HybridZ

L6 or 280zxt motor into a 300zx Turbo

JSM

I searched this way and that, but didn't find anyone who put an L6 into a 300zx. I've seen the L6 post into the 240sx, but was wondering why not into a 300zx.

I'm looking at a 300zx turbo w/ a blown motor and was curious if you could go V6 to L6?

Could the stock 300zx wiring and electronics be used to run the L6? Issues w/ firing order? Fitment?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Physically, I don't see why not. There is an RB Z-31 running around that is stupid quick.

Regarding the firing order, the EFI wont care what the firing order is. The old EFI is batch fire, i.e. all the injectors open and close at the exact same time.

Thanks guys. I've not seen this reverse swap. I'm checking out the car tomorrow. I'm hoping it is at least a real 87 Turbo for the rear end alone.

It's started out as $1500 car w/ a blown motor and now down to $500, will see.

Z1 Motorsports, in the Atlanta area had, a 300zx with an L6 installed. It was a customer's car and it had been stored there for some time. It was a full caged, race car that I was told, had come from Canada. It was a very interesting car and may have been a stroker due to the high, fast reving sound of it. Too bad I didn't get some pictures.

Interestingly enough I had actually been thinking about this idea not long ago. I probably wouldn't do it, but I was figuring. I love the L28ET, it's so accessible, the Z31 body sits a little wider, has a better suspension setup, lower CD and doesn't weigh too much more than an S130. The only thing I wonder, would there be much difference in say the L28ET vs. the VG30ET. I've only had experience with my L28ET with the auto and 3.5 rear, so I'm not really sure what kind of a difference it would be with a 3.7 rear and the 5-speed. I bet it's definitely quicker.