HybridZ

Air Chamber & AAC valve Removal?

Mike Rowe

I am no mechanic also but if you remove the ACC won't your idle hunt for a speed while cold. I would think it would surge up and down till fully warm.

Might not even idle fast enough when cold...unless you have some way to manually open it. I forget which is which, but there is a valve just for the A/C, and one just for the idle. The A/C one you can probably do without (obviously if you don't have A/C). Are you using a stock ECU?

Other solution is to use one of the coil type Auxilary valves for warmup. It just lets more air in for a while till the coil heats up and shuts it (apply 12v at startup). That's a common solution for cold starts on megasquirt cars that don't want to deal with an idle valve. (like any of these: http://www.carpartswholesale.com/parts/nissan/nx/auxiliary_air_valve.html )

Mark

I removed my AAC on my RB20 with no problems at all! Starts up and idles fine....but then I dont drive the Z when its really cold....by Ontario standards.

Hi Jerry thanks for your feedback. Under the collector assembley on the RB26 is an air chamber with the AAC valve attached to that - did you just remove the valve or the whole air chamber and hoses hanging off it?

regards

Might not even idle fast enough when cold...unless you have some way to manually open it. I forget which is which, but there is a valve just for the A/C, and one just for the idle. The A/C one you can probably do without (obviously if you don't have A/C). Are you using a stock ECU?

Hi Mark thanks for your comments. I am going to use A/C so do I have to have it for that? I have the stock ECU but also have bought an Apexi Dejetro which I will use after I get it started for the first time - or should I just start with the Apexi?

regards

I really dont' know much. All i know is there is a separate air valve specifically for when the A/C is turned on so the engine doesn't stall or bog. Also provides a few more revs for the A/C to work more efficiently.

Alternatively, you could just set the idle a little on the high side anyways (800-900rpm).

Mark

I have an RB25det, and I removed the idle air controller and put a block off plate where it used to be. I am even using the stock ecu. Im not sure about the air chamber you are talking about, is it some sort of a balancer on the RB26 due to the ITB set up or what ? I am in the same boat as Jerry, my car runs great with no idle air controller even with a 90mm TB. My idle is slightly high (around 950) or so . .

Any how I think you should be able to remove it, if you have all the stock hardware though it can't hut to leave it on either.

Mike, the air chamber is what supplies air to the balance tube above the throttles. It has a mian tube that pulls from the plenum, and two tubes that run up into the balance tube. In addition to that, it also "sees" manifold vacuum and has a couple of nice 6mm hose outlets for gauges, etc. Removing it would mean having to find another way to get air behind the throttle plates. Additionally, the AAC valve makes for an idle-up solenoid for AC or cold-engine fast-idle. The screw that's in it is for idle speed. What you don't want to do is use the throttle stop and crack the throttles open more to bring the idle up.

Matt

What do the two hard pipes that are connected to the ACC and are routed to the rear of the manifold and face up? I can't find what they are connected to in my 32 manuel. The other vacuum lines connect to the manifold and air chamber but these 2 are loners and are not connected to anything I can see.

Thanks,

James

LOL...Ontario standards! I live in Texas so anything below 60 degrees is bone chilling to me. If I can remove all the not needed parts before dropping the motor in without any side effects would be nice.

wow, torturing you folk must be easy. come work in a produce freezer during a january winter. :icon14:

:D

my house's rad-heater just stopped igniting and the house is 16.2 C right now. It's friggen freezing in here!

Mike, the air chamber is what supplies air to the balance tube above the throttles. It has a mian tube that pulls from the plenum, and two tubes that run up into the balance tube. In addition to that, it also "sees" manifold vacuum and has a couple of nice 6mm hose outlets for gauges, etc. Removing it would mean having to find another way to get air behind the throttle plates. Additionally, the AAC valve makes for an idle-up solenoid for AC or cold-engine fast-idle. The screw that's in it is for idle speed. What you don't want to do is use the throttle stop and crack the throttles open more to bring the idle up.

Matt

Thanks very much Matt for explaining all that. I need to run a line for my Turbo gauge, would one of these 6mm hose outlets be appropriate for the gauge?

regards