HybridZ

Project Turbo LS1

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lines in the turbine housing just look like casting marks, not a big deal.

Cobrakilla, Those are some excellent suggestions!!! Thanks! I've already looked into getting some 317's from LS1 tech. They seem to go pretty cheap on there and are abundant. And thanks for the info on the stock plug wires. :wink: You're suggestions and help are much appreciated, so feel free to add anything, anytime.

Cobrakilla, Those are some excellent suggestions!!! Thanks! I've already looked into getting some 317's from LS1 tech. They seem to go pretty cheap on there and are abundant. And thanks for the info on the stock plug wires. :wink: You're suggestions and help are much appreciated, so feel free to add anything, anytime.

No prob anytime. ls1tech is a great source for info and parts.

Yeah the rod bolts are just cheap insurance for your boosted stock motor.

Another head to look for is one gm is soon to be releasing. I'm not sure what they will be calling them. I have the larger bore versions my self they are called L92/LS3 heads. mine are L92 and I have the matching L76 intake which came from gm parts dealer for like $550 and intake included fuel rail 39# injectors and 90mm throttle body! I believe the L92 heads were under $200 a piece bare too! any how look for the small bore l92 heads soon they have similar size chamber as the 317s but flow like a set of cnc'd head right out of the box.

Oh ya! I'm getting the rod bolts too while I've got the pan off for "bung welding" Good call. Thats pretty bad ass about those heads. but after all, this is all going in a Z. And anything upward of 450 at the wheels should be enough to satisfy anyones needs. I sure hope I'm satisfied after the turbo swap, cars are an expensive hobby. :wink:

couldnt tell from the pics.

Yeah a boosted ls motor in a 2400 car will be fun.

My motor makes 450 rwhp right N/A. Comp cams just released 27 new lsr cams. I'm looking to make 500 Rwhp and 470tq with one of those new cams. Any how I will watch this build. In the future I want to slap a Magnacharger tvs 2300 on top of my motor I would like 650 rwhp lol.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/1017087-comp-cams-new-lsr-series-cams-27-new-grinds.html

Does that turbo use a T6 flange? Also, does it have a 5" v-band output? I can see it is v-band, but just wondering the size. My turbo went to crap on me and to swap a new one easily it needs a T6 flange and 5" v-band.

BTW, those homemade turbo manifolds looke really good. Like Scottie said, spark plug wire clearance may be the only issue.

I'm running the SSAC 4 inch intercooler, 60mm wastegate, and tial knockoff blowoff. no problems yet. Making 750+ crank HP. wasn't brave enough to try the turbo :rolleyesg

check out the video on my signature

let us know how it goes.

I dare you to go to Freshalloy and post your first post over there pokey.gif

Does that turbo use a T6 flange? Also, does it have a 5" v-band output? I can see it is v-band, but just wondering the size. My turbo went to crap on me and to swap a new one easily it needs a T6 flange and 5" v-band.

BTW, those homemade turbo manifolds look really good. Like Scottie said, spark plug wire clearance may be the only issue.

The turbine is a T4 twin scroll flange. The outlet ID is 3.5" and O.D. (from outside of the Vband thing) is 4". I haven't really seen any china turbo's much bigger then this one. What are you running a T6 turbine flanged, turbo on? Pics!!! :) Thanks for the compliment on the manifolds! I actually spent a bit of time on them yesterday cutting the flanges off and welding in 3/4" tubing to space it out. Gave me a lot more clearance and should work out after all.

I dare you to go to Freshalloy and post your first post over there pokey.gif

What is freshalloy? Which 60mm wastegate are you running? I've never actually heard of anyone having problems with them, yet. Except for the plunger not sealing 100% They are a little bit more cheesy then a real tial, but for the price you cannot beat it. I've watched the video in your sig. many times already. I freakin love it! Car looks good man!

So I got a bit more work done to the car this weekend. I got my brace all finished. Its pretty beefy, but very ugly. As long as it works, right? Got the intercooler all mounted up. Also got the manifolds bolted into the motor. I finished up my collector, and got it connected to the driver side manifold. I'll post pics later. I am POOPED! Time for some Taco Bell.

http://WWW.freshalloy.com

and i was just joking. i got hammered for using the ebay stuff and "i would never make any power"

this is the wastegate not from this company though

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARS-MP-WG60-60MM-TURBO-ADJUSTABLE-WASTEGATE-FOR-BOOST_W0QQitemZ370118368591QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item370118368591&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

the blowoff is identical to the tial unit. never seen the hardware on the tial but the knockoff hardware is kinda cheesy

Most of my buddies said the same stuff. "That turbo is going to fall apart!" ect ect ect... I've heard it all. "Those compressor blades are glued on." Hah. Anyways... So heres some pics of what all I did. For starters, Heres a bunch of intercooler pics. Had to of been the easiest, fastest, and smoothest intercooler install I have ever done in my life.

DSCN1355.JPG

DSCN1357.JPG

DSCN1356.JPG

Heres the "modified" manifolds installed. Compared to the original ones I had, there is a bit more room between runners to get some spark plug wires on there.

DSCN1358.JPG

DSCN1359.JPG

I spent the rest of the weekend working on the support bracket(hideous, I know) , collector, and middle section of the manifold.

DSCN1360.JPG

DSCN1364.JPG

DSCN1365.JPG

DSCN1366.JPG

DSCN1368.JPG

DSCN1370.JPG

Oh yaaa, I forgot to mention. All the welding, and fab work is done by yours truly. And the welder I am currently using is a 200$ Harbor Freight, scratch-to-start tig. Works bitchin!

very nice ! this is fun to watch, I am just about ready to dive in to FI on my lsx ! I cant choose what turbo to get. I can get a new turbonetics on craigslist for 750.00$ I wana see what this does ! I love low budget builds! nice to see the good work. Im going to have to look into one of those harbor freight tigs!

Well, last night I got my pan pulled off. Brought it into work today and drilled me a nice big hole. Brought it over to a friends house who could weld me a bung on it after work, came home and installed the damn thing! pics!

DSCN1371.JPG

DSCN1372.JPG

DSCN1373.JPG

And for the pics you've all been waiting for! Its not bolted down or anything, nor is the manifold done, but this is where the turbo will be sitting for the most part.

DSCN1374.JPG

DSCN1375.JPG

DSCN1376.JPG

Enjoy!

My only concern (and i'm not an expert at all) would be the turbo heating your rad to about a jabillion degrees under load as that will be radiating a ton of heat. I like do really like that collector you made and the manifolds are very nice looking (the 3/4" extension made a HUGE difference).

As for the mount, pull it off, wire wheel it and paint it or have it powdercoated and it'll look just fine ;)

Looking good!

I do agree with the radiator issue though. You could switch radiators so you have the outlet on the other side that would fix the cooling hose issue (which isn't that big a deal since you could wrap it really well. They have cheap ~200 dollar aluminum radiators at Jegs you can weld onto and do whatever you want with.

Also I would highly recommend a fan shroud, you could custom make one to offset your electric fan to the right side and then put some heat shielding on the shroud around the turbo, that would kill two birds with one stone.

Heres my jegs radiator I made the shroud and stuff for, total cost with fan was around 260 buck I guess:

http://www.vq240z.com-a.googlepages.com/radiator

Keep the pictures coming!