HybridZ

Inspired by Ron - LS1 Coils alternate mount

garvice

I have heard people say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

I had always planned on running LS1 coils on my L28.

When I saw Ron Tyler's LS1 coil mount

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=128125

(Great looking piece of gear, be sure to pick one up instead of making your own), I thought, WOW. I have to have one of those. Was even going to pay the international shipping rates.

Obstacle No.1

Well, before I jumped in the deep end, I did my home work and found (well actually didn't find) that the truck type LS1 coils were all but impossible to find in Australia. (Before someone says, they are everywhere where I am, yes I rang around near 20 wreckers in my state and other states looking for them).

So, I decided, I will have a go myself and see what I can come up with, even though it may not be a nice as Ron's.

Obstacle No.2 (Fitting them in there)

The car coils are huge. roughly 90mm wide (almost 3.54" in the old language) and 80mm high. Doesn't sound like much until you realise that there is only 95mm between spark plugs. Also, I currently have a bit of gear that will need moving if I mount them where Ron did (Coolant hose, Change oil filter mount because mine comes off the block at an angle and points up where the coil would go, run turbo oil line from elsewhere).

Obstacle No.3

The car coils have the electrical and spark plugs both on the same end. Quite frankly, the electrical plug is ugly sticking out the top.

So, all that to get to the pictures. Before I made a real mount, I fabbed one out of MDF and mounted it to see how it would look.

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

Now, I know it doesn't look as good as Ron's mount, but what do you guys think of it's placement?

Do you think it sticks out too much being there?

Should I move the coils closer together and try and fit them down where Ron had his?

I think it detracts from my first goal of trying to make it look simple, however I also think once painted it wouldn't look half bad. (Indecision, I hate it).

If I go ahead with this placement, I will paint the bottom of the coil black and probably powdercoat the mount black or red.

Fantastic write up! Way to give great credit to where deserved!

I myself am more pragmatic in my approach in life, so having availability of parts to fix broken stuff is high on the list.

Before changing anything and spending more time on a different mount, paint it! You can try to "hide" with flat black or make it stand out, since it's wood just paint over paint. Rattle can should suffice.

Great mount BTW!:) I like it.

Any way you can maybe put some kinda contour to the high lip along the valve cover?

I think the coil placement is good, but you have to make it from metal. The MDF looks a little cheesy.

If I ever get around to using my LS1 coils on a project, I want to mount them to the valve cover side using 1/4-20 aluminum stand-offs. I think this would be a clean install

Pete

Here is my LS1 coil mount:

Engine31.JPG

coilmount.JPG

Final look:

EngineMSA2.jpg

I am using the coils from a 2001 Firebird.

The car coils are huge. roughly 90mm wide (almost 3.54" in the old language) and 80mm high. Doesn't sound like much until you realise that there is only 95mm between spark plugs. Also, I currently have a bit of gear that will need moving if I mount them where Ron did (Coolant hose, Change oil filter mount because mine comes off the block at an angle and points up where the coil would go, run turbo oil line from elsewhere).

I ran into these issues which is why I came up with my design. As you can see, it addresses fairly nicely.

I have heard people say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

I had always planned on running LS1 coils on my L28.

When I saw Ron Tyler's LS1 coil mount

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=128125

(Great looking piece of gear, be sure to pick one up instead of making your own), I thought, WOW. I have to have one of those. Was even going to pay the international shipping rates.

Obstacle No.1

Well, before I jumped in the deep end, I did my home work and found (well actually didn't find) that the truck type LS1 coils were all but impossible to find in Australia. (Before someone says, they are everywhere where I am, yes I rang around near 20 wreckers in my state and other states looking for them).

So, I decided, I will have a go myself and see what I can come up with, even though it may not be a nice as Ron's.

So what coils did you end up buying, (make / model) ?

Nigel

Any way you can maybe put some kinda contour to the high lip along the valve cover?

Do you mean towards the valve cover? or front of engine to back?

I do think if I mount it high like this, that I am going to have to change the shape a bit, too boxy for me.

I think the coil placement is good, but you have to make it from metal. The MDF looks a little cheesy.

MDF is purely for the development phase. Didn't want to send it to a water cutting shop before I was happy with the design.

So what coils did you end up buying, (make / model) ?

Coils are out of a Holden commodore V8 (Pontiac GTO to all you Americans), one of the later model ones with the Gen3 V8s. Picked them up on AU ebay for about $80 (for 8). There is normally only one set on ebay at a time, but plenty in the wreckers.

KTM, I do like your approach. I had seen it on your thread and on Ron's. I thought they looked a bit better the way Ron had them, just don't think I can fit them properly that way. Plus, I think I can hide the wires better the way Ron did it, although looking at your finished product they do blend into the engine bay nicely.

Obviously your coils work in your setup, but do they get hot? I thought if I mounted them to some 3mm Aluminium that it might act like a good heat sink for them.

Garvice, I tried to get mine to fit like Ron's as well and encountered the same issue as you (when you state "just don't think I can fit them properly that way"). I wanted the slick look that Ron achieved, but was unable to get them to fit properly.

Guest 280ZForce
Obstacle No.1

i've got 2 extra LSx truck coil packs and I'd be happy to help source another 4 for you if need be and I can ship them to you no problem.

here's my setup w/ RT's mount, I powder coated the mount and went with the magnecor r100 10mm wires...

IMG_0358.jpg

Ok guys, take two.

I have trimmed it down quite a bit and at the moment it is done with two peices of 6mm mdf and a 3mm peices of aluminium strip.

Final mount will be a single peice of probably 3-5mm aluminium bent into shape.

This one is still a little lower at the back, final mount will be in line with the top of the valve cover.

IMG_0769-1.jpg

IMG_0771-1.jpg

IMG_0768-1.jpg

IMG_0766-1.jpg

IMG_0767-1.jpg

Now, criticise away.

Also, Ktm, did you does your coil mount vibrate at all when the engine is running?

My mount will be coming of the block simillar to yours.

Cheers

Brad

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys,

I got my mount back from the water cutters.

Was a little dissapointed with the quality. They forgot three of the holes, the aluminium they used was quite badly scratched (Nothing abit of elbow grease couldn't get out) and their suposed 0.1mm tolerance was more like 0.5mm.

But, I digress, it was still well worth it and I am glad I got them to do it.

Here are the pictures, still thinking I will paint it black.

Mount and Distibutor Cap

IMG_1278-1.jpg

Distributor Cap Spacer

IMG_1282-1.jpg

From Passenger Side (RHD)

IMG_1288.jpg

Distributor Cap

IMG_1289.jpg

Mounted

IMG_1290.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

Showing the Spark Plug Length

IMG_1294.jpg

Guys, if you are in america and can get the truck coils, then please use Ron's mount. Looks a lot better and would be a hell of a lot less hassle then mine.

If you don't have access to the truck coils and you want to use something like mine, then let me know and I will send you the dxf file.