HybridZ

z32 Tranny Swap - How to retain your mechanical speedo

ktm

A few of us have swapped the Z32 tranny in our S30s and we have all encountered the problem of retaining our mechanical speedometers. The Z32 tranny utilizes an electronic speed sensor.

Over in the RB forum, some one posted a possible solution for the RB25 gearbox. This got myself and Proxlamus (Ryan) pursuing possible solutions based on the discussions contained in the thread (http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=136439).

I am not going to regurgitate the entire thread, needless to say Ryan stumbled upon the correct speedometer assembly from a D21 hardbody truck. I say correct assembly because there are quite a few choices to select from. A picture of the speedometer pinion assembly with the part number is below.

DSC07260.JPG

I tried other parts as well with no success. They were both too short and the diameter of the pinion assembly was just a bit too small. The assembly in the photo above is a perfect fit in length and diameter. I installed it yesterday and took it out for a drive today. Needless to say I am excited to have a speedo again! :)

The speedometer is approximately 5ish mph too fast at 75 mph since the pinion is not setup for my 3.70 LSD differential. However, I am not going to complain at all and am thankful I can utilize my stock speedometer. I like the period look of the gauges and of my LED lighting modifications.

• 4 weeks later...

Ryan, if you look at the pinion you will see that there is an 1/8-in. (?) wide slot. I simply inserted the pinion until the bottom of the slot was flush with the tranny and I cut a thick washer to fit so that the washer hole was over the bolt hole while sliding it up into the pinion slot. You can see the slot in the picture above, it is to the left of the o-ring at the very edge of the pinion body.