HybridZ

280Z restoration

Hello,

I'm new on this forum, It's a nice one, there are much items you can use for your own car.

I am restaurating a 280Z. It must be look a like a old Z with flares etc. I'm customizing the wheel arms etc, new floor pans, sills, front rails etc.

Take a look at my pictures.

Look for pictures at:

http://picasaweb.google.nl/ZZXCLUBHOLLAND/ZRestauratieWoutVanAken#

DSC00134_thumb.JPG

Van Aken,

I salute you, sir. That is an incredible amount of work you're doing there. Does your government force the owners of extremely rusty cars to remove them from the road, like in Germany? If so, save all your pictures to show to your "T.U.V.", or whatever they call it in Holland. They may want to see all the repairs you're making.

Let me know if Holland allows people to drive rusted out cars until they literally fall apart, like the U.S. does, or if you guys have a yearly inspection program which includes a structural inspection. I think we would all like to know.

Hello all, sorry for my bad english...

Yes i know there are not enough threads, i'm looking for longer steering ends. May be from a 280- or 300ZX?

In Holland are other rules for oldtimers. All cars older than 3 years must be inspected every year but since this year oldtimers must be inspected every 2 years.

Oldtimers are all the cars older than 25 years. In Holland you don't need to pay taxes for oldtimers.

For the inspection there are rules to, the car is inspected on all technical details like suspension, shocks, ball-joints, brakes, emissions etc. The body to, there are rules for body rust, small holes are oké but when the are to big it's not good. There are diffirents between body parts at the outside and important bodyparts like wheelmounting points.

At all, you can drive an old car in Holland without problems, it only need to be a safe car. I daily drive a Datsun Cherry from 1974.

Best regards, Wout van Aken.

Hello Wout,

I just saw a picture of a 1974 Cherry 4-door on some Datsun history website. Interesting looking car, with design elements from other early '70s Datsuns and Hondas.

There's also a Cherry restoration on some British website. It's a 2-door, British racing green, and there are lots of in-progress pictures. Sorry, I lost the web address, but if you Google 1974 Datsun Cherry, it comes up on the first page.

My family owned a 1974 B210 2-door hatchback for many years. Soon after we bought it, we transplanted a 1980 210 engine and 5-speed transmission into it. The car ran MUCH better with the bigger engine and overdrive trans., but it was still a pretty awful little car, HA HA! It buzzed and rattled and droned horribly, and it had the typical Datsun "singing differential". In fact, my youngest sister was out of town in the B210 (100 miles away) visiting her girlfriend, and the differential ring gear broke about 5 teeth off! I had to go get her, and move the car out of the parking lot where it broke. And it was already night when she called for help. Ah, memories :rolleyesg

Jeff

• 2 months later...