HybridZ

Location for wideband O2?

Xnke

Currently I'm trying to figure out what the best location is to install a wideband 02 sensor on the exhaust header i have. it's a 3-2-1 type header, and I'm going to be running SU's.

DSCN1724.jpg

Yes, a wideband and SU's. I intend on actually tuning my SU's, instead of guessing. to do this, i need a wideband, just like the EFI guys out there. I found a bunch of them in the local Pull-a-Part, for 1$ each.

So, do I put the sensor in the #5 primary, 18" down, or in the collector? If i can put it in the collector, i could mount two sensor bungs and swap it back and forth, to get both carbs synced up right. If I put in in #5, I am monitoring the most detonation prone cylinder, but only will be monitoring the rear carb.

Suggestions?

Why not wire two sensors, one in either collector, and simply switch between the two electronically? This leaves you the option of getting a dual gauge in the future. FWIW most consider a pair of EGTs or a pair of narrowbands to be sufficient for tuning a pair of SUs.

Tuning SU's is not as simple as some think, and a wideband is pretty instrumental. I hate the thought of trying to do it with a narrowband...getting needles tapered right, and getting the springs and dampers set up right are a pain enough as it is.

Can the bosch LSU 4.2 sensor be installed right where the two groups of primaries come together, or does it need to be located somewhere else? Right now, I'm thinking one sensor in each group, as you suggested, Daeron.

You should be able to put it where the two collectors become one. It's not super critical. Just remember to point the sensor down slightly or you'll get condensation on the sensor and over time it will fail. I use a wideband to watch over my AFR, but keep in mind with carburetors your target AFR is not always the same number over the entire rpm band if you are tuning for best power. I'm going back to tuning old school and watching vacuum. The air fuel meter is more for reference and to give me and idea of whats going on during differenct conditions and throttle positions.

• 3 months later...

I have this on my to-do list in the future. I was going to monitor the two carbs separately. I only have one sensor and planned to swap between two bungs. Might not be necessary, but I'm anal. Kinda OT, but what kinda ratios are you shooting for?