HybridZ

300zx LS1 conversion

Guest gmprojectz

Do you know what the weight difference is compared to the LS1? I've read that the LT1 is roughly 60 lbs heavier but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Also, were you running stock cam/heads in your dyno vid? Is your turbo manifold custom? The LS1 seems like a great turbo motor!

I think that's about right... 60lbs. Yes, it was a bone stock engine (135k long block, bone stock). Surprisingly it made a good chunk of power in stock trim without the turbo. I would post the numbers but I can't find the Dyno Sheet to back it up. I built the turbo setup with a set of block hugger headers and some stainless J-bends. Look in my build thread.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

60Lbs is just about right. The big difference is the iron block. Also, there's a bit more vacuum sensors and random computer crap on the LT1s. LS1s are a bit more simple. In addition, the stock LS1 intake manifold is quite light (being simple and made out of composite plastics) compared to the LT1s aluminum plenum setup.

I understand where your coming from with the vacuum valves and such but you can strip all that off without a problem. I disagree with the LS1 being more simple though, although it may be more reliable... lol.

Example: In terms of wiring the LS1 has far more electrical connections that could create a problem, 7 more coils to go bad, crank position sensor, cam position sensor... etc.

But we are comparing two completely different engines here. No doubt the LS1 has more potential in stock trim but when you take in consideration most people are looking for a solid platform/foundation to build from and if the aftermarket is there for both engines which it is, you are right back at making a personal preference decision. Because we all know it's the combination of parts and TLC that goes into building an engine that makes it fast. Both the LS1 and LT1 are great engines!

The LT1 is like the son that never got any attention or handouts and has had to prove itself along the way. Dart is in the process of making a new big cube block for the LT1 that will probably catch the LSx with its pants down... 6-8 weeks.

Anyways I'm not trying to be difficult it's just my 2 cents.

I think that's about right... 60lbs. Yes, it was a bone stock engine (135k long block, bone stock). Surprisingly it made a good chunk of power in stock trim without the turbo. I would post the numbers but I can't find the Dyno Sheet to back it up. I built the turbo setup with a set of block hugger headers and some stainless J-bends. Look in my build thread.

It's hard to see where your J-bends mount to the headers - do you have any pics of them removed from the motor? I really like the down pipe side-exit setup... :cheers:

Sorry no pictures of them out of the car... when I take them off to heat wrap them I'll take some pictures. They are actually welded to the headers now due to limited space with the routing I chose. They slide right in too!

Yea the exhaust was a spur of the moment thing and it actually sounds pretty good. Although I still need to get it back on the road from some minor changes in my setup (pictures to follow of course).

• 2 years later...

^^^ Exactly. Technically, you'd still be able to bolt a standard T56 to the Vette LSx, but the Vette's version of the T56 has a completely different input shaft since there's a torque tube the runs from the engine to the transmission. (Like a long driveshaft)

The site worded it wrong. It's not the LS1 from the vette it won't work for, it's the vette's trans. You can bolt a F-Body T56 to a corvette LS1.

The real differences between the Vette LS1 and the rest is the pullie setup. The Vette's pullies are arranged differently and are actually closer to the motor. They did this because of the space restrictions. However, in the case of our swaps, the F-Body/GTO pullie setup is better for us because the Vette's alternator location would cause a problem for closing the hood.

Not trying to bring a thread back from the dead.......but , what are the odds of adapting a stock Z32 5 speed to an LT1? Besides fabricating an adapter,redrilling the flywheel, using a stage 3 clutch for a NA?

• 1 year later...

Not trying to bring a thread back from the dead.......but , what are the odds of adapting a stock Z32 5 speed to an LT1? Besides fabricating an adapter,redrilling the flywheel, using a stage 3 clutch for a NA?

From what I've seen of the stock Z32 5 speeds I don't think that would be a good idea. Not sure they would hold up to the torque of a V8, even a little one.  I'm considering doing the LS swap too, I'm not really wanting to go manual and right now I'm looking at using and the 4L80E.  I want the overdrive and I want a tranny that will hold up to a boosted 6.0L.  Not sure the tranny tunnel will allow the big automatic.  May have to "massage" the tunnel to work.

Edited by Belvedere