HybridZ

R-200 Spline counts and mystery hlsd

blackwidow

Ok so I have been getting some info together for some drivetrain upgrades I am going to be doing into my recently purchased 73 240z. I have searched and this is what I have come up with as far as nissan diff centers to be swaped into an r-200

s15 short nose R-200 helical- 30 spline

cedric/gloria R-200 helical - 29 spline

240sx short nose R-200 open- 29 spline

280z & zx long nose r-200 open- 29 spline

z31t long nose r-200 lsd- 29 spline

n/a z32 short nose r-200 open- 29 spline

z32tt R-230 lsd- 30 spline

90-96 Q45 short nose r-200 lsd - 30 spline

89 R32 GT-R CLSD R-200 - 30 spline

r30 skyline longnose R-200- 29 spline

Now then if you will notice that from the info I have dug up the gloria r200 hlsd uses the same splines/size as the longnose r-200 out of a z. So this unit should be more of a direct swap with great nissan quality.

So my question is has anyone outside of this country ever seen one of these cars in the junker and can possibly confirm what is above.

Also if anyone can add to the list I will update it in this post for an easier search. Thanks

I will be looking at a diff swap in just a few weeks but I have a 240sx with an S15 helical. The thing is, the output shafts from usa 240sx will slip into the helical but they still won't work. If I remember right, when I installed the helical, it was a depth thing. So if you get a helical, get the right output shafts with it. They cost as much as the helical. I am thinking of using a R34 diff for the 4.30 gearing and using another S15 helical. I have a 4.60 in my sx and it is a bit too short for autox with 23 in tall tires. I run 275/35/15 Hoosiers. I want the same tires on my z but just a bit higher gear to reduce shifting. I am installing an SR in the z. By the way if anyone is going to try putting the 4.6 in, it is a royal pain.

So let me get this straight you say you have a s15 helical and the standard 29 spline 240sx shaft fit the helical. Is this correct?

If it is it goes against what I have in the first post. Are you for sure it is the standard helical that came from the s15?

So let me get this straight you say you have a s15 helical and the standard 29 spline 240sx shaft fit the helical. Is this correct?

If it is it goes against what I have in the first post. Are you for sure it is the standard helical that came from the s15?

That is what they sold it as.

If you got it from a dealer could you tell me which one?

I have read on other forums that this happens sometimes but it is the cedric/gloria helical diff that they are selling as the S15 one. We might could just start asking the supplier for cedric/gloria R-200 helical diffs if we could track down whoever the supplier is.

• 1 month later...

I just built a 4.3 CLSD in an ABS Q45 housing. What I found. 240SX R200 has a smaller pinnion bearing. R32 and Q45 have the same bearing. Bearings can be put on any pinion.

R32= 29 spline (says R32 on it and it was a CLSD and 4.3)

240SX= 29 spline but shorter shafts (out of my open diff car)

Q45= 30 spline larger shafts

This goes against the 30 spline R32 in first post. Don't know why or if they are all 29 but mine is.

Remember that just because the centers will go in, it doesn't mean the axles will work. Open diff short noses use shorter shafts and they are 3 groups of 2 or 5 bolt axles. Not much help on a Z. Are long nose R200 open shafts shorter? Don't know yet. If they are the longer type then an lsd would be easy, so I doubt it. I know more about SX's than Z's but I'm learning.

I've heard about certain models bottoming out etc. using original shafts, didn't know about the shortnose/longnose length difference. Not too many people putting short centers in long housings I guess. Do you know about how modern motorsports says to reverse the inner race to shorten the cvs a little so they will fit? I don't know if that partains to using short or longnose, the kits they sell don't specify a certain nose type.

• 4 weeks later...
Something to add to the mystery...

Apparently Z31 NA open diffs are 30 spline.

Found that out the hard way with the recent LSD group buy.

I think you mean Z32 NA.

As I also learned from the group buy fiasco:

Stock Z32 NA diffs are 29 spline VLSD. But the clutch LSD sold by NISMO for Z32 NA is 30 spline and comes with it's own companion 30 spline output shafts.

• 4 weeks later...

I know for a fact that S15 HLSDs have 30 spline shafts and that the 29 will not work. I have one sitting right here on my bench that I imported from Japan. I was just stupid enough to not import the shafts at the same time. DOH!

I will someday get to the yards and pull the Q45 shafts to see if they will fit since they are 30 spline. The Q has VLSD though and that means I will probably have to cut down one of the shafts.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...