HybridZ

Project Turbo LS1

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much about hptuners, but have you thought about running E85 on this setup?(if it is available in your area) That would be perfect for the LS1 compression and turbo. The down side is having enough fuel pump and injectors for it. I am running 150lb injectors so I can use E85 and dual walbro pumps.

I just put one of those blankets on my turbo. Bulky and ugly as sin but my coolant temps dropped almost 10* in street driving.

Another option for the radiator is a 24x19 dual pass with the inlet/outlet on the pass-side. That's what I put in the RX7. If you go that route I can sell you a Taurus fan that is modified to fit that radiator. Fits in the RX7, but want to try something else since it is a really tight fit up against the plumbing. RX7 has a shorter engine bay.

Guess I am not ready to jump on the E85 bandwagon yet since the meth injection is working so well.

I'm going to be ordering a turbo blanket for the car in the next couple weeks here. Every other exhaust piece is going to be wrapped as well. As long as the coolant temps stay down, and nothing melts then I'll just roll with what I've got. I am also going to be moving the fan to the front side of the radiator and use it as a pusher. (JUST looked up the fan part number and found out I've been using a pusher fan as a puller. :wink: ) If heat is still an issue then I'll be looking into a new radiator or something to keep things under control. There are only 2, E85 stations here in San Diego, and both are 20+ mile drives from my house. My intentions with the car is to make it a pump gas car, so I'll be sticking with the 91* Eventually I'm going to swap the Heads out for the 317 heads to lower the compression like Cobrakilla suggested.

Wow your making great progress, Nice work as well.

What kind of engine management do you plan on running and how dothe LSx's respond to boost?

Heat is probably going to be your biggest issue. The manifolds, turbo, and exhaust are going to generate lots of heat under the hood. Furthermore, your water, oil and exhaust gas temps are going to increase.

Since your still in the process of building it might be a good idea to start thinking about how your going to cool everything down. I would sugest adding some sort of fan shroud/ air ducting for the radiator, venting the engine bay (hood vents maybe) and an oil cooler.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Wow your making great progress, Nice work as well.

What kind of engine management do you plan on running and how dothe LSx's respond to boost?

Heat is probably going to be your biggest issue. The manifolds, turbo, and exhaust are going to generate lots of heat under the hood. Furthermore, your water, oil and exhaust gas temps are going to increase.

Since your still in the process of building it might be a good idea to start thinking about how your going to cool everything down. I would sugest adding some sort of fan shroud/ air ducting for the radiator, venting the engine bay (hood vents maybe) and an oil cooler.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Thanks! and thanks for the advice, I've had many a modified turbo car on the past. So I know what all the advantages / disadvantages are. As said earlier, I'm going to be running HP tuners to tune everything. I've seen a lot of turbo LS that do VERY well and make big power numbers. And I've seen others that just suck and make less power then I made NA. We'll see! ;)

There are only 2, E85 stations here in San Diego, and both are 20+ mile drives from my house.

Yeah, that is the problem. If there are stations close to you it is really nice, if not it is probably better to stick with pump gas so you aren't making big trips to wait in line at a couple pumps. For me there are 3 stations that are within a mile of my wommute to work so it is convenient.

Hey dave im probably getting ahead of the game but where do you plan on routing the downpipe?

I've got a couple idea's, but am not going to let the cat out of the bag juuust yet. :wink: Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to get my V band pieces in time before this week end either so I may not be able to start the down pipe until next weekend. Hummm.... Tonight I got my upper intercooler pipe all finished up. Got both Blow off Valve flanges welded onto it. As well as finished welding the fittings for the oil lines. My goal is to just start the car up this weekend with open turbine housing. Should be fun! I wanna make the Neighbors think that a jet is taking off on our street. :lol:

The Vband parts are all mild steel, I picked it all up from siliconintakes.com, Which is also the same place that I picked up the stainless bends to make the cross over pipes on the manifold. They've got quite a bit of DIY stuff, as well as others things too, and they're pricing is pretty decent. I picked up the BOV flanges from a shop I use to work at called RoadRaceEngineering, they've got a whole bunch of DIY parts as well.

You can get those blow off Valves off of any 90 - 94 mitsu eclipse, Eagle Talon, or plymouth laser turbo. I already had one in the garage from my old car, and picked up another for 30$. Much cheaper then going for a single bigger one.

Man tha thing is gonna be really slowwwww.......

I totally agree with you.... ;)

This rain is freakin killin me! But I squeezed in a little fabrication time last night while I could. I pretty much finished the manifold entirely, with the exception of the external wastegate. And I didn't get my final Vband pieces so I won't be able to make the down pipe this weekend either. Once the rain lets up I can finish up the both intercooler pipes. Wire in my pusher fan. And try to wrap up any other misc. pieces that need attention before I fire it up!

Heres a few pics of the cross over section of the manifold all finished up.

DSCN1412.JPG

DSCN1416.JPG

DSCN1418.JPG