HybridZ

R-200 Spline counts and mystery hlsd

blackwidow

The J30 is VLSD 29 spline. I use a center from the J30 in my Z31 now.

Did you do it yourself or did you have someone put it together for you?

How did you determine what shims/spacers to use and was your Z31 diff a late model one with the bigger ring bolts?

Are you using this diff in a 240-280z ? or a 300zx ?

Thanks

Did you do it yourself or did you have someone put it together for you?

I did the work myself. Also used the half-shafts from the VLSD that came in the 1988 Shiro.

How did you determine what shims/spacers to use and was your Z31 diff a late model one with the bigger ring bolts?
I used the fsm to find out what shims to use by doing the lash and tooth spacing adjustment. It is a diff off the 1988 300ZX with 3.7 ratio and I am pretty sure it has the larger bolts but not sure as I have about 5 of those laying about here.

Are you using this diff in a 240-280z ? or a 300zx ?
1984 Z31 50thAE.

I did the work myself. Also used the half-shafts from the VLSD that came in the 1988 Shiro.

I used the fsm to find out what shims to use by doing the lash and tooth spacing adjustment. It is a diff off the 1988 300ZX with 3.7 ratio and I am pretty sure it has the larger bolts but not sure as I have about 5 of those laying about here.

1984 Z31 50thAE.

Cool...I have had two built for me and used shortened shafts and z31 turbo cv joints on the outside and used the (I think stub axles) cv joints from the viscous diff. on the inside for my 240z turbo and now I found a 87 CLSD which I have literally been looking for...for ~20 years in the Junk Yards.

Do you mean you didn't use the z31t cv shafts? People were saying that you have to make sure the longer shaft goes on the correct side, but it seemed to me that it would have been best with two of the short ones. Otherwise did you use the same shaft length on both sides?

Umm. I used the Z31T viscous shafts. One is alot longer on the splines to reach the viscous unit inside.

• 3 weeks later...

I can say that the 90-96 Q45 30 spline carrier (part that the ring gear bolts to) bolts right into the long nose R200 case. I did it. I wanted the larger 30 spline input shafts, so I pulled my 88 300zx turbo diff apart and installed a 1990 Q45 carrier into it with my 300zx ring gear bolted to it. Plugged in the Q45 half shafts and all was well. I ended up not going that route because I would have needed different half shaft axles to be made AND the Q45 input shafts were only .9mm larger than the z31 input shafts. Not enough of a gain for me to continue on.

More details? This sounds like what needs to be done for the RB-Solieu GB of LSD's. 30 spline LSD center.

Unfortunately I don't have many more details, although not many more are needed. I have pictures sorta... But the Q45 carrier was bolted in and spun freely. I never set my lash, but that could have been done just like any other diff had I gone that far.

Here you see the long nose (88 turbo) diff on the right and the 1990 q45 diff on the left. Never mind the piss poor work station...

IMG_1600-1.jpg

Here you can see it bolted into the z31 long nose R200 case. All I did was switch the ring gear. Ok, actually you cant see it bolted in cause I took the picture before I actually bolted it BUT. It works, I promise.

IMG_1611.jpg

Here it is from the front...

IMG_1612.jpg

At this point, what I would need is the q45 mating flanges on the CV axles. Then I would have to have a custom center shaft made. WHY? Because the spline on the q45 axle is different than the z31 axle. Therefore the race's or whatever they are called (part that rests on the splines inside the CV joint) are not compatible between the two vehicles. Thus a center shaft with q45 spline on one side and z31 (or whatever the other side you have is) spline on the other. Also don't forget to make the axle the right length. I priced axles and they are typically about $200 a piece. Sometimes cheaper, sometimes more. At this point you can disassemble your BDO half shafts and hybrid them together to make the one you need.

Like I said. Lot of work to gain that extra .9mm of input shaft diameter.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I am currently doing a Q45 VLSD internals in my diff. right now im missing Q45 axles. I know a machine shop who machines axles for race cars and lots of stuff. so I'll end up taking my axles to them to cut and re-spline for the Z31 wheel stub.

I tried using my J30 VLSD axle stub in the Q45 and it's too small no avail. also the j30 and Q45 axle stubs. the Q45 is slightly taller.

I currently have VLSD carrier from a z32 NA installed in my R200 housing. I have the 5bolt stub axles installed but the shorter stub axle has to be shortened a little and a groove for the snap ring reground because it doesn't seat all the way because the carrier seats slight to the left inside the carrier with the spacers installed.

• 2 months later...

Im wondering if i should try a 240sx cusco diff the guy told me he has 5 bolt outputs and it doesnt have the VLSD sticker at 500 $ i starting to find its a good deal... needs to be 29 splines and from a non lsd car.

I'm interested by swapping my diff to, I would realy like to upgrade for an R32 LSD diff but I don't know what it's involved, I have the longnose right now. If I understand well, i can't keep my axle because they don't having the same spline pattern ? so what could I do to make this work ? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Ok, I really need some guidance here. I'm looking to upgrade my 280s differential to a short nose r200 and although there is a wealth of information on this site, there's no actual answers to my questions that I have found despite all the stickies.

My current options that I'm considering are a 6 bolt out put shaft r200 out of an r32 and a 5 bolt out of an r33 gtst. Now I figured out whats going on on the wheel side to make this work, but I still don't understand axle wise what i need to do? Buy 4 axles and send them out to have 2 custom shafts made to bolt in? Is their a different way? Is one differential easier to work with then the other?

Thanks for your time, I really didn't know where to go and after months of searching I was starting to give up.

Dave

• 3 years later...

bump for this old thread! 

Great info, I just picked up an S15 HLSD carrier Im planning to run in a longnose with custom axles, I dont have the S15 stubs with it but by the list it looks like either a Q45 or Z32 T stubs will work? 

s15 short nose R-200 helical- 30 spline 

z32tt R-230 lsd- 30 spline 
90-96 Q45 short nose r-200 lsd - 30 spline 

just want to see if anyone here knows any reason why I couldn't use the Q45/Z32TT in an S15 Helical? would make it a lot easier to source on this end and I could use the Q45/Z32 inner CVs as well which I can find in a day. thanks guys!