HybridZ
Warren

DNI Shootout (Lite) 10/18 Roll Call

With the economy being in the shape it is, people still being in the middle of projects and gas prices being so high, we're not anticipating alot of attendees this time around, but would like to get a sampling of who IS planning on attending. Interest in the event seems to be declining, to say the least.

Remember, the hotel is the Days Inn in Byron and the hotel gathering is on Friday, the 17th with the track meet being on Saturday the 18th. This is NOT a private track rental, just a weekend date at the track during their CSR/Super Street/Open Comp session. For more info on that go to The Track's Website.

The track will also be doing the NHRA Street Legal Drags (basically a big test & tune session) on Friday evening. There may be some of us who go to that event as well, "while we're at it"...

Please post in this post if you're going to be joining us at the hotel on Friday and/or at the track on Saturday.

Thanks,

Warren

We did more testing yesterday, only could make two runs ( if you want to call them runs ) due to rain. I tamed the engine down (retared timing) and tightened up the front limiters and it is still too aggressive off the line. If we could strap on wheelie bars and cut a big hole in the floor we could be a wheelie king and go the whole length of the track. :D

So in short we will not be attending the DNI Lite, me and Jerry discussed it and money is tight right now. We do look forward to the DNI in March if it is going to happen. Maybe I will have it tamed down enought by then or Jerry will have his motor together NOS or Turbo.....

Just wanted to let everyone know.

John and Jerry :confused:

Bummer, but I understand. If gas here in Georgia had not dropped this week I may have had to bail too. I paid $4.49 a gallon for 93 octane for the Z just last week. Its dropped to $3.25 this week, figures they would wait until I filled up at the highest price :icon55:. And since I am retired now I have to watch the money output a little closer.

Gonna miss you guys, I guess if I want to see that beast run I'll have to road trip to SC. Keep working on it.

So in short we will not be attending the DNI Lite, me and Jerry discussed it and money is tight right now. We do look forward to the DNI in March if it is going to happen.

John and Jerry :confused:

Bummer, but I understand. If gas here in Georgia had not dropped this week I may have had to bail too. I paid $4.49 a gallon for 93 octane for the Z just last week. Its dropped to $3.25 this week, figures they would wait until I filled up at the highest price :icon55:. And since I am retired now I have to watch the money output a little closer.

Gonna miss you guys, I guess if I want to see that beast run I'll have to road trip to SC. Keep working on it.

It's down to $3.08 here in Warner Bubba, there's hope for it to go sub $3 by the end of the week.

Hey guys, I really wish I could make it up for this one.. but unfortunatly I will not. I will not go in to details but it involves my wife taking a job with pay 1/2 what she was making ( but she is MUUUUCH happier) , Z is still on stands and just.... time.. I will be there in March though!!!..

Rain sucks, eveb though I know we need it in GA. I drove almost all the way down the motel Friday in the rain. 15 minutes after I arrived it started raining again. NOBODY from DNI showed up at the motel, very disappointing, so I was very bored in the tiny town of Byron Friday night. I got up early but it was still raining a little. So I decided not to bother driving to Silver Dollar and playing in the mud thinking it would all be called off anyway.

As far as the retirement goes I stood as much as I could stand of corporate America and bailed out on July 31. BORED??? I don't think so. I have so many projects with the house and car to keep me busy for years. In fact I think I'm working harder now that I did when I had a job.

I'll be up Saturday....hope to see you there.....

Dale....what do you mean, "retired"? Ya can't draw social security unit you're 80 or so....you're gonna get bored! :o)

Regards,

Wayne

Rain sucks, eveb though I know we need it in GA. I drove almost all the way down the motel Friday in the rain. 15 minutes after I arrived it started raining again. NOBODY from DNI showed up at the motel, very disappointing, so I was very bored in the tiny town of Byron Friday night. I got up early but it was still raining a little. So I decided not to bother driving to Silver Dollar and playing in the mud thinking it would all be called off anyway.

As far as the retirement goes I stood as much as I could stand of corporate America and bailed out on July 31. BORED??? I don't think so. I have so many projects with the house and car to keep me busy for years. In fact I think I'm working harder now that I did when I had a job.

That sucks about the rain!

Glad your enjoying your retirement!

That figures! But since nobody showed at the motel I didn't know if anyone was going to show at the track either. Probably should have had Warren's cell number with me. I didn't want to take the chance on running my car if I was alone. If something went wrong I would have been in big trouble with no way to get help. Oh well, hopefully in March we will get a better turn out. Did you guys run your cars?

Well, darn, Dale....weather was good Sat. However, Warren and I are the only ones that showed...missed seeing everybody...maybe in March.....

Regards,

Wayne

Yeah, I ran mine, about 90 feet after the burnout, then I blew apart one of the reinforced silicone intercooler piping couplers, between the blow off valve and the throttle body. My day was done as I didn't have a spare and there's noplace around there to buy one. Oh well, such is life. I stopped at Summit on the way home and bought one. It'll be fixed in the morning. No other damage was done, but it was a nice BOOM at the time.

The weather was perfect, never got over 72 degrees and the staging lanes were more empty than full all day long.

I drove through byron on wed. I was hoping to put off my return trip till sat. so i could stop by but my sister needed me back in nashville to baby sit for her job interview. Sucks but Ill be there in the spring. Hopefully with a 11 secound car by then.

Sorry to hear you had problems and didn't even get one full run. I guess this weekend just wasn't meant to be.

Yeah, I ran mine, about 90 feet after the burnout, then I blew apart one of the reinforced silicone intercooler piping couplers, between the blow off valve and the throttle body. My day was done as I didn't have a spare and there's noplace around there to buy one. Oh well, such is life. I stopped at Summit on the way home and bought one. It'll be fixed in the morning. No other damage was done, but it was a nice BOOM at the time.

The weather was perfect, never got over 72 degrees and the staging lanes were more empty than full all day long.

Wish I had known you were coming down, would have met you for dinner.

Sorry to hear you had problems and didn't even get one full run. I guess this weekend just wasn't meant to be.

Dale,

You're right. I shoulda seen it coming. On Monday, the differential in my van (my tow vehicle) went out...left differential carrier bearing decided to take a dump. Fixed that on Wednesday and thought whew, almost didn't make it. Drove it around, tires out of balance, got that done on Thursday. Friday it rained and yesterday, on the first pass, this: boom.jpg Luckily, that was the only damage, but it sure put a stop to the fun.

Sometimes its just not in the cards. How much boost were you running when the hose blew?

Dale,

You're right. I shoulda seen it coming. On Monday, the differential in my van (my tow vehicle) went out...left differential carrier bearing decided to take a dump. Fixed that on Wednesday and thought whew, almost didn't make it. Drove it around, tires out of balance, got that done on Thursday. Friday it rained and yesterday, on the first pass, this: Luckily, that was the only damage, but it sure put a stop to the fun.

Datalogs show 18 just before the boom and then about 23 at the boom (I presume as the coupler balooned).

This picture of the inside shows what appears to be markings from some liquid substance that had collected and possibly evaporated a few times, leaving some sort of residue. I remember a few times, while setting up and tuning the ECU months ago, it backfired through the throttle body. I'm assuming that this residue was left behind, which would make it gasoline. These marks would have been at the bottom of the pipe as mounted, which leads me to believe that it may have erroded the integrity of the coupler, resulting in 1 big BOOM.

boom2.jpg

Warren,

I will be at this years event as a participant this year if all goes as planned. I also wanted to let you know that at the past events I have enjoyed the night before the event just as much as the time at the track. I understand as much as anyone that times are tuff but after all we always find the time and money to do the things we love !!! I hope we have a good turn out this year and am looking forward to seeing everyone. Thanks Jerry

Warren,

I will be at this years event as a participant this year if all goes as planned. I also wanted to let you know that at the past events I have enjoyed the night before the event just as much as the time at the track. I understand as much as anyone that times are tuff but after all we always find the time and money to do the things we love !!! I hope we have a good turn out this year and am looking forward to seeing everyone. Thanks Jerry

MR Silver Bullit, I was wondering if I can get about 6 car links and the break.... any charity would be Greatly appreciated.Jerry P.S. This year I promise I want use the starting fluid as bathroom deodorizer.Jerry