HybridZ

16-Gauge strong enough for oil cooler mounts?

Armand

Hey guys,

I'm currently installing a 2nd generation RX-7 Oil Cooler on my 240z. I already made the brackets and waiting the paint to dry(ya ya, kind of too late to ask) but had a quick question. I've never taken any classes for anything fabrication/auto related, but I've just learned through reading books and the internet.

Now I already fabbed up some simple 'L' brackets that attach to the radiator support. I used 16-gauge sheet metal for the brackets, and 8.8 grade hardware. My question for you guys is if 16-gauge steel would be strong enough for a pretty light oil cooler.

Thanks in advance,

-Armand

Well it's all mounted up. It's pretty solid but I can move the oil cooler a bit with a bit of force. There is no way it's going anywhere but I'd like to see how solid it is with everything warmed up.

only problem I could see if it moves much then when the metal gets hotter it will flex more might even get weak and break but its just an oil cooler you know.

The shape of the brackets have way more effect on its strength then does the thickness. If it holds now, it will hold at 200 degrees. The only thing you have to worry about is fatigue. If its mounted in such a way that will allow it to vibrate, it could eventually form cracks, which will propagate until you have a total failure.

all that said... 16 gauge is probably good enough, but I'd need to see pictures to give a better answer than that.

• 5 weeks later...
i'd be interested in seeing the oilcooler setup. I hope you remembered that rx7 oil cooler thermostats are one way, so you can't mount it backwards or upside down- or it won't function

I'm leaving town in a few hours till next weekend. When I come back I'll take some pics for sure. Thanks for that, I thought that there is no specific inlet/outlet. Im pretty sure it's connected correctly but I'll take some pics for you guys to check it out.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are those pics of my oil cooler. The line on the bottom is the inlet and the line on the top is going out. My mounts are nice and solid too, after 500 miles they are working just fine and are plenty strong.

Auxilary, is the inlet/outlet correct? There are no signs on the oil cooler itself that shows which hole is the inlet/outlet.

Muffler-OilCoolerPics002.jpg

Muffler-OilCoolerPics003.jpg

Muffler-OilCoolerPics004.jpg

Muffler-OilCoolerPics007.jpg