HybridZ

Need advice on selling the Z

blueovalz

I'm closer than ever before in deciding that I'd like to work on another auto related project, but cannot justify it in terms of money, space, or time spent unless I depart with the Z (the BlueOvalZ).

I'm looking for advice (and please refrain from the "don't do it" comments...thank you) on how to go about this process. Questions include; do I sell it whole and intact (netting less money), or to piece-meal it out in parts and then sell the body or chassis separately?

I any of you guys have sold past projects or cars (let’s keep this restricted to race car experiences because this is a very impractical street car), please pass your experience or wisdom on to me.

While parting it out *might* net a bit more money, I'd think that something as custom as your car with as much time into the body as was spent would net a very fine price. Detailed pictures and descriptions of why the body was made as it was would give great justification to the price. Just remember that you'll never get out what you put in.

(Nevertheless, it is a very cool and inspiring car.)

Sell it as a whole. You might get a little more if you part it, but is it worth your time to deal with multiple buyers/shipments/sales methods. I agree that your car's value comes from the entire package. I would consider a professional auction or specialty dealership if you can handle the fee.

EDIT: :cry:

You can definitely make more off of the car if you part it out. But it can be a long drawn out process selling part by part, whereas if you sell it as a whole car you can just be done with it and have your money to go towards your next project.

If you are emotionally attached to the car (arent we all) then it will also be harder to dismantle it and sell it off. Hope this helps some.

Odd situation you have there. The car is really a package. If it were a stock-ish z with newer performance parts I would recommend parting it.

Your car needs to stay together, likely anyone who can afford that car will want a turn-key ride.

That said.. how much? And whats the new plan? I can only imagine

Evan

The market is a tough one right now, but your car has a reputation outside of Hybridz so that should help. I agree with the others that the car should be sold as a whole, at the very least if you part it out it is going to take longer to clear the room needed for a new project.

Good luck

Dragonfly

Terry - Test the market, take some amazing photos and write-up a complimentary description and see what eBay does. We live in a visual society, and the more pics the better, I never understand the guys who sells his Ferrair on eBay with pictures from his crappy cell-phone camera!

It will cost you $50 to list, but worth it, it might even take a few tries before you meet reserve.

All you need is one "right" buyer, and set your reserve realistically, as the market has softened up for these pleasure vehicles.

Hope that helps!

Yasin

I agree, it would have to be sold as a package.

Now could you PM me a price?

If I abandonded my 240ZG project, sold off my g-nose stuff inc. headlight covers, zg flairs, powder coated suspension, coil overs, NOS tail lights NOS door panels, LSD w/CV coversoin, Sparco seats, roll bar, SS hood, AZ car brake kit, 383 stroker roller engine, all spares and sold the Scarab hmmmm.

Hey-

Try to sell it as a complete car. What you have done is so specific to your car, I think you would fare better to sell it as a whole unit. Be sure to include links to your website on your add. I would suggest E bay for sure, with lots of info and as many photos as possible.

Your car is very cool and extreme, a real car lovers dream that I am sure most all of us would love to own.

I would try craigslist first. It's free! Post all over the country. I would stay away from the smaller cities.

I would give a $500 allowance that you kick in to help towards shipping cost. I would also do the research on shipping costs. This will be a big advantage to helping the potential buyer if you have the answers up front.

I’ve not looked at your car closely. Is it show quality? You could always contact Barrett-Jackson and see how that would work out.

I know it’s not the same car but this is an example:

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/ctd/871015130.html

I’m guessing without looking at your car and if it is much nicer than the above one, 25-30K.

I would also not part it out, unless of course it is not a turn key car. If it is a project for someone else, I think you will be hard pressed to get any serious money for it.

In my opinion, your car would fall into a very small niche market. You would have to find the right person at the right time. Discretionary income is very scarce right now even for the rich.

Good luck!

I agree about the complete car. I think you could sell it with the old engine and sell your new engine separately if you wanted to maximize dollars. You've really got me wondering what the new project would be. Is it a secret? Regardless I hope you stick around even if you do sell the car. Your insight is much appreciated.

I agree that the car would likely get more as a turn key sale.

On the flip side a friend of mine just sold his 2003 Mustang, that had a proffessionally built chassis, set-up for EZ street (power adder 10.5 class that usually runs in the high 7s), basically complete rolling, less engine, turbo and EFI system for $80,000. The car was basically new, completed earlier this year and had half a pass on it.

Another no to parting out. I am biased (and perhaps naive), but I would presume you could get $30K+ for the car as a complete package.

I would also suggest focusing some non-trivial energy on marketing. Hire a good photographer that specializes in automobiles to find a good background (maybe a race track), take the photos and retouch/photoshop them. Consider an auction service and/or placing ads in the high-end "rich-boy" listing mags. Maybe a consignment in an exotic dealership a major city like Miami.

Terry, I never thought that day would come. I remember a few years ago when you finished it I suggested you should sell it since the challenge was over, man, did I get bashed by members here. Anyways, too bad they are no longer here anymore. I'am sure you would of sold it by now. Whatever you do, make molds of it. You can sell that look in kit form (GTO, GT40.... BLUEOVALZ)

Does Mikelly and the others who are still here from the beginning of Hybridz know about this?

Good luck, and if you are out of the datsun world please stick around. You are a wealth of knowledge for us guys.

Cheers,

For the whole car its going to take some time to find the right buyer. If you're willing to take the time, then that's probably the best option. You must keep in mind that what your car is worth is different from what it will sell for.

I couldn't sell the Rusty Old Datsun complete (although it was a more specialized car then yours) mostly because is scared the two different guys who test drove it at Buttonwillow. I ended up parting it out. That process took six months and a lot of effort on my end to strip, clean, package/crate, and ship the various components. I ended up grossing about 15% more then the full package price but it was a net loss based on the time and effort I put in.

One benefit of parting the car out, you never worry about someone having trouble with it and calling back. And every year the car gets faster and faster as I bore everyone with stories about it :-)