HybridZ

fuel tank, lines and such

lowdown

I had a 280z tank to put into my 240Z but after i got it out of storage found its got a hole in it. Sooooooo should i waste my time to find another tank, or did i find a good excuse to get a fuel cell? Anyone know of flat style ones that would still fit under the car?

Also while i was under it I saw how small the factory lines are under the car. I picked up a MSD fuel pump, but am thinking I should go ahead of upgrading the fuel lines. Any suggestions, sizes, etc.

Can't you get something like that locally for less? It shouldn't be much different from steel brake line, as long as the diameter is sufficient.

Personally I would look into having your tank that you already have repaired. The fit is superior.

Where is the hole at? If it *happens* to be on the bottom, you might even want to consider cutting athat section of the tank out and welding in a sump (picture the bottom of an oilpan) to catch the last bit of your fuel and help avoid fuel starvation while cornering. It isn't a wicked-bad issue for a street driven car, but a racecar certainly has issues using the stock tank.

Never underestimate the beauty of a 16+ gallon fuel tank. Having the capacity hurts nothing; you can put 5 gallons of fuel in a 5 gallon cell or a 16 gallon tank. One tank will get you from West Palm Beach to Key West and back; one tank will run dry all the way down there, where gas has been $0.25/gallon more than here for the last 30 years.

Thinking of getting this to weld to the bottem of my factory tank instead of screwing around with my 280z tank. Weld up all the extra holes, exept the filler, sending unit, and one vent to go to the filler neck. Sound good or am I missing something? Also put in a tank sealer so i'll have years of trouble free service...

550-40757.jpg

KBS Coatings Gold Standard Gas Tank Sealer

Gold Standard Fuel Tank Sealer will stop rust and form a tough, fuel impervious coating while sealing small pinholes and weld seams. Your fuel will never touch the inside walls of your tank again

191-5300.gif

Be VERY CAREFUL if you decide to weld anything to your existing tank. I watched my buddy weld on a peanut tank for his bike that had been empty and laying around for weeks. He stuck a bead and caught the fireball right into his chest and spent the night in the hospital. I don't know if there is a reliable method for removing fumes from a tank, but make sure the thing is competely empty before you screw around.

In my humble opinion, I would stick with the original tank if at all possible. I didn't have the option with my car, but I couldn't afford the ATL/Fuel safe and now I'm further away from being legal if I take it to a track.

BTW, if you decide to go with a fuel cell, I would reccomend with stainless braided lines right out of the cell then into the straight line after the pump. On my fuel cell the sump pickups are close enough to the ground and exposed that I thought that stainless line would work better than regular rubber for protection :icon45: haha.... Not to mention the fact that whatever cell you get will probably already have a -8AN bung on it and stainless will simplify your plumbing.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bringing back such an old thread but does anyone have pics of a sump, like the one pictured above, installed on a Z tank? I'm trying to get as much info on doing that or just going to a cell. The car won't be a daily or anything so if he hangs down some I'm not too worried about it, just want to see what it may look like.

I had a 280z tank to put into my 240Z but after i got it out of storage found its got a hole in it. Sooooooo should i waste my time to find another tank, or did i find a good excuse to get a fuel cell? Anyone know of flat style ones that would still fit under the car?

Also while i was under it I saw how small the factory lines are under the car. I picked up a MSD fuel pump, but am thinking I should go ahead of upgrading the fuel lines. Any suggestions, sizes, etc.

I gave away a perfectly good early 280Z tank last week because it simply did not fit into my 240 as well as the original tank. Unless you are racing or want the small additional capacity of the 280Z, I would suggest you search for the threads on "surge tank", ATL black box ring, and 240sx fuel pump. There are as many takes on "surge tanks", as there are seeds in a Florida watermelon. The ATL black box is slick and clean, but requires a machined ring that can be purchased from one of this site's members. I've purchased a 240sx tank and will cut out the pump ring and mount the 24sz pump and gauge sensor in my 240. They all work. They all provide you with a quick and easier plumbing upgrade

g