HybridZ

Project Turbo LS1

Hey guys, So I recently decided to go with a turbo instead of going with the Heads / Cam / Intake / TB package, or NOS route. I'm going to be building my own manifolds, and piping, and everything else. I've pretty much got everything I need, just need to get crackin on it when time lets me. I'll be updating with pics of everything along the way, thought I would share. My goal is to gain at least another 100hp, and spend as little money as possible. Here's what I've got so far.

For manifolds I've decided to build some Log manifolds. Due to basic design, cost of materials, and simplicity I was able to finish both manifolds for roughly 200$ They should do the trick. Took a couple hours to build both.

DSCN1306.JPG

DSCN1307.JPG

DSCN1344.JPG

I've already picked up a wastegate, ( same wastegate that dustin280zx is using in the Gen 1 / 2 V8 threads. ) And for Blow off valves I'm going to be using 2 factory blow off valves from an early 90's Mitsubishi Eclipse.

DSCN1326.JPG

I ordered all my Oil line fittings from Summit and picked up a few from Home Depot, Never knew how cheap buying AN fittings could be. I was able to find a few of these fittings for less then 5$ pretty sweet. I also got an Ebay intercooler. Which should fit, and perform well.

DSCN1346.JPG

DSCN1347.JPG

And for the best part of it all, the turbo... I ordered a GT45 Ebay turbo. Knock it all you want, but the price was soo cheap that I figured it was worth a shot! After all, its got a divided T4 flange so if it ends up breaking, I have plenty of options for a replacement. price was 330$ shipped. The shaft spins perfectly fine, and continues to spin when you let go. Zero in / out shaft play. Normal, minimal side / side play. I can't wait to run this thing!

DSCN1328.JPG

DSCN1329.JPG

DSCN1331.JPG

DSCN1332.JPG

So thats all I've got for now as far as pics go. My Z is up on jack stands, all the N/A stuff removed just waiting for this weekend. Like I said, I'll be updating with pics and info along the way. Enjoy!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice sir, I enjoyed looking at your build before but damn! $330 shipped is a smokin deal, why not run two? I am a pipefitter and can appreciate your work but why not invert truck manifolds? I'm lurking right now in and out til I feel comfortable with a direction for the project and this is very close to what I have scketched around so keep us posted and good luck!

Joker, Thanks bro! I Just decided to build my own so I know it's going to fit how I want it to. It also makes me feel pretty good about myself when someone asks. Where did you buy the manifolds from? and I can say.. "Ya, I built those myself." :)

Reef, China / EBay turbos are just non name brand stuff that basically came from China mass produced and is sold for dirty cheap. This turbo IS huge, pictures don't do justice. I'll probably make more then 100 hp for sure, But my goal is to get in the 500's, and keep it in there. I don't want the car to get out of control. Well, not too out of control :wink:

Hey I read your thread the other day about running 7.1 down at the stadium congrats, that is moving for that setup. Kinda funny though cause when I read aboutyour last runs at the stadium I was going to comment saying how badass your car would be with a single turbo setup. I actually got my z all tore apart in my garage right now doing a single blowthrough setup with an older airesearch t4. Where exactly do you live at in san diego, I'd like to meet up with you sometime and check out your stuff in person. And oh yea, your looking to gain a 100 hp hahaha man I think you should be able to tack on at least another 200 to 250 with low boost and a.safe tune.

James

What heads are you using with your set up?

I've got some 243's off of an 02 ZO6. Suppose to bump compression to 10.4:1. With that said, I'm going to be running pretty low boost.

Hey I read your thread the other day about running 7.1 down at the stadium congrats, that is moving for that setup. Kinda funny though cause when I read aboutyour last runs at the stadium I was going to comment saying how badass your car would be with a single turbo setup. I actually got my z all tore apart in my garage right now doing a single blowthrough setup with an older airesearch t4. Where exactly do you live at in san diego, I'd like to meet up with you sometime and check out your stuff in person. And oh yea, your looking to gain a 100 hp hahaha man I think you should be able to tack on at least another 200 to 250 with low boost and a.safe tune.

James

Woah!! I had no idea that there was / would be another turbo V8 Z in San Diego, thats awesome! I'm right off Mira Mar rd. in Scripps Ranch. Got some link or pics to your project? This rain is killin me! I'm hoping it will let up before this weekend so I can knock out a bunch of work. I figure if I run the boost low enough that I can keep the power maintainable. Or at least I hope so! (crosses fingers)

That setup should work very nicely...

what are you going to use for engine management, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, etc?

I'm getting some 60# injectors and am going to be running some duel Walbro 255's. For the time being, I'm gonna run the stock Vette regulator / filter. Eventually I'm going to swap to custom fuel rails with a boost (whatever you call it) regulator. For management I'm using HP tuners, Starting off with blow through MAF, and will eventually swap to 2 bar Speed Density.

Loving what your doing so far, that motor is going to be a monster. Where did you get the pipe sections for your manifold? That is a trick way of doing it for cheap, and should work as well as any factory manifolds out there.

Im curious to see how the car preforms and especially the turbo, might have one in my future if it works well. I didnt have a good experience with my name brand turbo on my L28, might as well have been "china junk"

Keep the pictures coming!

Loving what your doing so far, that motor is going to be a monster. Where did you get the pipe sections for your manifold? That is a trick way of doing it for cheap, and should work as well as any factory manifolds out there.

Im curious to see how the car preforms and especially the turbo, might have one in my future if it works well. I didnt have a good experience with my name brand turbo on my L28, might as well have been "china junk"

Keep the pictures coming!

Thanks dude! I picked up the pieces from McMaster.com Its such a great site. Once you're in the site, in the search window on the left punch in, "stainless steel butt-weld pipe fittings" and it lets you choose from Elbows, Caps, T's, Couplings and Stub ends. You can get pieces in different sizes, different metals, different wall thickness, ect... I've built an equal length manifold for my old turbo Colt using pieces from that site in the past and its still holding up over a year later. More pics to come this weekend!

Very cool, once again I am a pipefitter so yall feel free to ask any Q's you want and youll get an honest professional opinion and I'm sure as hell not afraid to tell you "I dont know" would love to help! Nice beads too man. You never said why you didnt invert the truck manifolds? I know I saw that on ls1 tech. Thanks again...

Nice work, I like your set up , would you mind posting what thickness you used and the fittings on the site, is it 1'' pipe you used ? this is exciting and looks to be a great bang for the buck set up. I was thinking of doing 2 spal gt35r wanabees wich are not ballbearing but supposed to be decent but this set up would easily knock 1200 or more off the price. Thanks for any info!

Nice work!

If you are using a high-mounted alternator and no a/c, flipped truck manifolds would have worked. However, I understand having the skill to roll your own and do it at a reasonable price. Only concern, a minor one, is if you have enough room in those manifolds for the plug wires.

I am wrapping up a turbo LM4 (alum 5.3L) for a buddy and the engine has F-body accessories and the owner wanted the a/c. I ended up using a modded pass-side 6.0L manifold on the drivers-side and had a simple log manifold made for the pass-side to clear the a/c compressor. Would love to have put the turbo on the pass-side, but with the a/c compressor, water pump inlet, heater outlets, turbo, air filter and WG all crammed in that corner, I did it the way you see it. Using the same I/C.

This is for an FC RX7 vert with a T56. The engine has 317 heads, Z06 cam and "yellow" springs and ARP rod bolts, MPT T70/p-trim/.96 and Speeder will be doing a megasquirt to use the coil-near-plugs. Will be a mild street car, no drag racing.

HPIM0074_thumb.JPG

HPIM0156_thumb.JPG

HPIM0157_thumb.JPG

HPIM0158_thumb.JPG

Nice work!

If you are using a high-mounted alternator and no a/c, flipped truck manifolds would have worked. However, I understand having the skill to roll your own and do it at a reasonable price. Only concern, a minor one, is if you have enough room in those manifolds for the plug wires.

I am wrapping up a turbo LM4 (alum 5.3L) for a buddy and the engine has F-body accessories and the owner wanted the a/c. I ended up using a modded pass-side 6.0L manifold on the drivers-side and had a simple log manifold made for the pass-side to clear the a/c compressor. Would love to have put the turbo on the pass-side, but with the a/c compressor, water pump inlet, heater outlets, turbo, air filter and WG all crammed in that corner, I did it the way you see it. Using the same I/C.

This is for an FC RX7 vert with a T56. The engine has 317 heads, Z06 cam and "yellow" springs and ARP rod bolts, MPT T70/p-trim/.96 and Speeder will be doing a megasquirt to use the coil-near-plugs. Will be a mild street car, no drag racing.

Ya, those truck manifolds do look pretty nice! And the spark plug wire fitment did cross my mind, I was considering getting something like this: 41280.jpg Would possibly be small enough on the spark plug end to make it doable. And plan B was going to be getting "make your own" wire kit and run it all behind the manifolds and plug 'em in from under. Everything will be heat wrapped including the plug wires them selves. I guess I'll just have to cross that bridge when I get there. :) So how much longer till you get the car running?

As for the exact pieces I used... the 90* peice 45735K215 The T's 45735K255 and then the reducers on the ends of the manifolds I'm pretty sure I used these 45735K425 Once again these are all off of the site I provided earlier, "McMasterCar.com"

Rustorbust, As long as its dry out then I'll be working on it Sunday - Monday. This is also considering that my 2.5" 304 stainless U-bends / 45* bends come in on Friday.

I've got some 243's off of an 02 ZO6. Suppose to bump compression to 10.4:1. With that said, I'm going to be running pretty low boost.

243s on a stock ls1 will give you a compression of 10.6-10.75:1 depending on how far your pistons come out of the hole .006-.010. I see some others have said they are running 317 castings on their FI LS motors. I was going to recommend the same if your motor is not put together yet. You can make some money selling the ls6 243s and getting some truck 317s. That and the heads (317s) are the exact same the 243s but the 317s have a larger 72cc chamber vs the 243s 64cc so you can run more boost while lowering your compression by about 1 full piont. Making it 9.6-9.75:1. Also if your runnning a stock short block just slap in some arp rod bolts and you will have a stout stock boosted LS1 you could run 12psi on a setup like that with pump gas and make over 500 rwhp all day long.

Sorry if I'm stepping on anyones toes here. I've been around the LSx motor a bit and just recently inhereted a 240z and joined this forum. I have been around 240z's since I was a child because of my dad, but this is my first one. My dad has my old forged LS6 with ported 243s heads and cam in his 240z. anyhow I hope I could help a lil.

Also plug wires. I would really highly recommend a factory LSx wire off any of the gm vehicals. We had a guy just recently drive 4 hours to get his vette looked at. Hptuners tune was dead on. he would get a misfire under load. The poor guy had spent like $700 trying to find out the problem and get the car smogged in his home town. Anyhow I asked him what wires he was running and said some new MSD wires. We pulled the wires meter tested them and compared the results to a set of stock wire off my vette. We put my stock wires on and took the car for a drive and like magic the car ran like a champ.