HybridZ

Project Turbo LS1

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How come you didn't use V-band flanges on the manifold to crosspipe flanges?

I got the flanges extremely cheap, I am having second thoughts on it though due to having a gasket in there. If I would have used Vband I wouldn't have gaskets to worry about. I'm just gonna roll with it for now.

What are you gonna do with those 243's you're going to have laying around?

I'll be selling them for somewhere in the area of 500$ But I have no idea how far down the road that will be. But I'm going to run the car on the 243's for a while. Having the car inop sucks... :-( That, and I don't even have 317's in my possession yet.

I'll be selling them for somewhere in the area of 500$ But I have no idea how far down the road that will be. But I'm going to run the car on the 243's for a while. Having the car inop sucks... :-( That, and I don't even have 317's in my possession yet.

Well whenever you get around to selling them let me know and I'd be down to buy them.

Nice build. Make sure you take the top off the wastegate and put a lock nut on the diaphram shaft. It will be loose more than likely with the nut it comes with. Don't want anything bad to happen because of a 5 cent nut. But I haven't had any problems with that gate so far and it doesn't creep. There should be two springs in there already which is 17 pounds of boost. If you take the bigger diameter spring out (its 2 pounds) and leave the stiffest one in there it will get you 15 pounds. The extra spring that comes with is 8 pounds I think. Just in case you didn't know.

Nice build. Make sure you take the top off the wastegate and put a lock nut on the diaphram shaft. It will be loose more than likely with the nut it comes with. Don't want anything bad to happen because of a 5 cent nut. But I haven't had any problems with that gate so far and it doesn't creep. There should be two springs in there already which is 17 pounds of boost. If you take the bigger diameter spring out (its 2 pounds) and leave the stiffest one in there it will get you 15 pounds. The extra spring that comes with is 8 pounds I think. Just in case you didn't know.

Hey thanks dude! And thanks for the tips, I just popped open the gate and saw that its already got a lock washer under the nut, so I gave it a little snug to make sure its nice and tight. I'm a little relieved to know that the bigger spring will make it boost that low. I'll just use that, and put in a boost controller to go up from there. BTW, your car is awesome! And was my inspiration for going turbo. :wink:

Hey thanks dude! And thanks for the tips, I just popped open the gate and saw that its already got a lock washer under the nut, so I gave it a little snug to make sure its nice and tight. I'm a little relieved to know that the bigger spring will make it boost that low. I'll just use that, and put in a boost controller to go up from there. BTW, your car is awesome! And was my inspiration for going turbo. :wink:

I don't know if it will keep the boost that low (depending on where you have the gate). I just know when I added the spring it went from 15 to 17.

So after work today, I decided that working on cars for 9 hours wasn't enough. So I pulled out the 'ol chop saw and fired up the welder. I got all my intercooler pipes painted, and finished up my down pipe. All I've pretty much got left to do is get the external wastegate welded on the manifold, and reinstall everything. Run a few vacuum lines then its time to fire this baby up!!! This weekend for sure... Heres some pics of the goods.

DSCN1429.JPG

DSCN1428.JPG

DSCN1427.JPG

Sorry! No pics of the down pipe installed on the car. ;) I'll save those pics for later so the dying minds can sweat it out a little more. Haha

Okay I'll stop with the torture already, and post up my down pipe pics.

The turbine outlet is a 3.5" outlet, but since I want to run the exhaust OVER the cross member, I had to step it down to a 3"

DSCN1430.JPG

There is a small pocket right under the passenger side mount that is about 3.5" in diameter. This is where I ran my exhaust though. It was TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT fitting it, and its close to stuff, but everything will be wrapped, so I don't think it'll cause any problems.

DSCN1431.JPG

DSCN1432.JPG

right after the engine is where I'm going to step up the exhaust diameter to 3.5". For now, I'm just going to run open down pipe :)

If its that tight you might mant to consider a flex section right after the turbo or youll crack something

I meant tight as in, The exhaust welding / cuts had to be perfect in order for it to fit in the location I wanted it.

This just in.... The car runs!!! I finished up everything else I needed to to today in order to fire it up. Started first try and I ran it for aprox. 20 seconds. I'll giving it some of the finishing touches over the weekend that will make it somewhat drivable. Heres some of my final pics.

DSCN1434.JPG

DSCN1435.JPG

DSCN1436.JPG

DSCN1437.JPG

DSCN1438.JPG

DSCN1439.JPG

DSCN1440.JPG

Oh ya! I forgot... heres a video of the first start up.

Nice on that fit Colt, and I'm still amazed you tig'd that with a Harbor Freight machine! I'm totally ripping you off when I do mine and imitation is the highest form of praise sir, good luck on the tune. What wall thickness tubing are using on the hot side, I think I've missed it, thx.

with some creative working you can fit a CAI in there

coldairintake.jpg

Turbo's I'm used to that would be a big no no. You want nice even developed flow if at all possible. The sharp miter would disturb flow and may hurt turbo performance and / or life. Something to at least consider.

Cameron

Turbo's I'm used to that would be a big no no. You want nice even developed flow if at all possible. The sharp miter would disturb flow and may hurt turbo performance and / or life. Something to at least consider.

Cameron

what do you mean by sharp miter? thats a mandrel bent 90 cut at the 90 and it makes a very smooth transition. I guess I dont see how this will effect it. do you have any reading material for me I would love to see more about this so I can either remove it or leave it.

what do you mean by sharp miter? thats a mandrel bent 90 cut at the 90 and it makes a very smooth transition. I guess I dont see how this will effect it. do you have any reading material for me I would love to see more about this so I can either remove it or leave it.

The sharp cut you have right at the inlet to the turbo disturbs the flow. Turbo manufacturers have told us that they want nice even flow velocity going into the turbo. Target is something like a 1/2 a meter of straight length to develop uniform flow but since that's usually not feasible we have to rely on CFD (computer simulation) to find a good compromise ... or borrow from NASA :) Try with and without and see if you see any difference. If you dont see any difference the only thing may be a degradation in turbo life - cant hurt to test and see what you find. Internet search and you will find stuff on diesels using flow straighteners and claims of performance.

Cameron