HybridZ

260Z 2+2 1974 Project +1000hp

Hello from Finland. I made a picture collection of my Z-project.
http://toni.dnsf.org - Starting a project
Body is now partly primered. I will paint the rest when rear metalwork is finished. I can´t do it when body is in rotissiere.

Now i´m working with suspension and drivetrain parts.

My plan: 2JZ engine singleturbo, manual transmission (Getrag/tremec?), coilover suspension (AZ Car?), big brakes,
R200 with quaife, 300ZX CV, 17 or 18" wide wheels, sparco seats, jaz tank.. and much more.

Off course everything is not decided yet. And it will take time and money. But i don´t want bolt anything rust or dirty to car. smile.gif

Edited by Toni L

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Toni,

Hey I'm amazed at how much work you've done on the car.

I wanted to ask tho, what is it that you used to clean off the car, with the pressure washer, was it just heated water, or some additive? It really looked like it took the paint and everything else off really well down to the bare metal. That really looked amazing. I have no idea how long it took, but you really did a nice job. Oh and your welds all look great too. nice job on the replacement rails.

Oh Can you tell a little more about which engine you're planning on putting in??

Keep up the good work!

Pharaoh

Car was cleaned in a company that makes cleaning services for industries.

In my case they used only hot water with very high pressure (3000 Bar / 43510 PSI). Different types of particles, such as sand, can be added too.

It´s not cheap, but great start to project.

My engine is only plan right now. Probably 2JZ-GTE from Toyota Aristo / Supra.

Wow! 45000+ PSI water? I guess that would work well to remove paint and about anything else like fingers and arms that got in the way. Very impressive. I wonder if there's a company that does that here in NM.

So, that rotisserie. Is that a homegrown unit, or something purchased, it looks a little custom. Without the drivetrain is the Z really light enough to support it's own weight for very long?

That's Quite a cage you're building in it, Are you planning any particular events in Fi? or just upping the OMG! factor. I am most impressed and in awe over your restoration prowess, but do we dare ask how much you're spending so far? Doing the work yourself, I'm sure has saved a lot, but also taken a lot of time.

good job :icon14:

Phar

Rotisserie is my own design. Made of 50x50x3 steel and 50mm cylinder rod.

Stripped body is not so heavy, 2 person can lift it to trailer (we tested that when we took body to wash).

With cage it´s about 60kg heavier. If my measurements are right, body is still straight,

but i will take it down from rotisserie, before I bolt anything else to body.

I wanted cage because 70´s car is not so safe, and power target is over 600hp. Of course chassis stiffening is important too.

It´s my first DIY cage and compromise of track and road use.

I haven´t count how much money spent so far.. pretty much. It´s my first real project car and I didn´t have many tools before this.. or experience.

I think time is not my problem. Money is, if I want build this car fast. Now I have to make little procurements in every month..

Everytime I look at what you've done, it just impresses the hell out of me. You might think about a few upgrades while you've got things apart. I was looking at your rear diff, and It looks like it might be an R180, You would need to do a little about changing the shafts, but you might think about a R200 VLS diff out of a Z32 twin turbo. Both can handle the power you're estimating, but the viscous limited slip would put that power to the road a little more evenly. Not to mention, you know it's better on ice. The half shafts would need to be changed, I'm sure there's tech on here about it. You've probably already considered this I'd bet.

Phar

Is that Diff in my pictures R180? I thought that´s R200, but i´m not sure.

Last days i´ve been working with hubs and planning front discs. Those hubs are Z31 -85 non turbo. Today bought longer bolts. Rear hubs should fit too with little modifications...

Some pics of hubs: http://toni.dnsf.org/260zrojekti/navat/

I have one pair Z31 turbo CV:s.. and today I bought Z31 diff, driveshaft, cv:s and flanges. Diff should be R200 longnose too? And CVs looks like same that i bought before.

Looks good to me. Yeah I don't know for certain, but I think all the 260's came with 180's. yours could be a R200, but We'd need a pict of the #'s on the casing to know for sure.

I know your new Z31 Diff is an R200, and should be LSD, because it's got the fins on the Diff-cover. that's usually a telltale sign. I didn't realize there was such a size difference on the Shaft/bearing diameters. between the S30 and Z31 Shafts. I am really thinking I might want to swap mine over too.

I have a Z31 NA parts car sitting in my yard under a tarp and that might be a really good upgrade, especially if I end up putting in the VQ35DE HR I'm looking at buying.

Could you please post more pictures on how you're doing your Diff/shafts/rotors swap? I'm really interrested in just what you'll have to modify, and what exactly will just bolt in place.

Thanks a bunch, and your project is looking really tops of the scale. Oh, I was going to ask what you're planning on coating the undercarriage with? I assume they use a lot of salt on the roads in finland? I had a wonderfultime when I visited Helsinki/Jyvaskyla/Petajavesi/Rovaniemi among other places. Though I was there in the summer when there was little ice.

Thanks

Phar

I can tell you more when it´s done. I just started to work with these parts.

Current plan with front hubs and rotors:

- 300ZX -85 NA hubs (5x114.3), wheel bearing same size as stock

- Longer wheel studs, i have these now

- Probably front rotors from Mercedes-Benz, there is some options 310-320mm diameter,

82mm height, 28-30mm thickness

- So brake rotor is going to place same way like newer Z31 models, on top.

- Some modifications to hubs, and have to be sure that centers rotor and wheel.

- Some good calipers (Brembo, Ap-racing or something else), and adapters

Rear hubs:

- 300ZX -85 NA also, same lenght as stock, different diameter

- Longer wheel studs again..

- If I can´t find correct bearings, bore strut housing 2mm bigger like someone did in Hybridz.

- Use Z31 flange and shafts

- Modify bearing spacer to bigger diameter

- I havent thought about calipers or rotors, later that. Have to notice handbrake.

I haven´t done anything or measured these things. It´s just a plan.

I will make front hubs first.

My first plan was using Z31 CVs with S30 original rear hubs and buy that Modern Motorsports flange/adaptor. Now I think I will use more Z31 stuff..

This car is coming to summer use only. So i´m not worry about salt in roads. :)

Today i was making more rust removal to these rusty stock parts, with citron oxide.

Looks good to me. Yeah I don't know for certain, but I think all the 260's came with 180's. yours could be a R200, but We'd need a pict of the #'s on the casing to know for sure.

I think that toni's diff is R200, because I have compared the pictures with it and also some 260z 2+2 came with R200. I'm not sure if everyone came, but the ones with manual transmission came with bigger diff.

BTW, Many finns have invaded hybridZ... :D

I think that toni's diff is R200, because I have compared the pictures with it and also some 260z 2+2 came with R200. I'm not sure if everyone came, but the ones with manual transmission came with bigger diff.

BTW, Many finns have invaded hybridZ... :D

In anycase, the new LSD diff he's got should be nice!

Toni,

Looks like those rotors will fit. Any luck on the bearing issue? What model Mercedes are those rotors for? Z31 rotors are too thin I guess? Some people use truck calipers in their swaps. Tho Brembo would be sweet. I wonder if the Z33 Brembo calipers are any good. (just trying to stick with the theme here you know?)

Phar

I´m not sure which diff I will put into car. It could be stock R200 with Quaife LSD.

What bearing issue do you mean? Fronts are same size as stock and I have new ones.

Those MB rotors are from: S280 95-98, S300 TD, S320 95-98, S420 93-98, S500 93-98, S600 93-98, S350 TD 93-96, 300 (W140) 92-93.

Cheap... but heavy.

I think I should fully assemble and test these brake parts before someone buys same set. :)

How big rotors they make for Z31?