HybridZ

non resistor spark plugs

softopz

i read this somewhere about the 7 and 8 series ngks are non resistant to noise? does this sound right

i got a set of ngk BPR6EGP

the engine is l28et i looked at the auto store under 280zx turbo and thats what they had recommended what do you guys think are a good set with ms2

how about wires i got a set of ngk blue 8mm

Thanks Naviathan, I never knew that about.

The reason im asking is I have been around these cars for quite some time, and I never seen the 7 or 8 series at the auto store. They first came to my attention in sticky concerning noise supression and the common resets. However in that thread they only say 8 or 7 series I could not find the actual part #. Ill have to guess that 6 , 7 or 8 is the length in mm of the tip?

• 2 weeks later...

For most all street use, a BPR6ES (projected tip), or BR6ES (non projected tip), is all you need for the street. Always use resistors plugs, especially if you have varying plug wire lengths. 7s or 8s should only be use in race engines where extreme cylinder pressures and temperatures are reached. The electrode will actually get hot enough that cylinder pressures will move it around. Running 7 sor 8s on a street engine will most likely cause fouling at low speeds and idling. Just run 6s unless you are building a race motor.

From all the reading I've done on this site it appears that a lot of the turbo guys are running BPR7ES in their street cars. Because of this I decided to do the same in my motor. I'm only running stock boost right now while I sort everything out after getting my head rebuilt and installing an intercooler, but I will be bumping it up in the next week or so to around 12-14psi.

I thought running a slightly colder plug added a bit of detonation resistance, which was my main reason for switching. Is this not correct? or did I misinterpret something?

I thought running a slightly colder plug added a bit of detonation resistance, which was my main reason for switching. Is this not correct? or did I misinterpret something?

This is my understanding as well. I run BPR7ES plugs on the street daily so that I can keep my timing advanced running 12 psi without an intercooler, even when ambient temps are 110+ in the summer. I have no problem with rough idle or fouling. Next track day I go to I'll throw BPR8ES plugs in to ward off any detonation that could be caused by the prolonged flogging.

I learned so much from this thread I had never known with spark plugs,,, I think Ill keep my 6 or switch to 7s. The reason I originally asked is Im having big issues with my car it doesnt want to seem to run new ms2 install and everyone I talked it to says with what your giving me it should RUN!