HybridZ

Vq35hr??

Pharaohabq

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there, Yeah, If you're going to do this swap, do yourself a favor and READ all you can about it before you start looking for parts. The FSM is also a good start too as it details a lot of the systems required for the engine to run.

This includes the Cruise control system. because of the modular design of the engine systems, I'm sure you could bring the cruise system in, though it would require the Speedo system from a Z or G35 to be functioning, that is the 4 wheel speed sensors would need to be working..

don't let that discourage you though. I'm working on a design to put a notched wheel on my driveshaft that will provide pulses that the wheel sensor can read. I then extend and position the sensors to read the wheel, and the BCM and AC amp should show an approximately correct vehicle speed. With that, the cruise system should be cake, as from what I understand it's built into the ECU, since the throttles are drive by wire, it's just a matter of getting the systems the proper inputs and it should just work, tho likely you'll need a few more sensors.

Anyway, moving the engine and sensors from as complete a donor car as you can find is going to be best.

As for my project, I'm stalled looking for a engine hoist I can borrow, Wife says I don't get to buy one :( least not till I get some of my other projects done.

Phar

Oh n Smoothz, sure, next time you're in ABQ, send me a PM.

Phar

Oh n Smoothz, sure, next time you're in ABQ, send me a PM.

Will do! I will probably be there at least within the next 6 months. One way or another, I'll be driving to or from there. Would be cool if I could find a decent project car while there. We'll see...

• 2 months later...

Okay, New Update: I have found what's nearly the last major piece of my Engine. The Starter. I think I have all the major parts of my Swap. I also picked up a Spare 08 G35 ECU. (they're the same) and the G35BCU, tho it looks different. just in case I need to swap. Next I need to put the Engine and Tranny together and wrap it up so I can instal it in the Car. My project has moved slowly because I've got so much crap in my garage I can hardly move. I have a line on a couple Hoists I can use to move the engine about, so that will certainly help when I get there.

Phar

Okay, New Update: I have found what's nearly the last major piece of my Engine. The Starter. I think I have all the major parts of my Swap. I also picked up a Spare 08 G35 ECU. (they're the same) and the G35BCU, tho it looks different. just in case I need to swap. Next I need to put the Engine and Tranny together and wrap it up so I can instal it in the Car. My project has moved slowly because I've got so much crap in my garage I can hardly move. I have a line on a couple Hoists I can use to move the engine about, so that will certainly help when I get there.

Phar

Whats the BCU?

Sounds good, keep us updated :)

BCU? Is that the chassis (body) control unit?

Yes that's the Body Control Unit. BCU. It handles security and functions like the power windows auto closing and airbags and other various internal items. It talkes to the Key via the nats antenae. and to the ECU.

• 3 months later...

Oh, New board won't let my edit my own post. Anyway, Some of what I've done:

My HR engine was from an Automatic vehicle. the Harness I have is also for an Automatic, I dont know if I'll have an issue with this later on. We'll see. I may need to find a harness from a manual tranny car.

I've removed the Automatic timing wheel, and installed a used Manual Flywheel, and clutch from an HR vehicle.

I inspected the Conscentric clutch on my tranny, and though the manual says to replace it, I'm going take a chance and reuse the cylinder. if it leaks I'll have to replace parts, but I think it'll be okay.

I then have mounted my 6sp manual tranny to the HR engine, I don't see where the preed sensor is supposed to connect, but that could be part of the harness differences. I'll need to compare and maybe make a splice. Next I'll need to fashion the Tranny mount crossmember for the tranny. (might need to talk to austin-240Hoke about that part, his looks awesome. )

I'll be making my engine mounts a bit differently because I want to use the factory mounts/isolators. I'm also working on a front crossmember to put under the HR engine that the mounts may then bolt to. But I need to pull the L28 from the Z first for that.

On a separate note, I've decided to paint my Z35 kinda a candy apple red over gold. Should look real nice. we'll see tho. Black is also so tempting.

Phar

Oh, New board won't let my edit my own post. Anyway, Some of what I've done:

My HR engine was from an Automatic vehicle. the Harness I have is also for an Automatic, I dont know if I'll have an issue with this later on. We'll see. I may need to find a harness from a manual tranny car.

I've removed the Automatic timing wheel, and installed a used Manual Flywheel, and clutch from an HR vehicle.

I inspected the Conscentric clutch on my tranny, and though the manual says to replace it, I'm going take a chance and reuse the cylinder. if it leaks I'll have to replace parts, but I think it'll be okay.

I then have mounted my 6sp manual tranny to the HR engine, I don't see where the preed sensor is supposed to connect, but that could be part of the harness differences. I'll need to compare and maybe make a splice. Next I'll need to fashion the Tranny mount crossmember for the tranny. (might need to talk to austin-240Hoke about that part, his looks awesome. )

I'll be making my engine mounts a bit differently because I want to use the factory mounts/isolators. I'm also working on a front crossmember to put under the HR engine that the mounts may then bolt to. But I need to pull the L28 from the Z first for that.

On a separate note, I've decided to paint my Z35 kinda a candy apple red over gold. Should look real nice. we'll see tho. Black is also so tempting.

Phar

Sounds like its coming along!

I vote Black ;).

Sounds like its coming along!

I vote Black ;).

Says the guy w/ the Red Z31...

Yeah, Problem is Black in new mexico is very hot in the summer. I'v a ways out from paint right now unfortunately. but Getting the tranny together was a happy point.

Clutch installed

post-4150-12723950251834_thumb.jpg

Tranny installed

post-4150-12723950589577_thumb.jpg

Color I'm thinking...

post-4150-12723950894122_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

OKay, Little update. Haven't done much, recently, I've been working on the yard landscaping rather than the Z, but it's fun too. I found an other ECU/BCM/NATS w/Key for $50 bucks, couldn't pass that up, I'll sell the others on ebay or somewhere when I know I'm in good shape.

I got a line on a Miata gas tank, If it fits well I should be able to convert to Dual Exhaust. The Miata tank is 2'x2.5'x10" comes with the pump and regulator. Though I might need to adjust the flow to a higher rate. We'll see when I get there. Tank is Approx 10 gal.

that's about it for now. been quite a while I've been amassing parts.

• 3 months later...

OKay Hey, finally I got a reprieve from my landscaping weekend chore/second unpaid job that I buy all the supplies for.

So I finally got time to work on the Z. I cleaned up the garage and spent Saturday pulling the old engine.

post-4150-013496500 1288049172_thumb.jpg

Hood off disconnecting things

post-4150-032657100 1288049201_thumb.jpg

Draining all fluids

post-4150-059879700 1288049238_thumb.jpg

6 hours later actually pulling the engine. This was suprisingly easy, I would have had it done more quickly if I wasn't being so careful. I want to sell the old parts so I didn't cut anything, and I've been labelling parts.

post-4150-055538300 1288049255_thumb.jpg

Old engine sitting in my truck.

Next I've got some cleanup to do, powerwashing the engine compartment. Removing more of the old now unneeded old parts like the Coil, vaccuum canister, misc bits here and there. I haven't decided yet how much of the new wiring I'm going to use, such as 350Z signals and headlamp circuits. I have the harness, but I'm not sure yet of the integrations between the 350x/280z harnesses, or if hydridizing the two is worth the trouble since I found a lot of the 280Z connectors are 30+ years corroded in some of the less sealed connections.

I also left the 280Z AC pump and system intact. I may be able to build a bracket and change the AC pully to use the old system since it still worked, and I wouldn't have to worry about refridgerant issues and seals. May not be worth it, but we'll see. Oh the U-joints on the 350z sttering shaft look like they'll be awesome for redirecting my steering linkage.

I am concerned about the VQ35HR intake height. it's a tall plastic plenum. On the good side it may be easy to shave a bit off the top, though worst case I'll have to build a custom intake like Mark's thinking.

Any Questions let me know.

Pharaoh

Edited by Pharaohabq

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates? B)

Yup!

I worked on a Z a few hours this weekend. Didn't quite get everything cleaned up in the compartments, but I figured I'd like to see how the new engine is going to fix before I really tear into things.

I did realize I didn't want to tear into the old harnesses until I know what systems I've going to keep, and which I'm going to replace. Though some things are definitely going to have to go, such as the vacuum reservoir and most of the stuff on the passenger side inner fender.

I hoisted up the new engine and began dropping it into place little by little guiding it past the brake lines and AC lines (yes I've going to try to keep the stock AC system, though I doubt I'll be able to keep it intact enough that I won't have to get it recharged. gotta change the AC pully).

Enough blabbling tho, here's some picts:

post-4150-050651200 1289256096_thumb.jpg

This Image shows the VQ35HR block is fra from clearing the stock crossmember. I'm hoping a little more squeezing will at least let me clear the steering rack.

post-4150-012883600 1289256125_thumb.jpg

Top view of the Rack issue.

post-4150-088468200 1289256147_thumb.jpg

Much better view, Note the oilpan sitting on the rack. 350Z engine mount just back from the stock 280Z mount. The steering shaft just below that will need to be moved.

post-4150-088843900 1289256180_thumb.jpg

This shows that top back of the engine. Big difference between the HR and DE engines here. The DE has a huge intake that makes it required to cut off the hood latch. the HR almost clears with the brake vaccuum line barely touching now. the intakes are on the sides.

I expect that once I remove the steering crossmember and drop the engine to a more level angle that this won't be an issue. Already you can see the back of the engine is below hood level, the front is lightly tapered so I don't expect this fit to be too much trouble. Though a skid plate is still going to be mandatory since I expect it'll hang down about an inch or so below the steering crossmember. I'm waiting to level the engine before I build the tranny mount plate.

The Steering crossmember. I'm thinking I'll have to get some plate and triangulate the crossmember rack mounts to in front of the steering rack. the existing crossmember I may cut into a U shape upside down for clearance, much like Austin did, but even more so. I'd like at least an inch of clearance, but I don't want to move the rack. At least not much at all if I can help it.

LEt me know if you have any questions.

Phar

Okay, I removed the engine crossmember and found the engine still is going to sit a litt far forward unless I remove or at least change a lot of the AC piping. Not too hard to do, but a pain that I have to do it. couple more picts:

post-4150-076926700 1289520940_thumb.jpg

Gotta remove the stock tranny mounts duh, forgot that.

post-4150-028446100 1289520890_thumb.jpg

This is about an inch lower than the engine will actually sit in the bay. basically won't be any lower than the fron sway bar. so that's good.

post-4150-021385800 1289520918_thumb.jpg

This shows the AC pipes that actually are sticking out about 3 inches from the firewall. I'd prefer maybe an inch tops. I don't want the engine to rub anything. Gold pipe on lower center is actualy a waterline I'll replace with rubber hose to avoid AC piping. rubber hose on right is the Brake vaccuum tube.

post-4150-023924800 1289520979_thumb.jpg

The stock crossmember.

post-4150-081466400 1289521444_thumb.jpg

This in an idea for the crossmember redesign. The Steering rack mounts would actually be mounted more vertically putting them almost over the 1.5" sq tubing. flat stock for bracing shown would be massaged to clear the lower block. I'd like at least an inch clearance. We'll see how it fits when I get the engine mounts in.

post-4150-025896900 1289521768_thumb.jpg

Engine mount will need to be about level with the top of the frame rail for engine to clear hood. Exhaust is going to be a tight squeeze.

That's it till likely after the weekend. we'll see how it goes.

let me know if you have any questions.

Phar

So I've been doing a little work, but it's been slow due to relatives being in tow. I went yeserday and bought some 3/16" thick 4" wide flat stock to build my engine mounts out of and to use for gussets and whatever. I want to use the Stock 350z hydro engine mounts since vibrations really bother me but I don't know how much they compress yet so I'll need to clamp on some steel to the frame and drill a couple holes to try them out in a non perminent setup. This will be good to so I can test my hood fitament at the same time with the hoist out of the way.

I'm waiting on my Energy suspension kit to get here too, since I've got the front all apart, I might as well replace things while I'm at it (I know dangerous words "while I'm at it..." )

Anyway that;s it for not, any questions let me know.

Phar