HybridZ

when is it FAST ENOUGH!

my current 383 has a custom EFI intake based on a highly modified HSR with extensively ported runners and a custom plenum and 36 lb injectors, but Ive built lots of similar power range 383 engines with 750-850 HOLLEY carb on EDELBROCK and WEIAND INTAKES in the past, keep in mind the wole engine is designed to maximize a 150hp-200hp shot of NITROUS not built for N/A hp

Edited by grumpyvette

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess it depends on the power. I've had both turbo and big block monsters. Right now I have a 1972 240Z with a 383 stroker and a T56 trans. I run drag radials and I think the car makes about 370 or so to the wheels. I also have a 730 HP Lexus SC300. Anything above 50 mph the SC is the car for me but around town the Z is way more fun. I really don't agree with the "to much power and you can't drive it around all day". My Lexus on pump gas and with the boost controler off still makes around 500 at the wheels and I can drive it all day any day.

Grumpy: What is a HSR? Which manifold are you using that is modified? I am building a 383 SBC stroker that may have an Edelbrock Pro Flow XT manifold and injectors but have a MAF, Drive By Wire throttle body, TAC module and 0411 PCM modified with Roadrunner EFI system. I have finally decided on solid roller lifters, associated camshaft and shaft rocker arms to make certain that there is ALWAYS good and reliable valve lift. The bottom end is all forged components so a shot of NITROUS should not be much of a problem. Want to start out with a carb and carb manifold. Trying to replicate a 500 HP and 500 Ft/Lb SBC listed on AFR's web site.

Grumpy: What is a HSR? Which manifold are you using that is modified? I am building a 383 SBC stroker that may have an Edelbrock Pro Flow XT manifold and injectors but have a MAF, Drive By Wire throttle body, TAC module and 0411 PCM modified with Roadrunner EFI system. I have finally decided on solid roller lifters, associated camshaft and shaft rocker arms to make certain that there is ALWAYS good and reliable valve lift. The bottom end is all forged components so a shot of NITROUS should not be much of a problem. Want to start out with a carb and carb manifold. Trying to replicate a 500 HP and 500 Ft/Lb SBC listed on AFR's web site.

HSR =HOLLEY STEALTH RAM

41vjxK-swcL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

nos-05151nos_w.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NOS-05151NOS/?image=large

3570475166_573ac383e5.jpg

I usually base my powerplant choice on the capability of the drivetrain and suspension/tires, along with the weight of the vehicle. Hence my choice of the 280Z. Light weight, 325 to the ground and a plate on top of that should give me a decent 1/4 mile time with a vehicle that can still handle.

• 3 weeks later...

Just ran a new best at the Texas Motorplex last friday night. went 9.94 at 137 with a 1.51 60 ft. Weather was perfect for racing, 72 degree's and dry air. I think leaving on the bottle earlier will get me into the .70-.80 range too. Right now I hit the sauce at the 60 ft. mark.

Just ran a new best at the Texas Motorplex last friday night. went 9.94 at 137 with a 1.51 60 ft. Weather was perfect for racing, 72 degree's and dry air. I think leaving on the bottle earlier will get me into the .70-.80 range too. Right now I hit the sauce at the 60 ft. mark.

Congrats Mike!

Now where's the video?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1990 2+2, 383 Gen 1 SBC, Nissan 5 spd & Nissan R200 w/4.08:1 & carbonetics posi (still holding up!!)........600hp / 10.8 sec / 123 mph.......pics attached.....this was a fun project to build & more fun to drive :)

Used to see you all the time in Hudson, sick car.

It's too fast or too modified, they day you cringe a bit about taking it out (see below list of possible reasons), and instead go and grab the DD.

Fear of tickets/police hassles, fear of parking hassles, fear of theft, fear of rain/getting it dirty, fear of someone crashing into you, fear of breaking something, fear of not being able to afford to repair said "breaking of something" etc.

There are a lot of us in or approaching that boat. Yep I said me too. Guilty of taking the DD instead of the risk/hassle of taking the Z.