24 replies to this topic

#21 deja

deja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1915 posts
  • LocationSugar Hill, GA

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

Sometimes its just not in the cards. How much boost were you running when the hose blew?

Dale,

You're right. I shoulda seen it coming. On Monday, the differential in my van (my tow vehicle) went out...left differential carrier bearing decided to take a dump. Fixed that on Wednesday and thought whew, almost didn't make it. Drove it around, tires out of balance, got that done on Thursday. Friday it rained and yesterday, on the first pass, this: Luckily, that was the only damage, but it sure put a stop to the fun.

'77 280Z - Newly built LT1 4 bolt main, LT4 hot cam kit. 4L60E/Transgo shift kit. 300ZX LSD, Wolf Creek CV axles. MM 5 lug front hubs with Silvermine Stage 4 front brakes - MM 5 lug billet rear stub axles and disc brakes. Molded side skirts and ZG flares. 2905 lbs with a full tank.

#22 Warren

Warren

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:50 PM

Datalogs show 18 just before the boom and then about 23 at the boom (I presume as the coupler balooned).

This picture of the inside shows what appears to be markings from some liquid substance that had collected and possibly evaporated a few times, leaving some sort of residue. I remember a few times, while setting up and tuning the ECU months ago, it backfired through the throttle body. I'm assuming that this residue was left behind, which would make it gasoline. These marks would have been at the bottom of the pipe as mounted, which leads me to believe that it may have erroded the integrity of the coupler, resulting in 1 big BOOM.
Posted Image

#23 Evan Purple240zt

Evan Purple240zt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts
  • LocationMadison area, WI

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:34 PM

Ouch. I wonder if the inside of the coupler was cut when you were doing mockup back in the day. I have never blown apart a coupler before! New one on me LOL.

Sorry the turnout wasn't so great. Look at it this way, at least you weren't painting your house! (like me).

Evan
1995 240sx....
1972 240z RIP

#24 silver bullit

silver bullit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCayce, South Carolina

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

Warren,
I will be at this years event as a participant this year if all goes as planned. I also wanted to let you know that at the past events I have enjoyed the night before the event just as much as the time at the track. I understand as much as anyone that times are tuff but after all we always find the time and money to do the things we love !!! I hope we have a good turn out this year and am looking forward to seeing everyone. Thanks Jerry

#25 jnjdragracing

jnjdragracing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationWest Columbia S.C. 29170

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:24 PM

Warren,
I will be at this years event as a participant this year if all goes as planned. I also wanted to let you know that at the past events I have enjoyed the night before the event just as much as the time at the track. I understand as much as anyone that times are tuff but after all we always find the time and money to do the things we love !!! I hope we have a good turn out this year and am looking forward to seeing everyone. Thanks Jerry

MR Silver Bullit, I was wondering if I can get about 6 car links and the break.... any charity would be Greatly appreciated.Jerry P.S. This year I promise I want use the starting fluid as bathroom deodorizer.Jerry
No Need To Go Through Life Scared......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users