HybridZ

260Z 2+2 1974 Project +1000hp

Great work so far, Great fabrication skills

From the looks of it your mounts are rather solid, are you expecting a lot of vibration through the car? I've been in cars with rather stiff poly mounts and theres a fair bit of shaking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hope you can help as I'm chasing some information if I can on how you have done the front struts as I'm about to start on the Tein conversion, did you cut the existing strut tube off leaving what looks like 25/50mm protruding out of the casting refer to your web site

Datsun 260Z 2+2 - 74 Projekit

image img_4357, then slip your new strut tube over the top refer to your image img_4359 and weld around the base refer page 13 image _MG_8169?

It appears you have done the rear differently by completely removing the old strut tube and have made a new one which looks like it is a press fit into the rear wheel bearing carrier then welded around the top refer page 12 images img_1292 and 1294?. Did you machine out the hole where the rear strut tube is located or leave as per factory?

Thanks for you time and help

Cheers

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Hope you can help as I'm chasing some information if I can on how you have done the front struts as I'm about to start on the Tein conversion, did you cut the existing strut tube off leaving what looks like 25/50mm protruding out of the casting refer to your web site

Datsun 260Z 2+2 - 74 Projekit

image img_4357, then slip your new strut tube over the top refer to your image img_4359 and weld around the base refer page 13 image _MG_8169?

It appears you have done the rear differently by completely removing the old strut tube and have made a new one which looks like it is a press fit into the rear wheel bearing carrier then welded around the top refer page 12 images img_1292 and 1294?. Did you machine out the hole where the rear strut tube is located or leave as per factory?

Thanks for you time and help

Cheers

Ian

Yes that rear wheel bearing carrier and strut hole is machined bigger. http://toni.dnsf.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=12268

New front tube is pressed over existing tube..

• 2 months later...

Sorry, Old links doesn´t work!

I could fix those if there is possibility to edit old messages?

Car is now painted as you can see (there is still some chrome parts which will be black).

http://toni.dnsf.org/gallery3/index.php/OMG_5464-1

http://toni.dnsf.org/gallery3/index.php/OMG_5388-1

Engine is disassembled and getting some new parts: CP-pistons 86.5mm, Eagle rods, Acl race bearings and Arp studs.

Of course full gasket kit, new water and oilpump and much more.

Lots of new pictures: http://toni.dnsf.org/gallery3/

I can tell you more when it´s done. I just started to work with these parts.

Current plan with front hubs and rotors:

- 300ZX -85 NA hubs (5x114.3), wheel bearing same size as stock

- Longer wheel studs, i have these now

- Probably front rotors from Mercedes-Benz, there is some options 310-320mm diameter,

82mm height, 28-30mm thickness

- So brake rotor is going to place same way like newer Z31 models, on top.

- Some modifications to hubs, and have to be sure that centers rotor and wheel.

- Some good calipers (Brembo, Ap-racing or something else), and adapters

Rear hubs:

- 300ZX -85 NA also, same lenght as stock, different diameter

- Longer wheel studs again..

- If I can´t find correct bearings, bore strut housing 2mm bigger like someone did in Hybridz.

- Use Z31 flange and shafts

- Modify bearing spacer to bigger diameter

- I havent thought about calipers or rotors, later that. Have to notice handbrake.

I haven´t done anything or measured these things. It´s just a plan.

I will make front hubs first.

My first plan was using Z31 CVs with S30 original rear hubs and buy that Modern Motorsports flange/adaptor. Now I think I will use more Z31 stuff..

This car is coming to summer use only. So i´m not worry about salt in roads. :)

Today i was making more rust removal to these rusty stock parts, with citron oxide.

Hi great job by the way,

With fitting the Z31 rear hubs into the 260Z bearing housings you said that housing needed to be machined for the new larger outer bearing (SKF 6207-2RS1) but what did you do for the inner bearing? as your photo gallery shows a picture of the outer bearing close up but no close up of the inner bearing and part number would you be able to share that infomation for the inner bearing please? as this is the path I want to go down.

Thanks for you help

Cheers

Ian

Hi great job by the way,

With fitting the Z31 rear hubs into the 260Z bearing housings you said that housing needed to be machined for the new larger outer bearing (SKF 6207-2RS1) but what did you do for the inner bearing? as your photo gallery shows a picture of the outer bearing close up but no close up of the inner bearing and part number would you be able to share that infomation for the inner bearing please? as this is the path I want to go down.

Thanks for you help

Cheers

Ian

Inner housing is bored to same bigger size 72mm, when it´s possible to fit 6306 type bearing (ID = 30mm,OD = 72mm,T = 19mm). With those Z31 rear hubs.

Inner housing is bored to same bigger size 72mm, when it´s possible to fit 6306 type bearing (ID = 30mm,OD = 72mm,T = 19mm). With those Z31 rear hubs.

Thanks for the help,

I've just ordered those bearings should have them by this afternoon then off to the machine shop to get my rear housing machined :D