG

what rust 019_thumb.JPG

what rust 010_thumb.JPG

what rust 021_thumb.JPG

Guest vnmus

waz up mr.getZ

is the car still for sale let me know...... also if you could please pm the lowest you will go ...... i got my trailer and truck ready

tnx